Grew hair from SL to BSL in 1 Year and No One Noticed?

ChristmasCarol

I started transitioning 13 months ago at SL. One year later, I'm at BSL and no one has noticed! I don't mean my daughters and husband, I mean everyone else (family/friends/church members) I come into contact with. My own sister has never even said one word to me about my hair. No questions, no weave checks...nada.

I'm not expecting people to be amazed or excited, but I just wonder why no one has ever mentioned that my hair is much longer and thicker. BTW, I've never worn my hair this long, I wore a SL/CBL blunt bob for 20+ years. Sometimes I wonder if they don't think it looks nice, so they don't want to say anything. :perplexed But strangers tell me my hair is pretty, so IDK.

Is it just me, or have any of you grown your hair out to BSL and beyond from SL hair and no one noticed?

brucebettye

Your family, church members, and friends have noticed, but they are jealous. Also sometimes people just don't want to say something nice. I have some good friends and that don't say anything about my weight loss or hair growth and I know it is just because they are jealous. My coworkers always take about my weight loss and hair so I know everyone can see it. Believe me they are noticing. By the way your hair is beautiful.

JJamiah

I have had two comments and that was before about 2006. People were like is that yours, and everyone around the table asked (maybe considered more) but then another friend asked that same year. NO one says nada to me now. I have BC'd since 2007. They said :blush: then.

ChristmasCarol

Your family, church members, and friends have noticed, but they are jealous. Also sometimes people just don't want to say something nice. I have some good friends and that don't say anything about my weight loss or hair growth and I know it is just because they are jealous. My coworkers always take about my weight loss and hair so I know everyone can see it. Believe me they are noticing. By the way your hair is beautiful.

Thank you for the compliment BB. I don't think they're jealous (at least I hope not) - I don't recall anyone ever mentioning being "into" hair or wanting to grow it out long.

Vintageglam

OP I think your family think you are rocking a weave hence why they are not talking about it out of politeness. They probably think you are being different by rocking a natural looking weave as opposed to a bone laxed type weave and so do not want to be rude by talking about your weave.

My advice - wear your hair in a couple of puffs or half/up down rollerset and then you will hear the jaws hitting the floor....

BTW your hair ir gorgeous :yep:

Beverly Ann Properties

I care and congratulations!!! I am praying to have bsl hair in a year from now, just like you. As long as you know you have accomplished a major milestone~ let the haters be!

ChristmasCarol

I have had two comments and that was before about 2006. People were like is that yours, and everyone around the table asked (maybe considered more) but then another friend asked that same year. NO one says nada to me now. I have BC'd since 2007. They said :blush: then.

OK, so maybe it's not that odd. When I read threads with other members talking about all the haters, weave checks, questions or comments re: their hair, it makes me wonder why no one has ever said a word to me about hair.

ChristmasCarol

Maybe they think you're wearing tracks/weaves. Nonetheless, congratulations!

Nah, anyone who knows me at all, knows that I am the ultimate "tomboy" when it comes to artificiality. No makeup, no nail polish - I don't even have pierced ears, lol!

HappilyLiberal

I wouldn't say they are jealous. Maybe they just don't give a crap.

dachsies_rule!

They think its a weave. My family hadn't said anything about my hair until recently i let my cousin put a french braid in it. Then i was getting compliments and they wanted to get hair advice on how i grew my hair that long.

ChristmasCarol

OP I think your family think you are rocking a weave hence why they are not talking about it out of politeness. They probably think you are being different by rocking a natural looking weave as opposed to a bone laxed type weave and so do not want to be rude by talking about your weave.

My advice - wear your hair in a couple of puffs or half/up down rollerset and then you will hear the jaws hitting the floor....

Thanks, PR. No, they know I'd never wear a weave, and they aren't polite AT ALL, so if they thought it was a weave, they'd let me have it!

My natural hair doesn't really "puff" or look different than my texlax, so there's really nothing to "reveal" I wear my hair in styles that are obviously not weave-like. The styles are not fabulous enough to be confused w/weave, lol

ChristmasCarol

Possibly. But, where I live, it's not common to see BW wear short hair for many decades and then grow it long in a year or two. Even when I didn't give a crap about hair - my whole life, 'til last year, there's no way I wouldn't have noticed if a family/friend grew their hair out in a short time period.

Lynnerie

Thank you for the compliment BB. I don't think they're jealous (at least I hope not) - I don't recall anyone ever mentioning being "into" hair or wanting to grow it out long.

Well there you have it. Not everyone cares about hair growth or long hair like we do. And just because no one says anything doesn't mean their jealous or hatin.

Nevertheless, your hair looks healthy! Congrats on your growth.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I doubt if they're jealous. Some people just don't care about hair like we do here, lol. It's just not that serious to them. Also I agree with the poster that said some people just don't often give complements or want to say something nice.

Plenty of people never comment on my growth or my hair period but it dosen't bother me at all.

ChristmasCarol

I doubt if they're jealous. Some people just don't care about hair like we do here, lol. It's just not that serious to them. Also I agree with the poster that said some people just don't often give complements or want to say something nice.

Plenty of people never comment on my growth or my hair period but it dosen't bother me at all.

I'm not bothered, just somewhat perplexed. When I change up any little thing (jewelry, clothing, etc), it seems that everyone notices, but just not my hair.

The reason I started this thread is because I'm a classic hairnorexic and even I was astounded by how much longer my hair looks today!

Poka, did you always have "longish" hair? My hair's never been longer than CBL, so it can't be that people are used to it.

Oh well...

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm not bothered, just somewhat perplexed. When I change up any little thing (jewelry, clothing, etc), it seems that everyone notices, but just not my hair.

The reason I started this thread is because I'm a classic hairnorexic and even I was astounded by how much longer my hair looks today!

Poka, did you always have "longish" hair? My hair's never been longer than CBL, so it can't be that people are used to it.

Oh well...
Yes, I've always had a pretty good length so I get what you're saying.

You've done an awesome job girl so be proud of yourself. Congrats on your growth!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Congrats!!

Yea Idk about them being "jealous" they probably just don't pay as much attention to hair as we do here

LovelyNaps26

That's what I'm thinkin. I started my HHJ in November 2009 and can tell you that folks don't want to ask about what they believe to be a weave. A few weeks ago i was with my family and after i returned home my mom told me that my dad asked her if all the hair on my head was mine. Mind you this is my father and he could have just asked me. Also, one of my girls complimented my hair when I had a stretched twist out but didn't admit until someone else asked about it directly that she thought it was a curly half wig I wore last summer. Mind you, I'm only APL so I can imagine what pple will think when I get to BSL. I guarantee that at least half of them pple think you have a few track sewn in or extensions and don't feel a need to point out what they believe to be the obvious reason for your length.

Last edited:

Shananyganz

Uhmm skip allat...I notice and I'm trying to find out reggie info so I can do the same. I'm. Just. Saying. SL to BSL in a year?? Yaaasssssss...come up off the information real proper like cause I'mma need that. Please and Thank you..LOL

All jokes aside, I don't know what the "average" time is for that kind of growth; especially if we take into consideration height, torso length, neck versus no neck, and the rising of the venus moon over mars (rolls eyes). EITHER WAY (best Katt Williams sing-song voice ever) I need to know. I am on a MISSION and your story is the inspiration I need...so..uhmmm...what gives??

~S~

ChristmasCarol

Congrats!!

Yea Idk about them being "jealous" they probably just don't pay as much attention to hair as we do here

No one pays as much attention to hair as LHCF members.:lachen:

I don't pay close attention to other's hair either, but still, if I knew someone w/shoulder length hair for 40+ years and then they grew their hair down their back, I'm about 1000% sure that it wouldn't escape my notice.

I hope the thread doesn't come off as whining, I'm not. I was just wondering why my family/friends don't notice my hair's substantially longer than it was just one year ago and if anyone else has experienced this type of "hair invisibility".

ChristmasCarol

That's what I'm thinkin. I started my HHJ in November 2009 and can tell you that folks don't want to ask about what they believe to be a weave. A few weeks ago i was with my family and after i returned home my mom told me that my dad asked her if all the hair on my head was mine. Mind you this is my father and he could have just asked me. Also, one of my girls complimented my hair when I had a stretched twist out but didn't admit until someone else asked about it directly that she thought it was a curly half wig I wore last summer. Mind you, I'm only APL so I can imagine what pple will think when I get to BSL. I guarantee that at least half of them pple think you have a few track sewn in or extensions and don't feel a need to point out what they believe to be the obvious reason for your length.

I just don't think that's it, but maybe. I wear my hair in one or two French braids and other styles (half-up/half down,Poka braids, Celie plaits) that no one would ever mistake for weave. Plus, I have an odd hair color that prolly couldn't be matched that well.

ChristmasCarol

Uhmm skip allat...I notice and I'm trying to find out reggie info so I can do the same. I'm. Just. Saying. SL to BSL in a year?? Yaaasssssss...come up off the information real proper like cause I'mma need that. Please and Thank you..LOL

All jokes aside, I don't know what the "average" time is for that kind of growth; especially if we take into consideration height, torso length, neck versus no neck, and the rising of the venus moon over mars (rolls eyes). EITHER WAY (best Katt Williams sing-song voice ever) I need to know. I am on a MISSION and your story is the inspiration I need...so..uhmmm...what gives??

~S~

I thought there was about 6 mos. between each milestone, so I don't think FULL SL to BSL in 13 months is anything out of the usual - if you don't have setbacks, that is.

My reggie is:

Do not cut/trim more than 1/2" every 3/4 months

Co-wash 3/4 times/wk with any old cheapie condish leaving some on my ends

DC 1/2 times/wk

I don't use any moisturizers, leave ins, etc.

Pre-poo w/EVOO/CO/Grapeseed oil overnight before each shampoo

Shampoo with diluted (8:1 ratio) poo to water every 6 wks

NO curling irons

Flatiron once a month or less

Rollerset on large purple magnetics for straight styles

BKT relaxed ends every 3/4 months (I think this is why I've not had any breakage of the relaxed part from the natural hair)

I guess that's it. Nothing really exciting.

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I agree with everyone's comments. I honestly believe that there are soooooo many women wearing weaves/wigs nowadays that it's the norm to see long hair and not think twice of whether or not it's theirs (grew out of their scalp that is). With the lacefront wigs they're getting kinda hard for me to spot and I always thought I was the instant weave detector LOL.

But I kinda feel the same way when I don't get compliments. If I didn't have pictures to see results I'd be hairnorexic too.

It's kinda like the way you feel about a new perfume. If you wear it and you don't get any compliments you start second-guessing whether or not it smells nice and you don't enjoy wearing it as much as one that gets you compliments.

Kash

that's what i'm thinking. not everyone is into hair! people are not obligated to fawn over your hair.
maybe your hair does not look good to them. many people are struggling with personal problems, and the last thing on their mind is some random woman's hair!

ChristmasCarol

Do people who wear weaves wear styles like Celie Braids/plaits? I've never seen a weave that you can part into 18 different "boxes" for plaits and then wear other braids or plaits the next day w/diff. parts. I also wear it twisted when it is damp, but they don't look that good, either. Nothing about my hair says I've installed a weave (to people who know me). Besides, if I got a weave, the length change would be instantaneous. I doubt anyone re-installs a weave that's 1/2" to 1" longer each month, lol.

Thanks ladies, for all your replies!