Glamtwinz334 They tempt me to "Heat Train"

Boujoichic

The Glamtwinz hair is gorgeous they wear it straight primarily and take a break from heat by wearing it curly during the summer. From the curly vids you can see they definitely have some Heat Damage but It's not as bad as I would expect seeing as they flatiron every week. Check out their videos below

CurlyRoutine Video

Gorgeous Straight Hair

Ive been natural for almost 2 years now My hair type a 3C/4a and I love my curls but lately I have been considering just wearing my hair straight primarily. I suffer from SSK's and the detangling sessions I have gone though after wearing my natural curls loose :sad:. I rarely wear my hair loose because of these things. If I do wear it loose I have to stretch it by braiding or twisting to avoid any issues. If I can't enjoy my curls anyway why not "Heat Train"

Anyone else have issues with wearing their hair loose?
Ladies please share any thoughts or suggestions?

Their hair is really pretty, but everyone's hair doesn't react to heat-training the same way. Some heat-trained hair has curly and bone straight bits jumbled all over the head. IME, a uniform curl pattern after heat-training is not the norm.

Not saying you shouldn't try it, just be aware that it may mean you could no longer wear wash 'n gos or other curly styles - especially with hair that is already a mix of textures (3c/4a)

I have a mix of 3c/4a and I have to tell ya since I've added Grapeseed oil and blow drying straight to my life I hardly get knots. No more lose wild curls, I have to bantu knot and twistouts for curly looks.......

And for straight styles grapeseed oil is the BEST! No reversion or dryness.:up:
Olive oil caused more problems than good.:ohwell: I'm recovering.

They have lovely hair...but so do you. I would say maybe try wearing more styles like twist outs/braid outs and etc. I'd hate for you to damage your hair.

Thanks for the response sipp Ive had a lil heat damage before and yup there were straight pieces I had it cut off. I'm not expecting a uniform curl pattern at all. But I cant enjoy my wash and go's anyway because of all the SSK's and tangles I experience when wearing my hair loose. I would just be bunning wearing twist outs or braidouts anyway. I still hesitate because I do love my curls last time I straightened I had my mind made up until I washed and saw my curls again.

Boujoichic

Maybe you could try a semi-wash 'n go: Just braid or twist your hair all the way to the ends after detangling in the shower and then seal with a heavy oil when you get out. Leave it alone for 20 minutes or so before untwisting it so it can dry a little bit. Then, fluff and go!

It may be just enough "stretch" to allow you to wear it loose without all the tangles.

Boujoichic

Maybe you could try a semi-wash 'n go: Just braid or twist your hair all the way to the ends after detangling in the shower and then seal with a heavy oil when you get out. Leave it alone for 20 minutes or so before untwisting it so it can dry a little bit. Then, fluff and go!

It may be just enough "stretch" to allow you to wear it loose without all the tangles.

Ok I never thought of doing this I will try it :yep: I hope it works for me

I may be in the minority saying this, but their straight hair looks way better than the curly vid. The heat damage is very noticeable and looks bad to me!!

I mean do you...but their hair curly, well looks heat damaged to me, although it's a look I'd sported previously so I didn't mind.

Personally I think your hair is gorgeous as is ;)

I may be in the minority saying this, but their straight hair looks way better than the curly vid. The heat damage is very noticeable and looks bad to me!!

I mean do you...but their hair curly, well looks heat damaged to me, although it's a look I'd sported previously so I didn't mind.

Diva_Esq
empressri

ITA w/both of you about the damage, but we're looking at it through a "healthy hair" lens. IRL, most people wouldn't even notice the damage to their curls. Damage and all, their hair still looks better than 99% of the heads I see on the daily :yep:

I noticed the straight pieces too

Thanks so much for the compliment :blush::grin:

Agreed Diva_Esq I dont think they mind the damage because they wear their hair straight primarily.
sipp100 your right most people wouldnt identify it as damage that can be seen in the discussion going on in the comments on the curly hair vid there are some chicks going extra hard denying that the twins have any heat damage. The thing is they admit they have heat damage in several of their vids so I find the chicks going all out saying they dont funny.

Last edited:
Her hair is gorgeous :yep:

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't think heat damage is that serious as long as it doesn't mess up your main hair styles..otherwise.. If you're blessed with growing hair you'll eventually get some freshly grown stuff to play around with, all hair sheds eventually anyways.. *shrugs*

@Diva_Esq
@empressri

ITA w/both of you about the damage, but we're looking at it through a "healthy hair" lens. IRL, most people wouldn't even notice the damage to their curls. Damage and all, their hair still looks better than 99% of the heads I see on the daily :yep:

So true!! if you ave a few strands of "heat damage" no one IRL would notice.

I'm all for healthy hair, but everyone should just do them. Who has time to please random "online" strangers, about what a person do to their own hair? :ohwell:

Their hair is really pretty, but everyone's hair doesn't react to heat-training the same way. Some heat-trained hair has curly and bone straight bits jumbled all over the head. IME, a uniform curl pattern after heat-training is not the norm.

Not saying you shouldn't try it, just be aware that it may mean you could no longer wear wash 'n gos or other curly styles - especially with hair that is already a mix of textures (3c/4a)

:yep: This is my hair...heat damaged hair equals a head full of bone straight pieces. :nono:

Love their videos tho!

I'm seriously considering going natural because of my skin condition (Pemphigus) and other reasons. I may be in the minority here, but I have no real desire to wear my hair natural. So heat trained hair would prob be inevitable for me because I would prob wear it straight 99% of the time. But at the same time reaping the benefits of having chemical free hair.

Diva_Esq
empressri

Yeah I had a lady at my last job telling me not to cut my hair when I was griping about the straight ends. She said there was nothing wrong with my hair.

This was heat trained/damaged hair and while it looked healthy, the looser and tighter textures started annoying me. It was soo easy to flat iron my hair but if I wanted to wear it curly I had to go through hell and high water to style it to my liking.

Heat trained curls almost always looks like a bad texturizer to me. I've seen just a sprinkling of heads where it looked alright.

Attachments

• CIMG8015.jpg
    CIMG8015.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 319
I think even for heat training, flat ironing every week is too much. Abusing heat does not equal heat training IMO.

Op, if you did a monthly or even bi weekly straightening regimen (at a reasonable temp) I think your hair would turn out better than theirs.

I did sub BUT her last vid i did notice she has heat damage in the front of her hair so i am on the fence

I've lost about 4 inches this year due to SSKs and the midshaft splits that they cause (by catching on other hairs and ripping them). I'm giving up on wearing my hair curly, if my curls loosen as a result then so be it *ohwell*

I've lost about 4 inches this year due to SSKs and the midshaft splits that they cause (by catching on other hairs and ripping them). I'm giving up on wearing my hair curly, if my curls loosen as a result then so be it *ohwell*

I didn't lose as many inches as you, but I had similar experiences, when I wanted to wear my hair curly. I MUST either keep my hair in twists or blowdry/straightened to avoid SSKs.

I've been slowly heat training my hair; once or twice a month, I put my hair in curlformers, sit under the dryer and that's my straight hair for however long it lasts.

Boujoichic

stop wearing wash and goes....do braid/twist/flexirod/bantu knot sets. also moisturize & seal more. you can blow on cool or warm from time to time to get the hair to stretch more w/ these type of styles. most ppl i know don't wear wash and goes anymore than 3 days even if their hair texture is looser because they complain about the tangling/matting whick leads to the knots and less retention when your hair is longer.

They are soo cute lol.
I too go back and forth about just straightening more often but I do love my curls too much at the moment.

LunadeMiel I feel like the SSKs and crazy snarls are messing with my retention as well. Maybe I just had the wrong idea about having natural hair I thought I would be able to wear wash and go's without issue and be able to enjoy my curls. If I want maximum length retention less SSKs and knots Im going to have to keep my hair stretched. :ohwell:

Last edited:
empressri I watch your vids I remember when you had your heat damaged ends cut off. I admit your hair looks so much better now. Can I ask how often you straighten and what do you do to avoid heat damage?

Im also wondering if they still have some relaxed ends. Based on what they were saying their last relaxer as 2 years ago...and their hair is almost waist length :confused:

Back