Getting ready for the winter (hair care)

Lilmama1011

Well winter is approaching, I'm pretty sure everyone could tell, even in AZ it's getting a bit cooler and getting darker earlier as well.Time to step the moisture game up ladies and get heavier sealers. What do you have ready or plan to purchase for this winter?

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

i was washing with a moisturizing shampoo weekly and clarifying monthly but for the winter i will be using cleansing conditioners for three weeks (using the rest of the silk dreams and purchasing as i am coconut cowash) and clarifying with ors creamy aloe shampoo the fourth week and following up with v05 to soften it up a bit and deep conditioning after. currently trying to finish up creme of nature shampoo before winter starts. i have noticed my new growth does not like shampoo, it tangles and that's why it was so hard to separate hair while applying conditioner relaxer style will farther into my stretch.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Lilmama1011

I haven't looked into it officially.

but i had an army surplus beret that i used to wear that was 100% wool and lined with 100% silk and one with a peak that i got from h&m years ago with a satiny polyester inside.

hmmm i may have to look around on that front.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Just like last year:
I will be wearing a beanie with a satin cap underneath.
Heavy sealing with the LOC method with a ceramide oil, grease or butter on the ends every two-three days.
Keeping my protective styling up.
Keep moisturizing dcing weekly.

Lita

Heavy Deep Conditioning..
Moisture Poo's..
Cleansing Creams..
Natures Blessing Hair Dress..Sealant
Lace Naturals Apricot Pomade...Sealant
Dax ceramide pomade..Sealant
Scalp Balms..
Strong moisturizing creams..
Heat Protectents..
Heavy Butters...

*Lite blow-drys for twist/braid-out

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

Well winter is approaching, I'm pretty sure everyone could tell, even in AZ us getting a bit cooler and getting darker earlier as well.Time to step the moisture game up ladies and get heavier sealers. What do you have ready or plan to purchase for this winter?

I'll be incorporating oil rinsing and using oil in my hair more. It'll be my first go around seriously doing that so I hope it pays off.

Rozlewis

To prepare for the winter weather I am stocking up on heavy moisturizers and butters, bagging my ends and moisturizing from root to ends. In addition, I purchased some silk lined hats that I plan to use whenever I am out. I am interested in wigs and I have purchased a couple of RPG wigs but I am too nervous to wear them. More nervous that it will be obvious that I am wearing a wig or that it will come off. I need to overcome this fear.

Lilmama1011

To prepare for the winter weather I am stocking up on heavy moisturizers and butters, bagging my ends and moisturizing from root to ends. In addition, I purchased some silk lined hats that I plan to use whenever I am out. I am interested in wigs and I have purchased a couple of RPG wigs but I am too nervous to wear them. More nervous that it will be obvious that I am wearing a wig or that it will come off. I need to overcome this fear.

Where you get the hats? Rozlewis

Prudent1

Weekly DC (Joico, ORS, or Aussie)
bi-weekly CW
spritz hair daily with distilled H20
apply lv-in
sealing with JBCO
Use reconstructors every other week (Emergencee, Joico)
Clarify when needed (Nutrogena, ORS)
When I feel like it or when/ scalp feels dry-
Scalp massages with oil blends (hemp,grapeseed,& JBCO)
'Oil' scalp with coconut grease mixed with sulfur

I faithfully wear a scarf under whatever hat I have on anytime the temp is 40 degrees or lower or when/if my hair is damp/wet. I faithfully baby/ hide my ends and PS 98% of the time.

Rozlewis

Where you get the hats? Rozlewis

Lilmama1011, I purchased several hats from Hatsome and from Storenvy. the specific shop at Storenvy was YNVECouture. She sells very nice quality silk lined beanies. However, if you visit the shop now it will show everything out of stock because she is on maternity leave. I a not sure when she plans to return but you can also connect with her on Facebook. I believe her name on Facebook is Curls2Envy.

Below is a link to the shop.

http://www.ynvecouture.com/collections/126375-satin-lined-beanies

snoop

I did the shower cap thing last winter. Had extra caps in my coat pockets, in the car... I'm sure I looked strange putting it on before going out but my hair didn't suffer.

Lita

To add,taking Omega soft gels,it helps with moisture from the inside & other health related benifits...

Happy Hair Growing!

oneastrocurlie

I think I'm just going to alternate between pinned up twists with my own hair and marley twists until March.

Leave my hair be.

ckisland

My changes will be to DC weekly (vs. not at all) and wetting my hair more often. I usually can go 4-5 days before my hair gets dry, but the dang heat being on inside is drying my hair out so fast :nono:. I might have to wash every other day if it gets worse when it actually gets cold.

Lovestyr

I live in florida so its not quite cold yet. But when it does get cooler I plan on keeping my hair in a protective syle(buns).

Loc method as needed and pushing my wash days back to 1x a week.

Change my regimen to include more moisture products vs proteins. As long as I'm cautious I don't think I'll experience moisture overload.

ChocolatePie777

My hair loves winter....so I just keep it curly (with wash n gos) and keep it moving .......its summer that's a struggle for my hair

so1913

I'm not sure if I'll do anything different...at the most I may consider putting in mini twists at some point, last year I did that and was able to keep a set in for a month at a time...may be the way to go.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
is there a company that sale hats with silk or satin lining llan

Lilmama1011

I haven't looked into it officially.

but i had an army surplus beret that i used to wear that was 100% wool and lined with 100% silk and one with a peak that i got from h&m years ago with a satiny polyester inside.

hmmm i may have to look around on that front.

I don't have a link but Chidora Hats is another vendor. My hat is in the mail. Report back when I get it.

kupenda

Heavier sealing
Fewer washes (to decrease the amount of time it takes to replenish moisture)
Longer dc's