Getting strange looks & resistance because I use "white products"

Do you use "white products" & are you met with doubt by others?

• Yes, some of my fave staples are "white products!"

Votes: 124 48.4%
  • No, I only use stuff "made for black people" or in the "black section."

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Yes, I use white products and people think it's weird.

Votes: 60 23.4%
  • Yes, I use white products but nobody second-guesses it.

Votes: 131 51.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i've always used a range of products && so does the people around me ... no strange looks...actually a good friend of mine was the one who recommended aussie moist

That's happen to me several times...I remember I went to walmart and to pick up some hair stuff and I wanted the big pump of aussie moist.. I was at the register but I turned around to get it (it doesn't help that i'm in the 'white' side of town in walmart) When I walked back to the aisle..this white girl was grilling me... cause I was pickin up different products and looking at ingredients. Anywho I picked up the big bottle of aussie and the chick kinda blew some air as to say "wth is that gonna do for her nappy head"... naturally I ignored it ..once I got to the register a black woman rung up everything but when she got to the aussie she turned her face up and looked at my natural hair..then kinda rolled her eyes and told me my total... smh... quite frankly Idont even really go in the "black" section anymore ..unless I really need something...I go str8 to the other aisle..

The food thing is another..lol..but I only get those looks among friends..
I get weird looks when I tell people I use regular Tea as a rinse....cooking oil as my hair oil.... mayo as a deep condish.. egg as a protein treatment... honey as part of my moisturizer ......wait..wth am i buying products for...:lachen:

Last edited:
Not from my family/friends but I notice this when I go to Walmart/JCP salon in my area there are more AA stylists there. I was purchasing Joico one day and the girl at the register frowned up and was like "you used this before?" I was like "yeah???" She was like "oh cause I just like Mizani and Keracare better for OUR hair" :lachen: At Trade Secret in my area mostly white people working there and some of them seem surprised when Im not looking for Mizani and Keracare. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Yep...When I fill my basket up with 10 bottles of V05 I get many strange looks. Also when I roam the aisles at Ulta picking up random stuff to try.

do you go to the ulta in the Gateway Overlook plaza near trader joes, best buy, costco etc..?

I am in TX and they are racist here too. ULTA is very racist. Tell me why when me and my sister left the store and they were taking pics of my car. Sent it to the police and had them show up at our house a week after our visit to question us. I will NEVER EVER give them my money again. And to think I actually bought sum eyeshadow from them. I will go directly through the vendor or won't get it. I am not intersted in makeup anymore anyways.

My thing is you use what you want on your hair and I will use what I want on my hair. You don't gotta like it but I really DGAF

While in Sally’s I told the sales girl I was looking for a conditioner and wanted to try something new.

Sales girl: Well there is Silk Elements

Me: :nono: :look:

Sales girl: (pointing to the back of the aisle) It’s an ethnic line

Me: I don’t like the Silk Elements line

Sales girl: *silent* :huh:

Me: (walking to GVP section) I want this (picked up GVP the detangler)

Sales girl: Oh...does your hair get notty?

Me: Nope....just wanted to try it.*insert eye roll here*

I am in TX and they are racist here too. ULTA is very racist. Tell me why when me and my sister left the store and they were taking pics of my car. Sent it to the police and had them show up at our house a week after our visit to question us. I will NEVER EVER give them my money again. And to think I actually bought sum eyeshadow from them. I will go directly through the vendor or won't get it. I am not intersted in makeup anymore anyways.

My thing is you use what you want on your hair and I will use what I want on my hair. You don't gotta like it but I really DGAF

WTH??? Questuion you about what?

Girl put it together. They made up some serious lies though that I am still dealing with now. But I don't wanna say too much cause the ish is still going on.

:wallbash::arguing::swearing::whip::darkcloud::brucelee::bat::badidea::catfight::hot::pyro: Yeah I would've been HOTTT!!!!!!

I am in TX and they are racist here too. ULTA is very racist. Tell me why when me and my sister left the store and they were taking pics of my car. Sent it to the police and had them show up at our house a week after our visit to question us. I will NEVER EVER give them my money again.

Wow. This is crazy!

The checkout girl at Sally's gave me a hard time for purchasing Miracle 7. She was like "Dis ain't for us"!! Whatever it works GREAT for me.

WHAT?!!!!!!1 :blush: Please tell me you sued them! What did the cops say to you?

I get followed at Sally's by my own peers. At ULTA I get followed too but I purposely go out of my way to ask 100 questions they can't answer until they get annoyed and go away. The Asian BSS... forget it, I don't even bother going in there. I'd rather go online and give my money to the AA owned businesses (Hairveda, Afroveda, etc) or to the Dominican BSS.

I don't use the "white term" I just have products that other black women probably would not use.....

1. Paul Mitchell
2. Garnier Fructis
3. Pantene Pro-v Nature Fusion
4. Bed Head TIGI
5. Redken

I want to try more....but money is tight....

None of those lines work on me either. When my hair was relaxed I loved Bed Head and now my hair laughs at me when I try to use these products.

Gemini Girl I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you are able to sue ULTA for defamation of character. Makes no sense at all to take pics and accuse people falsely because they came into your store.

I hate going to WalMart to buy NTM or Aussie Moist in bulk, and Caucasians look at me weirdly because I have my back to Dr. Miracles, Blue Magic, wave brushes, and Soft&Beautiful products :lachen:

I've been using Pantene Pro-V all my life. I refuse that "relaxed and natural" (IMO the Affirmative Action result of hair products) mess. The original works just fine, thank u! In my family, Pantene Pro-V is the Bill Clinton of products, given honorary Black status. Lol.

But everytime I tell someone I used coconut oil, or shea butter, or an avocado in my hair, they just about have a heart attack! And they never believe me when I say I put actual honey in my hair before...they assume I'm trying to murder my hair. :ohwell:

Edit*

After thinking about it, I would figure the opposite of what some people are posting would happen. I often have white girls in places like, Ulta, offer me "white products" first and before I found LHCF, if it wasn't Pantene, I would tell them "that won't work on my hair" and they'd be surprised. I guess it differs from place to place.

Last edited:
I've been using Pantene Pro-V all my life. I refuse that "relaxed and natural" (IMO the Affirmative Action result of hair products) mess. The original works just fine, thank u! In my family, Pantene Pro-V is the Bill Clinton of products, given honorary Black status. Lol.

But everytime I tell someone I used coconut oil, or shea butter, or an avocado in my hair, they just about have a heart attack! And they never believe me when I say I put actual honey in my hair before...they assume I'm trying to murder my hair. :ohwell:

Good point. I always thought they were just trying to get in on some of that multi-billion dollar black hair industry! :ohwell:

I've shopped at walmart and other stores. I also use to shop at trade secret and regis salon all the time and I've never had any whites or blacks staring at me.

I also think Ulta is a tad racist. I went to get my eyebrows done there and the lady doing it happened to be the first and only person in my life to ask if my hair was real as if in disbelief. :wallbash:

I dont talk about my regimen at all anymore unless someone asks and is really into hair.

The last time I had to tell what I had in my hair is when I found one of my colleague telling me ohhh I smell something familiar from home.. and I told her yes hun its amla and she was like I KNEW IT..lol shes indian and was like omg omg how do you know about that and asked if i knew vatika and I told her yes and the convo went on.

I've been getting this (at times) from mostly blacks for the past 20 years. Why ? 'cause it's been more than 20 years since I stopped "itching" my scalp to lossen the dandruffs & decided that using "grease" was not for me and started using creamy/conditioning related products.
OMG & LOL! is all I can say to their concern they expressed for the "health" of my hair and scalp.

Girl what ULTA where you at so I never go....

I've never experienced any weird looks. Most of the black bbs in my area carry tons of "white" brands like KMS, Joico, Paul Mitchell, Goldwell etc. along with upscale black brands like Kimble.

I actually have had some nice convos with the Hispanic lady who works in one of the largest bbs that caters to black folks. I was looking for a Rusk product, and we started talking about how the "mainstream" products are often better for our hair than the black products. She said she tries to steer customers away from the cheap grease-based products, but they usually just think she's trying to upsell when she suggests a non-black brand.

Good point. I always thought they were just trying to get in on some of that multi-billion dollar black hair industry! :ohwell:

Edit*

After thinking about it, I would figure the opposite of what some people are posting would happen. I often have white girls in places like, Ulta, offer me "white products" first and before I found LHCF, if it wasn't Pantene, I would tell them "that won't work on my hair" and they'd be surprised. I guess it differs from place to place.

Glad the original worked for someone b/c my hair hated it:nono:

my hair doesn't like "so called aa hair products" they are all made by the same people anyways, but it's just that for our hair products they put the worst ingredients, I have never used products for "us" because everytime I would try my hair would start falling out.

but i've never been looked at weird, but i'm sure some closed minded fools would think were crazy for using products that are supposedly for whites. the so called white products get the best ingredients vs ours that are mineral oiled down and other poor ingredients.

Never had a problem with it. We've used "white" products in our house as long as I remember. The only "black" product we used was Queen Helene cholesterol treatment. I've used White Rain, Sauve, Flex, Citre Shine. I tried to use "black" hair products and my hair hated it.

I was happy to know there was Sally's here in México, so I went there, the girl asked me what i was looking for, and i started to mention brands ans atuff i learn about here. Her face was like : What that hell is that? so, i don't find ethnic products here, i have to use the "white" products, so is normal, anubody look me strange or anything.
Good ole Mexico City. Lived there for 7 years and never found anything for black hair. Most black diplomats go stateside to get their hair done or cut their hair off. I am surprised that there is a Sally's there!

Back