Flat ironing hair in the summer?

Hi, I'm in a bit of style trouble right now after removing my individual braids the other day, as my transitioning hair is now so shrunken that it's hard to get it into a decent ponytail or bun now :(. I would wear my half wig, but it's way too hot to be having that extra hair on me, so no can do :nono:. I was thinking of flat ironing my hair to help stretch it out and make it smoother and long enough to be able to put it into a good protective style. I am just worried about the heat making me sweat it out and revert (it's about 25ºC /77ºF right now where I am), not to mention the humidity as well :ohwell:.

I just want to ask, do you think I would be OK flat ironing in the summer? Or would it simply a waste of time and energy? Bearing in mind that I only want to flat iron to tie it back into ponytails and buns, not wear it down, so if it doesn't at least revert completely, should I be OK with the styles I'm choosing? And if anyone has done it, what are your experiences of it? Thanks in advance :)

Neith

I think that even if it gets a little puffy, you could do a nice protective style. It wouldn't matter to me if I wasn't wearing my hair down.

Unless you think that your hair would revert too much. I've never had that happen to me personally unless I basically dunked my head in water.

LaFemmeNaturelle

My natural hair has never had a chance in the summer because I sweat like crazy in my scalp. Are you one of those people who can workout without their hair reverting? If so, you should be fine!

GeauXavi

OP...Just wanted to say that i'm jealous of that 77 degree weather that you're experiencing...it's 99 plus humidity out here in Houston.

I think if you blow your hair out with a round brush...it should be ok. the tension from the pony should keep your edges from reverting too bad...i think... lol

edited to add: you can also wear cute headbands or scarves, and slick the edges down with a scarf before bedtime...

Beverly Ann Properties

If you are transitioning to natural hair, I would after wash/cowash and deep conditioning, moisturize, apply some gel and then you should be able to get your hair into a bun. This is what I am doing for the summer and it works just fine. I am 100% natural with sl hair stretched, nl unstreched.