"Get your hands Outta Your Hair!" Challenge

Well ladies, my hair is up in braids right now and has been for about 2 weeks now. I will keep them in for another 5 or 6 weeks or so, remove, deep condition and protein treat for a week, then relax. I will continue on with keeping my hands out of my hair for a while afterwards as I am desperately trying to get to at least touching MBL but only to trim it back down to full BSL. I want to retain my length at full BSL only for a while and see how much I like that length. If I feel I can handle it longer after that, then I will attempt to grow it to MBL eventually. I'll see.

It's been fun ladies but I want to at least show my current progress here. The dates are already on the pics. I didn't take a start pic in September unfortunately but I did find one I took in October below:

I know I sound like a broken record, but I love love love your hair Aggie! I'm trying to get mine thick like yours.:drunk:

Aggie

I know I sound like a broken record, but I love love love your hair Aggie! I'm trying to get mine thick like yours.:drunk:

:kissing4:, thank you november, you are so sweet. Believe me, you will get your hair thicker. Don't watch it too much though as a watched pot never seem to boil. This is why protective styling like braids and wearing wigs works so well for me. When I watch my hair too much, it just never seem to get a move on, lol. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll have it in no time. Good luck honey.

:kissing4:, thank you november, you are so sweet. Believe me, you will get your hair thicker. Don't watch it too much though as a watched pot never seem to boil. This is why protective styling like braids and wearing wigs works so well for me. When I watch my hair too much, it just never seem to get a move on, lol. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll have it in no time. Good luck honey.

Thanks Aggie. I'm set to get a weave tomorrow to help me stretch a little bit longer. Between the MT/OCT and castor oil, I think the thickness is coming in, slowly but surely:drunk:

*Muffin*

Well ladies, my hair is up in braids right now and has been for about 2 weeks now. I will keep them in for another 5 or 6 weeks or so, remove, deep condition and protein treat for a week, then relax. I will continue on with keeping my hands out of my hair for a while afterwards as I am desperately trying to get to at least touching MBL but only to trim it back down to full BSL. I want to retain my length at full BSL only for a while and see how much I like that length. If I feel I can handle it longer after that, then I will attempt to grow it to MBL eventually. I'll see.

It's been fun ladies but I want to at least show my current progress here. The dates are already on the pics. I didn't take a start pic in September unfortunately but I did find one I took in October below:

Wow...Your hair has grow A LOT! Keep up the great work :yep:. Seeing results like this keeps me motivated :yep:.

*Muffin*

Hey ladies. I've been thinking. January 15th is, to me, a long time to wait. I would like to see some of your results as soon as possible :grin:. So I'm going to make the reveal dates from January 1st-January 15th. You can reveal your lengths at any time between those dates :yep:.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie. I'm set to get a weave tomorrow to help me stretch a little bit longer. Between the MT/OCT and castor oil, I think the thickness is coming in, slowly but surely:drunk:
You're welcomed honey and good luck with the weave and thickness of your hair.

*Muffin*

Hey girls! We're entering into the final stages of this challenge and I'm proud to say that I've been doing very well this week. I washed and DC'd my hair on Thursday (Christmas) and ever since then I've been wearing my hair in two low ponytail braids and have only touched my hair to moisturize it. I don't plan on doing anything more to it until this Thursday when I relax my hair. I'll probably reveal my length pics on the 1st or some time before the 15th, but the rest of you can feel free to wait until the 15th to reveal your length shots. There's a two week reveal period. And I believe I will continue applying the things that I've learned from this challenge in my everyday life. I realized three major things from this challenge:

1. My hair doesn't thrive on moisture alone. It needs occasional protein treatments to help it stay strong and retain length.

2. I don't need to constantly groom my hair. My hair actually behaves better when I pick a style and stick with it.

3. I don't "have" to touch my hair. I do have the power to control myself after all :yep:.

Anyway, hope the rest of you are doing great, and I cannot wait to see your results. See you in the new year :grin:.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
What I've learned:

1. Bunning 99.9% of the time really helps me to keep my hands out of my hair.
2. I really do prefer airdrying.
3. Less manipulation works for me bc I'm not that great at styling my hair anyway.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Here is my update. I'm mad about my ends but I'm not trimming until I reach my goal. Besides I will continue to bun.

Attachments

• 0901081126[1] (2).jpg
    0901081126[1] (2).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00162.jpg
    DSC00162.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2

*Muffin*

Here is my update. I'm mad about my ends but I'm not trimming until I reach my goal. Besides I will continue to bun.

Congratulations Shay! Your hair looks fuller and thicker than before, especially at your ends. I was just looking at your fotki starting pics and noticed the difference :yep:.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Thanks, Muffin. What's funny is I always thought I had thick hair. When I first started on LHCF I started looking at old pics. I realized my hair was really thin with no body or bounce.

*Muffin*

Here's my result pic :grin: I'm glad I made BSL, even if it's just barely. I credit the things I learned from this challenge :yep:.

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Muffin you can really tell the difference bw your Sept pic and today's. Beautiful hair. Congrats on BSL!!!

Hey ladies. I've been thinking. January 15th is, to me, a long time to wait. I would like to see some of your results as soon as possible :grin:. So I'm going to make the reveal dates from January 1st-January 15th. You can reveal your lengths at any time between those dates :yep:.

Shoot, I was trying not to fail another challenge result, but it looks like I'm gonna fail this one. I wasn't planning to take this weave out until the end of Jan. Please forgive me ladies:sad:

Your hair is looking really nice, Shay! Congrats:yep:

Here's my result pic :grin: I'm glad I made BSL, even if it's just barely. I credit the things I learned from this challenge :yep:.

There was no doubt that you would make BSL by Jan.:drunk:. Looking good, *Muffin*! Congrats to ya, baby girl!

Wishing everyone a great new year:grin:

*Muffin*

We'll make an exception for you, November Wind. You don't have to reveal your results until you take your weave out :yep:.

We'll make an exception for you, November Wind. You don't have to reveal your results until you take your weave out :yep:.

Why thank you, *Muffin*! You are very sweet indeed. I'm planning a takedown on the 20th which will make a month(I don't think I could take this stuff for longer than that LOL). This challenge has been good for me. I'm excited to see the progress when this weave comes down:lick:.

Aggie

Keeping my hands outta my hair helps me retain length better and that to me matters a lot. It's amazing how many people are getting amazing growth but are unable to hold on to that length:nono:. Retention is critical to my fine tresses. Thanks for starting this challenge Muffin.

*Muffin*

Even though I revealed my lengths ealier I'm still following through with the challenge, and will continue to do so for the most part because I've found that I've had good results with it. I've decided that on the days I work I will be wearing my hair in a set protective style and on the week-ends I'll wear my hair the way I want. This will help me retain lengths, I believe :yep:.

*Muffin*

Tomorrow is the reveal day! I haven't forgotten :grin: and I hope none of you ladies have because I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. And don't get down if you didn't reach all of your goals. Just celebrate all the ways your hair has improved :yep:. Regardless if you achieved all you wished to or not please share your progress so that we all can encourage and be encouraged :yep:

P.S. I haven't forgotten about you, November Wind. Your reveal is still on the 20th ;).

Aggie

My progress pic is already in my siggy everyone. I trust everyone have some great progress pics to show us.

I took my weave out today and got a silk press. The stylist got it super straight and it looks so thin:nono:. I'm not happy with my progress, but it is what it is. Here are the pics:

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0003.jpg

*Muffin*

I took my weave out today and got a silk press. The stylist got it super straight and it looks so thin:nono:. I'm not happy with my progress, but it is what it is. Here are the pics:

View attachment 25301View attachment 25303

It's okay november wind :bighug:. In all honesty, I wasn't ecstatic about my progress either. I made my goal of BSL, but just barely and only when my hair is wet or straightened. When my hair is airdried it doesn't reach BSL, and that disappointed me. I felt that my hair should have been solidly BSL or even slightly past. And my ends were looking a bit stringy :nono: I was in some challenges that included reaching MBL and WL by the end of 2009, but I dropped out of them. I decided that I can't force my hair to grow or meet goals in the time I think it should. It will reach them in their own time. So right now I just want to focus on taking good care of my hair and making sure my ends are in check. About a week and a half post relaxer I dusted my ends, and that greatly improved how they looked, so I decided that with every relaxer I'm going to trim a little off my ends to ensure that they are healthy and not splitting or thinning.

P.S. I think your hair is pretty :). I like the color and the way it's framing your face :yep:.

Aggie

It's okay november wind :bighug:. In all honesty, I wasn't ecstatic about my progress either. I made my goal of BSL, but just barely and only when my hair is wet or straightened. When my hair is airdried it doesn't reach BSL, and that disappointed me. I felt that my hair should have been solidly BSL or even slightly past. And my ends were looking a bit stringy :nono: I was in some challenges that included reaching MBL and WL by the end of 2009, but I dropped out of them. I decided that I can't force my hair to grow or meet goals in the time I think it should. It will reach them in their own time. So right now I just want to focus on taking good care of my hair and making sure my ends are in check. About a week and a half post relaxer I dusted my ends, and that greatly improved how they looked, so I decided that with every relaxer I'm going to trim a little off my ends to ensure that they are healthy and not splitting or thinning.

P.S. I think your hair is pretty :). I like the color and the way it's framing your face :yep:.

Hi Muffin, I think I will drop out of the MBL challenge for this year myself. I am concentrating on getting thicker hair at BSL and if I get to MBL next year then fine, but I am no longer going to force it.

Don't worry November Wind, concentrate mostly on thickness for now - that's what I will be doing for 2009. I need a trim badly and I think I'll get one done in about 2 or 3 weeks:yep:. I believe that trimming it will help me get my thickness back on the ends for sure.

*Muffin*

Hi Muffin, I think I will drop out of the MBL challenge for this year myself. I am concentrating on getting thicker hair at BSL and if I get to MBL next year then fine, but I am no longer going to force it.

Don't worry November Wind, concentrate mostly on thickness for now - that's what I will be doing for 2009. I need a trim badly and I think I'll get one done in about 2 or 3 weeks:yep:. I believe that trimming it will help me get my thickness back on the ends for sure.

You took the words right out of my mouth :grin:. I don't just want long hair, I want pretty hair with relatively even thickness. I will work on it gradually for 09', trimming a little bit at a time until my ends are healthy :yep:.

:hug2: Thanks, *Muffin* for the encouragement. The reason I don't wear my hair straight that often is because I hate the thin ends. At least I know that if I transition, the stylist is in full support of that. I'm almost 4 months post and I'm still on the fence about the transition.

Like you, I'm focusing on the health of my hair (at least I'm trying to LOL). I think I will follow your lead and snip the ends little by little to get rid of the thin ends. The stylist suggested doing that, but I've been scissor shy for some reason:ohwell:. I started back co-washing my hair more often, because I've been working out and I hate the feeling of the sweat in my scalp. I still thank you for this challenge, because I think my hair would have been worse off without it.

Thanks, Aggie :hug2:. I'll try to overcome my scissor-phobia and start inching my way towards healthier ends too.

*Muffin*

:hug2: Thanks, *Muffin* for the encouragement. The reason I don't wear my hair straight that often is because I hate the thin ends. At least I know that if I transition, the stylist is in full support of that. I'm almost 4 months post and I'm still on the fence about the transition.

Like you, I'm focusing on the health of my hair (at least I'm trying to LOL). I think I will follow your lead and snip the ends little by little to get rid of the thin ends. The stylist suggested doing that, but I've been scissor shy for some reason:ohwell:. I started back co-washing my hair more often, because I've been working out and I hate the feeling of the sweat in my scalp. I still thank you for this challenge, because I think my hair would have been worse off without it.

Thanks, Aggie :hug2:. I'll try to overcome my scissor-phobia and start inching my way towards healthier ends too.

That's the spirit :). We did take something positive from this challenge. I guess growing hair isn't just about length. A lot of times I'm so focused on just growing my hair long I fail to pay attention to the way it looks, and when I finally did look I wasn't too happy with what I saw :sad:. What good is having long hair if it doesn't look the way you want it to? And if you feel that going natural is best for you, by all means do it. I have a friend that's on this hair growing journey with me and she was making beautiful progress as a relaxed head, rapidly approaching APL and had very healthy hair. But she didn't want to continue on with relaxed hair anymore. She felt she wanted to go natural so she waited a couple of months and just cut it off. I'm not saying to just BC right away, but I just thought that was brave of her. Now she's much happier and is continuing on with her hair growth journey as a natural. So in other word, just do what you feel is best for your hair and what will make you happiest. As long as we take good care of our hair length will come in due time :yep:.

Aggie

You're welcomed november wind.

That's the spirit :). We did take something positive from this challenge. I guess growing hair isn't just about length. A lot of times I'm so focused on just growing my hair long I fail to pay attention to the way it looks, and when I finally did look I wasn't too happy with what I saw :sad:. What good is having long hair if it doesn't look the way you want it to? And if you feel that going natural is best for you, by all means do it. I have a friend that's on this hair growing journey with me and she was making beautiful progress as a relaxed head, rapidly approaching APL and had very healthy hair. But she didn't want to continue on with relaxed hair anymore. She felt she wanted to go natural so she waited a couple of months and just cut it off. I'm not saying to just BC right away, but I just thought that was brave of her. Now she's much happier and is continuing on with her hair growth journey as a natural. So in other word, just do what you feel is best for your hair and what will make you happiest. As long as we take good care of our hair length will come in due time :yep:.

Muffin, I already bowed out of the MBL challenge and I fell wayyyy less pressure since I did:yep:. ~Sighs with a breath of relief~

You're so right! My mom BC'd about 2 years ago, and she loves being natural. I look at her and my grandma's hair and they are so beautiful! Maybe I'll trim a little bit at a time while I make up my mind. My stylist is fully natural and she has BSL hair. It's so thick and beautiful:lick:. I'm so lucky I have the full support of everyone here at LHCF and in my life.:yep: