Grow It Long Challenge Keep Growing On...

Well I went to my stylist for a trim, and came out with a 2-4 inch cut and shape. I SPECIFICALLY told her MULTIPLE times NOT to even up or shape my hair. Just lightly trim it and she cut off this year's progress! I was 1" away from the top of bsl, to collar bone length. I am so upset. I know it's only hair and it will grow back, but I am so upset about this! Never again, I will NOT go back to her.

Boo! That sucks. It's a rare stylist that you can trust with scissors. Do you feel comfortable trimming your own hair? I think at the length you are it shouldn't be too difficult.

@ajargon02

ITA with @Dee Raven it might help your hair growth progress of you learned how to trim your own hair. Stylists routinely even things up very few listen or understand that you want to grow your hair out longer they don't care about your hair goals so be mindful of that. I haven't been to a stylist or let a stylist come at me with scissors in years and that's one of the main reasons I was able to retain length. Even now when I have an occasion Ibe learned how to do some elegant bit simple styles myself. Last occasion I had to have a complicated updo I couldn't style myself I made it clear I was there for a blowout and style no trims no cuts at all. She still had the nerve to say why don't you wear your hair straight (i.e. Segway to a relaxer) and she said oh well next time you come on we can trim things up. (I have a natural V shape it's not damaged or split that's just the way my hair grows)
Mind you even she was raving about how healthy and thick my hair was. :rolleyes:
What she really meant was, your hair is long and healthy but it's just too much hair for ME to deal with on a regular basis so I'll hack off most of it to BSL or apl length so it's a length I can manage. That way you'll have to come in every 2 weeks for me to take care of it for you.
I've never gone back since.

@ajargon02

ITA with @Dee Raven it might help your hair growth progress of you learned how to trim your own hair. Stylists routinely even things up very few listen or understand that you want to grow your hair out longer they don't care about your hair goals so be mindful of that. I haven't been to a stylist or let a stylist come at me with scissors in years and that's one of the main reasons I was able to retain length. Even now when I have an occasion Ibe learned how to do some elegant bit simple styles myself. Last occasion I had to have a complicated updo I couldn't style myself I made it clear I was there for a blowout and style no trims no cuts at all. She still had the nerve to say why don't you wear your hair straight (i.e. Segway to a relaxer) and she said oh well next time you come on we can trim things up. (I have a natural V shape it's not damaged or split that's just the way my hair grows)
Mind you even she was raving about how healthy and thick my hair was. :rolleyes:
What she really meant was, your hair is long and healthy but it's just too much hair for ME to deal with on a regular basis so I'll hack off most of it to BSL or apl length so it's a length I can manage. That way you'll have to come in every 2 weeks for me to take care of it for you.
I've never gone back since.

I have trimmed my hair for years. This was supposed to be a "treat" so I didn't have to do it myself for once.

Weekend :
Wash: Chagrin Valley babassu and marshmallow shampoo bar
Clarify: acv diluted with water
DC: Mongongo and Hemp Masque with coconut oil under heat cap 30 minutes
LI: rose water mist, CRN Moisture Milk
Seal: Macademia Nut Oil
2 flat twists

Today
CW: Suave Shea butter and almond conditioner
Scalp massage: MTG
LI: Ayurvedic mist, CRN Moisture Milk
Sealant: Castor Oil
2 Pokohantas Braids

Last edited:
CW: Suave Shea butter and almond conditioner
Scalp massage: MTG, Ayurvedic oil
LI: Ayurvedic mist, CRN Moisture Milk - focus on ends
Sealant: jojoba oil and Castor Oil -focus on ends
2 Pokohantas Braids

Whenever my hair feels dry or I having some shedding I up my moisture CW or WW and hit the castor oil hard

Vitamin update:
HF-37 2 step with Protein booster 2x daily
Viviscal Extra Strength 2 X daily
Biotin 5,000 mcg 1x daily
Bamboo 300 mg capsules 1x daily
Vitamin C 500mg chewables 2 X daily
1L filtered water daily

I've dropped my prenatal multis it would be too much.

Last edited:
Today I:

Color
with Matrix Demi Permanent color in black
Shampoo with Macadamia Natural Oil Moisturizing Shampoo

Deep Condition with NG Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm Conditioner - I really need some more of this conditioner and I will purchase the large jar next with the Mango and Coconut Conditioner as well.

Bunning damp hair using CRN Curl Maker under Wetline Xtreme Gel.
Seal with HQS Coconut Lime Oil

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & Bye Bye Parabens Healing Oil.
  • DC'd for an hour under a heat cap with a mix of Honey's Handmade Yucca & Mango & Tulsi ayurvedic powder.
  • Shampoo'd with TJ Tea Tree, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, Reconstructed with SSI Okra, 80% R/W with ACV & V05 Free Me Freesia.
  • LCOB'd with L = Jakeala Pineapple & LRC Shake 'n Go, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = DIY mix, B = Hairitage Hydration Caramel Frappucino on scalp.

Weekend: Overnight: Coconut oil, plastic cap
Protein DC: eggs and garlic masque, 15m heat cap
Moisture DC: Cholesterol 15 m heat cap
Clarify: ACV Dilited with water then Rinsed out with water
Leave in: Shea moisture kids moisture and detangling spray, Infusium 23 Original
Cream: CRN Moisture Milk
Sealant: Argan oil

I like doing my DC on the weekends so much easier to keep up.

I'm going to be shampooing and DCing tonight in prep for mini braids. I really think this is one of my staples styles to help me grow it long.

• Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz.
  • DC'd for 2 hours with Ynobe Amla & Nettle.
  • Scrubbed scalp with CC's Natural Lavender & Chamomile, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, 80% ACV & V05 Free Me Freesia R/O.
  • LCOB'd with L = Ion Repair, C = Oyin Hair Dew, O = DIY mix, B = Hairitage Hydration Caramel Frappucino on scalp & Kyra's Shea Baby Powder on ends.

http://www.naturalhairrules.com/differences-castor-oil-jamaican-black-castor-oil/

3 Differences Between Castor Oil and Jamaican Black Castor Oil

castor-oil-jamaican-black-castor-oil.png

Castor oil has long been revered for its properties that encourage healthy hair growth. The two types of castor oil are: (yellow) castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil(JBCO). But what is the difference between the two? It is a common question among naturals everywhere. Although they are close cousins, castor oil and JBCO, have some key differences. You’ll want to keep them in mind the next time you are shopping for hair products.

See Also: Using Castor Oil for Hair Loss or Thinning Edges

What is castor oil?

Before we review the key differences between castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil, we must define castor oil. Castor oil is often nicknamed a “miracle oil” because it’s used for many health and beauty treatments. It’s derived from castor beans and often used as a lubricant and other uses. Made by pressing the seeds of the castor oil plant, it is comprised of 18 fatty acids. The castor bean is originally from Africa and due to the slave trade, it made it’s way to Jamaica.

Key Differences:

Processing

Both yellow castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil are made from the castor bean, but all their differences are due to the processing method utilized. Yellow castor oil is made by pressing fresh castor beans; there is no heat involved. Thus, the term cold-pressed. With no heat, there is lower risk of degrading the oil. It is important to note that some manufacturers use chemicals in their process. Jamaican black castor oil is developed by first roasting the bean. Thus resulting in a dark color (and burnt smell) from the ash of the roasted castor beans. This is the method used in Jamaica.

Color

The most obvious difference between the two oils is the color. Traditional castor oil is usually a yellow color; the lighter it is, the more pure. Jamaican black castor oil, on the other hand, is a darker color due the to burnt ashes of the castor bean.

PH-Level

The way a castor bean is processed can result in differences in the ph and consistency of the resulting product. The ash found in JBCO results in a higher pH (alkaline) product that is believed to have more clarifying properties. In fact, alkaline pH levels can help open cuticles.

Benefits

Both types of castor oil, are known for being heavier oils — perfect for the cold and winter months. Packed with fatty acids, they have many benefits for the scalp and hair. For example, ricinoleic acid — one of the 18 fatty acids found in castor oil — is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is no wonder that castor oil is so often used for scalp conditions and hair growth. Both yellow castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil benefit the hair, but due to the roasting of the castor bean, there are some added benefits for using JBCO.

If you enjoyed this post, read: “Why Castor Oil May Cause Itching and What to Do About It

Do you use castor oil in your hair regimen? How do you use castor oil in your hair regimen?

Latoya is an academic advisor by day, natural hair enthusiast/writer by night, and wife and mom 24/7. Her last relaxer was in April 2010 and she big chopped in October 2010. As a Natural Hair Rules contributor, she shares tools and techniques so that women can find what best suits them, their hair, and lifestyle.

WW detangled w KKNT
Leave ins: SM kids moisture and detangling spray and Infusium 23
Cream: CRN moisture milk
Oil: Argan

Last edited:
I think I am going to have to stop taking my hair skin and nail vitamins. My skin is going absolutely crazy and this is the only thing that has changed in my regimen right now.

Since summer is almost over, I should be able to retain better under my wigs. That's my fall and winter protective style.

I think I am going to have to stop taking my hair skin and nail vitamins. My skin is going absolutely crazy and this is the only thing that has changed in my regimen right now.

Since summer is almost over, I should be able to retain better under my wigs. That's my fall and winter protective style.

Are you drinking enough water? If not slowly up your water intake and cut back on the vitamins like half your usual dose for a while.

Are you drinking enough water? If not slowly up your water intake and cut back on the vitamins like half your usual dose for a while.

Actually no and I totally hadn't realized it until you just asked. We're making a system transition at work so I had to move my water bottle off my desk. I'll move it back and let them be mad.

Actually no and I totally hadn't realized it until you just asked. We're making a system transition at work so I had to move my water bottle off my desk. I'll move it back and let them be mad.

When I started back with the hair vitamins I had to make sure I drank enough water 1st week started breaking out. I'm up to 1-2 L a day now.
But don't go overboard At each sitting sip your water all day long and you'll get it done.
Can you keep it in your desk or under on the side when your not there.

Last edited:
Right now I have some Redken Extreme Builder Plus mixed with AVJ and Avocado oil on my hair for maybe 20 minutes as aprepoo/DC on dry hair.

Shampoo with Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo

Possible Oil Rinse with hot Avocado oil

Moisture DC with NG Marshmallow Root DC mixed with SSI Riche Moisture Masque. I only have a little of the NG Marshmallow leftover so I have to make it up to fit my whole head.

Leave-In using NG Hibiscus & Honey Leave in conditioner.

The following occurred on Thursday - today:
  • Pre-poo'd overnight with AVJ spritz & Ojon Damage Reverse.
  • DC'd for 2 hours under turban with SM Tahitian Noni & Moni.
  • Shampoo'd with TJ Tea Tree Tingle, CW'd with TVO Apple Cleansing, Reconstructed with SSI Okra & Aphogee Curlific Texture Treatment, & 80% R/O of ACV & V05 Free Me Freesia.
  • LCO'd: L = LRC Shake 'n Go, C = 100 pumps of Oyin Hair Dew & Curly Kinks Satin Roots, O = Hydrathermal Naturals Growth on scalp & DIY on length.

As of late I have been using a spray bottle with Trader Joe's Spa Nourish Conditioner, tap water, glycerin, apricot oil, & coconut oil. I use this as a spritz daily. Followed by Trader Joe's Aloe Vera Gel. I've noticed within the last 3-4 weeks of using this concoction my hair is soft, and experiencing less breakage/shedding.

Back