Grew hair from SL to BSL in 1 Year and No One Noticed?

ChristmasCarol

I'm sorry they haven't noticed...I haven't worn my hair straight since November and people have commented about how much bigger my puffs and the overall thickness of my hair...I'll let you know how people react when I straighten Friday...It probably would be a bit disheartening if no one said anything about the obvious growth. We work so hard on our hair, so it is nice when people notice it...

THANK YOU!

You get it. :yep:

HappilyLiberal

I'm not bothered, just somewhat perplexed. When I change up any little thing (jewelry, clothing, etc), it seems that everyone notices, but just not my hair.

The reason I started this thread is because I'm a classic hairnorexic and even I was astounded by how much longer my hair looks today!

Poka, did you always have "longish" hair? My hair's never been longer than CBL, so it can't be that people are used to it.

Oh well...

You give me hope!!!!!:yep:

ChristmasCarol

Okay, I asked my bff what she thought. She says they don't pay any attention because I always kept my hair "cut" at that length in a blunt bob. She says that keeping it at a certain length because that is your desired hairstyle is totally different than someone whose hair stayed at SL because they never retained more length. Therefore, they prolly just figure I'll be cutting it back again soon anyway. This is why they think I always had "long hair", even though it's never been long.

She sometimes cuts her hair to between APL/BSL, and her mother went crazy the first time! But now her mom doesn't say anything nutty when she cuts her hair cuz she knows it'll grow back to MBL fairly quickly.

That makes sense to me and that's probably why they don't say anything at all.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
sometimes, when people see you making progress, they don't want to say anything, lest they let their negative feelings be known. ♥

aymone

I'm proud of you! Good job and I do believe that they are jealous. People don't usually think that Black women can grow long hair, so since they haven't tried to prove the fallacy of this statement they have accepted the fate of their hair. Therefore you proving it wrong is hurtful because people are always wondering how come I didn't think of that first or something else that is negative.

In the meantime, I hope you will grow your hair to waist length, LOL!!! Then let's see if they keep quiet. But all of that should give you the motivation to continue on your hair journey and taking care of your hair.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i'm not sure what their deal is, but congrats on your growth!

(i tend to think it's jealousy...like "i can't be bothered to say something nice to her" kinda jealousy, but it could also be that they just don't care. so i don't want to perpetuate either viewpoint)

your hair is beautiful regardless!!! and we care :)

1god1

I thought there was about 6 mos. between each milestone, so I don't think FULL SL to BSL in 13 months is anything out of the usual - if you don't have setbacks, that is.

My reggie is:

Do not cut/trim more than 1/2" every 3/4 months

Co-wash 3/4 times/wk with any old cheapie condish leaving some on my ends

DC 1/2 times/wk

I don't use any moisturizers, leave ins, etc.

Pre-poo w/EVOO/CO/Grapeseed oil overnight before each shampoo

Shampoo with diluted (8:1 ratio) poo to water every 6 wks

NO curling irons

Flatiron once a month or less

Rollerset on large purple magnetics for straight styles

BKT relaxed ends every 3/4 months (I think this is why I've not had any breakage of the relaxed part from the natural hair)

I guess that's it. Nothing really exciting.

How come you don't use leave-ins or moisturizers?

ChristmasCarol

How come you don't use leave-ins or moisturizers?

Having "stuff" on my hair gives me the creeps. I feel like it's dirty. If my hair seems a little dry, I co-wash and it's fine for a few more days. In the winter, I do use grapeseed oil - it's so light I can't tell it's there.

Carrie A

No one

I hope the thread doesn't come off as whining, I'm not. I was just wondering why my family/friends don't notice my hair's substantially longer than it was just one year ago and if anyone else has experienced this type of "hair invisibility".

They probably see you often and so they are used to your hair. They don't take in the length change like someone who hasn't seen you in a while- especially if you wear it down often. When I was relaxed I experienced hair invisibility. I grew my hair from short to "long" a couple of time (Not by LHCF standard though) without too many comments.

mixedchick01

your hair looks great. I tend to believe the jealousy theory though. some people can't compliment what they are secretly hating ESPECIALLY if they don't have long hair. i really don't know many women who don't care about their hair. Its always the first thing i notice about another woman but maybe i'm superficial :)

ChristmasCarol

2012 UPDATE!!!

The lady who sits behind me in church said, "Your hair's getting looong" - I immediately thought of this thread :lol:

It was the first hair comment I've received since starting my HHJ in 2009.

So yeah, that's the update :look:

BTW - I've cut a few more inches of relaxed hair and I'm now 3" from WL.

Last edited:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
2012 UPDATE!!!

The lady who sits behind me in church said, "Your hair's getting looong" - I immediately thought of this thread :lol:

It was the first hair comment I've received since starting my HHJ in 2009.

So yeah, that's the update :look:

BTW - I've cut a few more inches of relaxed hair and I'm now 3" from WL.

Congrats to you girlie!! I still can't believe nobody ever said anything. Your hair looks great!!

Garner

sipp100, I am truly amazed by your growth and tenacity to transition for 3.5 yrs. Your hair is beautiful and I can hardly wait until all of the relaxed end are totally off! lol I know you will be sharing pics of that memorable day. :)

diadall

Here is a jealousy check...
Randomly say you are thinking of cutting for the summer because its so hot on your neck.

If they are all for a Bingo! Yahtzee!

ETA: sorry just noticed this is an old thread!

Last edited:

virtuenow

I reached some hair milestones and some people close to me didn't say anything. So I just asked them why (my sister is one). It turns out my hair was getting longer but also much thinner at the same time. I was blind to the condition of my hair. I got honest responses that caused me to re-evaluate my hair and my regimen. Now I am on a healthy track that (when I reveal) cannot be denied. So I encourage you to just ask your sister why she hasn't said anything. You guys should be close enough to have that discussion; or you can ask other relatives; and it should produce (in the least) an interesting dialogue.

Evolving78

they notice. women notice everything. i'm sorry, but there are too many busted looking wigs and weaves around the world for women not to be into hair. they may or may not be jelly, but they do notice. btw, you and your dds's hair is amazing. you have done such a good job!

ChristmasCarol

Here is a jealousy check...
Randomly say you are thinking of cutting for the summer because its so hot on your neck.

If they are all for a Bingo! Yahtzee!

ETA: sorry just noticed this is an old thread!

diadall

That's a good one!

Don't be sorry, I bumped it for my raggedy lil' update :lachen:

ChristmasCarol

@virtuenow

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm sure your hair will be back to optimum health now that you've identified your issues :yep:

As for my sister - at some point last year, my niece said something about cutting my hair for me, and my sister said, "She's not cutting her hair anymore". She wouldn't say that if she hadn't noticed that it's twice as long as it was a couple years ago.

ChristmasCarol

After reading thousands of threads the past couple years, I have noticed that many people ask about childhood hair length- as an indicator of potential growth, I suppose. That got me thinking...

I did say that I hadn't ever worn my hair longer than collar-bone length, but that was as an adult. I had long hair as a child, so relatives probably aren't that surprised when they see me with long hair, now.

I still felt happy when that lady said that to me, though! Now I'm waiting for something exciting enough to post in the "Long Hair Ladies, can I live vicariously" Thread. :giggle:

I'd like to thank God, my mother, my father, and everyone who has shared in this special moment. :flowers:

:lol::lachen::lol:

Dove56

I started transitioning 13 months ago at SL. One year later, I'm at BSL and no one has noticed! I don't mean my daughters and husband, I mean everyone else (family/friends/church members) I come into contact with. My own sister has never even said one word to me about my hair. No questions, no weave checks...nada.

I'm not expecting people to be amazed or excited, but I just wonder why no one has ever mentioned that my hair is much longer and thicker. BTW, I've never worn my hair this long, I wore a SL/CBL blunt bob for 20+ years. Sometimes I wonder if they don't think it looks nice, so they don't want to say anything. :perplexed But strangers tell me my hair is pretty, so IDK.

Is it just me, or have any of you grown your hair out to BSL and beyond from SL hair and no one noticed?

I don't know how anyone can NOT notice your beautiful hair!!! Anyhoo, some people only notice when you get it cut. :look:

Dove56

yup...one time i went to a hair meeting w/ lhcf members and members from another hair board. Don't you know they all sat there complimenting each others hair and not one word was said to me. not one! so yeah maybe what they said.
Congratulations:)

Wow. That's so freakin ridiculous. I can't stand haters. If it's fabulous is fabulous. Why does it kill people to compliment someone else?

naheda72

Nah, anyone who knows me at all, knows that I am the ultimate "tomboy" when it comes to artificiality. No makeup, no nail polish - I don't even have pierced ears, lol!

Well, Everyone knows I don't wear weave in addition it is against my religion and they still asked me yesterday if it was a weave and told me they were going to feel for tracks before I left.

MzSwift

LoL!
I grew my hair from CL to about BSB last year and I didn't even notice!

I posted pix in a thread and someone else pointed it out me. SMH.

HappilyLiberal

Wow. That's so freakin ridiculous. I can't stand haters. If it's fabulous is fabulous. Why does it kill people to compliment someone else?

Yep it's that same Haterade that has kept Sylver2 from being Feature of the Month here... Despite the fact that she was always helpful in answering other people's questions!:nono: :nono: :perplexed

kinkycurlygurl

OP, Hair growth is gradual you hit a lot of different lenghts between shoulder and APL, maybe, they got used to your length in the year or so it took to grow out. You'd be amazed at how quickly people come to think the hair length you have now is the length you've always had.