Garlic is the TRUTH!

I am going to get some garlic supplements today! I just ordered megatek last night so since I know about the shedding, I will try to keep that from happening. I love garlic anyway and put it in everything when I cook, but this will give me an extra boost. Thanks ladies! :grin:

I bought some garlic pills yesterday after work and did a deep conditioner before washing my hair with the homemade garlic oil and Alter Ego garlic conditioner. Then I did a co wash and let me hair air dry. I'm going to be sporting a bun until this shedding stops. This thread had been very helpful!!!

you know what...

this is gonna sound crazy but after i cleaned up after that kitten last night i got frustrated so i went to wal-mart and got the twin pack of garlic caplets. they are 1000mg each so i took two as soon as i got home, then cowashed again this morning...

the kitten left a hairball BUT THATS IT. i mean, before last night i couldnt even run my hands across the TOP of my hair without pulling back about 5 strands. detangling was a joke, even with my shower comb...but i fingercombed and then detangled this morning and my shedding was down to about 1/4 of what it has been. idk whether this is a coincidence or what, but...i'm not complaining!!! maybe in a few days it will be gone altogether!

I bought some garlic pills yesterday after work and did a deep conditioner before washing my hair with the homemade garlic oil and Alter Ego garlic conditioner. Then I did a co wash and let me hair air dry. I'm going to be sporting a bun until this shedding stops. This thread had been very helpful!!!

I'm so glad this thread was helpful to you Swgirl. That makes me happy :drunk:

you know what...

this is gonna sound crazy but after i cleaned up after that kitten last night i got frustrated so i went to wal-mart and got the twin pack of garlic caplets. they are 1000mg each so i took two as soon as i got home, then cowashed again this morning...

the kitten left a hairball BUT THATS IT. i mean, before last night i couldnt even run my hands across the TOP of my hair without pulling back about 5 strands. detangling was a joke, even with my shower comb...but i fingercombed and then detangled this morning and my shedding was down to about 1/4 of what it has been. idk whether this is a coincidence or what, but...i'm not complaining!!! maybe in a few days it will be gone altogether!

I'm telling you, that's the same experience I had. I couldn't believe how fast the supplement began working. Thank God, because I didn't have another week to spare LOL

I had read about garlic counteracting the shedding from MT, so I started taking the capsules a couple of days before my MT arrived and I had NO shedding at all. Last week I forgot them for 3 days (DH had rearranged my stuff and hid them), and my hair started shedding within 2 days. As soon as I started taking them again - shedding gone! There is POWER in garlic!

:bump:

Which garlic supplements are you guys taking?

I'm taking Solgar gel tabs, which I love because they are so small and go down nicely. I like Solgar brands and I take biotin from this company as well.

I personally like Puritan's Pride odorless garlic 1,000 mgs. That's what I always buy. They now have their 3 for 1 sell and if you check you can get no to VERY low shipping. I'd look over there and see since they always throw in deals on shipping too. www.puritans.com

I am definitely another heavy shedder and I can't stand it! I keep the small dirt devil vacuum close by to constantly vacuum up hair off the bathroom floor. It drives me nuts. I have read other posts about garlic shampoo and am definitely going to give it a try next time I go to the BSS. Good to know about the garlic pills as well! Thx for the tip!

Lately my hair has been shedding at a rate that was alarming me. I felt like there was a small cat in the shower with me every time I co-washed (which is everyday) :sad:. I had to do something, so I got some garlic pills, and after only 3 days of taking them I can see a HUGE difference! I'm so excited because I'll be able to retain the beautiful hair that LHCF helps me grow :drunk:

I know lots of you ladies are already up on garlic, but I just had to share my excitement. This is definitely one of my staples now. Has anyone else had results good or bad with garlic?

That is funny as heck to me for some reason.
In the winter I usaully shed like a Himalyan Persian on a black microfiber sofa...but I suffer through it.

I may try the garlic pills.

Garlic really IS the truth!! I started the garlic supplements Monday afternoon as I posted earlier and this morning I may have had a few strings of hair shed as opposed to the clumps I was having before!!! I am feeling much better. I'm off to find that Nutreine Garlic Shampoo and conditioner now.....

Hi,
I'm a newbie and I was wondering where can I find the garlic pills and which brand is the best to ingest.

Hi,
I'm a newbie and I was wondering where can I find the garlic pills and which brand is the best to ingest.

The good thing about these garlic supplements is that ladies have had success with multiple brands. I'm currently taking some by Organics (only becuase I found them at my local supermarket and they were BOGO). Someone else mentioned Puritan's Pride I think. I really believe that there are many good brands. It mostly depends on how many mcg you want to take per day.

Has anyone tried Garlicque? I just picked some up. It says it has about 5000 mcg of garlic bulb. Do you think thats enough to stop shedding?

Has anyone tried Garlicque? I just picked some up. It says it has about 5000 mcg of garlic bulb. Do you think thats enough to stop shedding?

I saw that and wanted to try it. I think 5000mcg is definitely enough. Let us know how it works.

After taking just two per day this week, I took my braids down and I have a LOT less shed hairs!! I haven't shampooed yet, but I was impressed with the small amount that I shed...I even burshed with my new Goody Jojoba brush and very little sheding.

Garlic is a keeper!!!

Last edited:
I'm so happy to have found this thread. I have been having shedding issues for the past few weeks, probably due to stress. At first I thought it was breakage, so I upped my protein but upon closer inspection of the hairs they are long strands with the whites bulbs.

I'm getting some of this today!

My shedding has increased ALOT. It is almost scaring me a little. We've got some garlic in the fridge that I might simmer into an oil for a prepoo...

I personally like Puritan's Pride odorless garlic 1,000 mgs. That's what I always buy. They now have their 3 for 1 sell and if you check you can get no to VERY low shipping. I'd look over there and see since they always throw in deals on shipping too. www.puritans.com

I just ordered these myself, I love their sales. I also got rosemary oil and emu oil for VERY cheap ladies.

Lately my hair has been shedding at a rate that was alarming me. I felt like there was a small cat in the shower with me every time I co-washed (which is everyday) :sad:. I had to do something, so I got some garlic pills, and after only 3 days of taking them I can see a HUGE difference! I'm so excited because I'll be able to retain the beautiful hair that LHCF helps me grow :drunk:

I know lots of you ladies are already up on garlic, but I just had to share my excitement. This is definitely one of my staples now. Has anyone else had results good or bad with garlic?

So true joyandfaith, I have been taking garlic supplements for a few years now off and on. I am taking it a lot more consistently now than before. It really does work:yep:.

I wonder what is in the garlic that makes it work? I am so excited by this prospect. My shedding has been cut by more than 1/2 since I started and I know that over time that is just going to lead to thicker hair. My son told me I had a "disco afro" I took my braids down...he's right I went from 1/2 inch of hair in December to a nice sho nuff afro today!! It will be an even thicker 'fro' with the regular use of garlic.

Thanks OP and Aggie (I'm still doing my MT as well)

i just take garlic cloves whole. to take the smell out. i take the glove right before i eat my fiber one cereal. the milk suppresses the odor but still leaves all the medicinal benefits. from what i have been reading its cheaper to eat the garlic whole then buy the pills.

I recently (as in two days ago) purchased 1000mg garlic oil and 1000mg parsley oil combined. The parsley is supposed to help with the smell. I havent smelled garlic in my skin yet but I can taste it in my mouth after I take it. That's cool, I keep thinking I just ate so I can't be hungry yet. Silly, huh.

Do you think the garlic will keep my alopecia from coming back?

Anyway, I typically get a whole garlic and cut the top off, wrap it in foil, drizzle olive oil over the top, close and cook in the oven on 250 for several hours. The oil sofents the garlic and it can be squeezed out directly onto bread as a great spread, or into foods. I wonder if it would work in a mix for hair-since it is cooked it may not, it sure tastes good though.

Thanks for this info.

My hair has been shedding alot and I have just been accepting this as natural shedding.

But when you have fine and thin hair you want to keep as much on your head as you can.

Can't wait to try garlic especially if you noticed a difference after a few days.

Back