First Relaxer: DIY or a Stylist?

Sunshine0801

I have decided to relax my hair after five years of being chemical-free.

If you were in my position, would you apply your first relaxer yourself or go to a stylist?

Unfortunately, I haven't found a stylist that I completely trust. I understand how important the first relaxer is, and am nervous about going to someone who doesn't completely know what they're doing. However, I am also afraid to do it myself. I have never applied a relaxer, even when I was relaxed, and I think that, at least to some degree, all the researching in the world isn't a substitute for real experience, which I don't have.

What would you do?

MAMATO

Take your time to find a stylist you really trust, meanwhile you can press or flatiron your hair.

LushLox

If you are worried I think it would be best to go to a reputable salon. Have you reviewed the vendor section for recommended salons in your area?

Sunshine0801

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I have been hunting for a reputable salon for years and haven't had much luck yet.

So it sounds like it would be a bad idea to try to do it myself...that's what I figured...

BrittanyH26

I would say go to a salon. I went back to relaxing after a few years, and trusted a stylist with my virgin hair. However, I am going to do my touch ups myself. Maybe you can try that route?

Take your time in finding a stylist though. I researched my entire fall semester to make sure I was going to someone I trusted.

LaidBak

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I have been hunting for a reputable salon for years and haven't had much luck yet.

So it sounds like it would be a bad idea to try to do it myself...that's what I figured...

For years Sunshine? Where do you live? It can't be that hard. Give us your city and state and let your Cousins give you some recommendations. You really should let a stylist do it.