Flaky Scalp Question?

NekaB

I bet there is a thread on here already about this, but I looked as far back as early January and gave up:( ! My 11 year old daughter has an extremely flaky scalp and I wanted some suggestions on how to help her with this. Even after it's washed, there are still flakes. It doesn't itch, there are just flakes when I grease her scalp. Other than that, her hair is in very good condition. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Perfect Results has a really nice conditioner for about $7.49 it's called Medicated Scalp Treatment. You leave it on for 5 minutes and it is really very minty and tingles. It takes away the flakes. I just make sure and comb my scalp up very gently before washing, then apply the conditioner and let it sit, after rinsing make sure and use a moisturizing conditioner on her hair.

Also if you can avoid using grease or oil on her scalp that may help. Those things generally cause build up. If her scalp dries out quickly try washing it a little more often. I know I need to wash at least once or week or else!

lana said:
Perfect Results has a really nice conditioner for about $7.49 it's called Medicated Scalp Treatment. You leave it on for 5 minutes and it is really very minty and tingles. It takes away the flakes. I just make sure and comb my scalp up very gently before washing, then apply the conditioner and let it sit, after rinsing make sure and use a moisturizing conditioner on her hair.

Also if you can avoid using grease or oil on her scalp that may help. Those things generally cause build up. If her scalp dries out quickly try washing it a little more often. I know I need to wash at least once or week or else!

Thanks! I try and wash hers every week and a half because she has so much hair!Is this a common product in most beauty supply stores or do I need to order it online?

Stop greasing her scalp. Trust me, my mom greased my scalp when I was little and I would get flakes too, no matter what kind she tried. When I started doing my hair myself (washing and daily styling), I NEVER greased my scalp and my scalp hasn't seen a flake since.

The fact that it isn't itching means it's not dandruff caused by fungus or allergies or anything. That's exactly the way mine was. When you first stop greasing she may experience dryness for a bit because her scalp has sort of become dependent on the grease. I personally stopped cold turkey and didn't have any problems, but depending on how things go for her, use a light oil like jojoba or something to help "transition" away from the grease.

lana said:

Also if you can avoid using grease or oil on her scalp that may help. Those things generally cause build up. If her scalp dries out quickly try washing it a little more often. I know I need to wash at least once or week or else![/quote]

in agreement with the bold part!!.. I actually wash my scalp 2x a week. Nizoral shampoo worked for me. I'd say anything medicated(shampoo) should help the dandruff cease.

Please don't oil her scalp. She may have a condition called Psoriasis or Seborrheic Dermatitis. You can use a shampoo that can help with the flakes one is called Nizoral there are others. It would be a good idea to visit your dermatologist if you are not able to get her any relief from the flakes.

Thanks everyone for the great advise! I'll try to use nothing on her scalp and if that doesn't help, I'll take her to the doctor. A friend of mine suggested KeraCare's glossifier for itchy and dry scalp? Has anyone tried that before? Does that contain anything that may aggravate her scalp any?

Back