Fed up with my Inconsistent Hair Regimen! What Should I Do with My Hair?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
One reason why I cannot stay consistent with any routine is because after I wash my hair, it feels different, it looks different, and acts different. Another reason is because I use different products all the time. Should I be sticking with the same products?

This morning, I wanted to cut all my hair off. I tried to do a flat twist out and my hair was a crazy uneven mess! Just today, I've been thinking about locing my hair after I saw these beautiful pics of some long haired loced ladies in a couple of albums.
Check them out: http://public.fotki.com/fwilso01/hair & http://public.fotki.com/SidneysGirl/berylocks (pw: naps )

But I still wanna be able to wear my hair out/loose sometimes.

For right now, I just wanna leave my hair alone. I'm going to try to keep my hair in two strand twists and see how that goes.

What's the best way to care for super tight kinky coily fine stranded hair like mine??? Locs? Braids? Twists? Keepin it short? Wearing it out? It doesn't like frequent washing/cowashing/rinsing...something that's always suggested for natural hair.

Anyone else have a problem with being inconsistent???

Last edited:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Pooh don't cut off all that beautiful hair!! :shocked:

I feel you on the regimen. I just wash my hair with African Black soap and WGO for a moisturizer. Yes, I do believe that sticking to one line only makes a huge difference. For example, I paired Creme of Nature Shampoo and followed with Paul Mitchell's "The Rinse," my hair came out dry. :ohwell: So I gave PM the Boot. :lol: But I decided to give it another go. So I washed my hair with PM "The Shampoo" followed by PM "The Rinse" and the results were :love::love::love::love:

You would look great in locks. :) Like you I was also thinking of doing locks. Check out her album/pics. She is a great inspiration. :yep:

http://public.fotki.com/HunnyChild/my_loc_inspirations/fauryn.html

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Bumping. My hair likes the frequent washing, maybe for you twists/box braids would be most helpful for now (and in general) while you consider locs, but I don't think locs are necessary for growth. Whatever you do make sure you keep your hair moist! I've heard good things about Heavy Cream (I think that a Qhemets product, but not sure) and of course butters like shea, mango, shealoe. When I get back in the country I'm buying some butters for my hair. HTH.

Any other opinions?

Syrah

You grow your hair out to be healthy and in the process it manages to find a mind of it's own. Of course I relate.

Stop switching products. The first time your hair uses a new product is NOT a good indication of the reaction it's had. I mean - yea, if you use a conditioner and your hair comes out rough and stiff - toss it. But because your hair doens't feel glorious the first time you use something does not mean it's for the birds. Your hair has to adjust (just like your wallet does - or at least mine HAHA).

Keep it simple!! I've tried so many different regimens cuz I've read them on the boards - tried them half-assed at least. When I stopped all the complications with oils and pre-poos and conditioner washes and heat towels and baggy methods AT ONCE (in other words - find what works for you and stick with it), my hair thanked me (and grew and maintained the length).

Me?! I wash my hair once a week. Regardless of what else is going on. If I decide to wear my hair out and I need to detangle - I hop in the shower and coat my head in conditioner before detangling. What's worked wonders for my ends? Every night before I got to bed I apply a DAB of either Abba's Nourishing Leave-In or Keracare's LITE oil moisturizer, tie my hair in a bun, secured with a scrunchy and go to bed.

I wake up, my ends feel good. I go to work, and at noon my ends feel good. My hair loves being tied up with the overnight moisture. YUMMY! :)

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Here's the thing, you have to slow your roll and just try a set regimen for at least a week or two before adding and subtracting new products.

You also have to document (or at least remember) how your hair reacts to products alone and in different combinations. That's not going to happen if you keep switching what you use every day. Your other products aren't going to run away, they will be sitting there waiting on you when you're ready to use them.

I think the best way to get started is to pick out what you consider to be your favorite items and only use those from now until August. Then start to tweak the regimen.

Truthfully, folks are free to do what they need to do, but I cringe just a little when people look to locs as an alternative to dealing with loose natural hair.

Poohbear said:
One reason why I cannot stay consistent with any routine is because after I wash my hair, it feels different, it looks different, and acts different. Another reason is because I use different products all the time. Should I be sticking with the same products?

This morning, I wanted to cut all my hair off. I tried to do a flat twist out and my hair was a crazy uneven mess! Just today, I've been thinking about locing my hair after I saw these beautiful pics of some long haired loced ladies in a couple of albums.
Check them out: http://public.fotki.com/fwilso01/hair & http://public.fotki.com/SidneysGirl/berylocks (pw: naps )

But I still wanna be able to wear my hair out/loose sometimes.

For right now, I just wanna leave my hair alone. I'm going to try to keep my hair in two strand twists and see how that goes.

What's the best way to care for super tight kinky coily fine stranded hair like mine??? Locs? Braids? Twists? Keepin it short? Wearing it out? It doesn't like frequent washing/cowashing/rinsing...something that's always suggested for natural hair.

Anyone else have a problem with being inconsistent???

I COMPLETELY understand. Sometimes I wanna rock a curly washngo and I can't because its fro-ed up..lol And sometimes I want to sleek it back into a pony but it won't cooperate! I also wanted to loc, but I realized that I would like to at least have the option of rocking straight hair at times. Frequent CWashing isn't great for my hair too- I got too much buildup now. My advice is for you to braid it up in individuals until you decide that you wanna do.

so1913

JCoily said:
Here's the thing, you have to slow your roll and just try a set regimen for at least a week or two before adding and subtracting new products.

You also have to document (or at least remember) how your hair reacts to products alone and in different combinations. That's not going to happen if you keep switching what you use every day. Your other products aren't going to run away, they will be sitting there waiting on you when you're ready to use them.

I think the best way to get started is to pick out what you consider to be your favorite items and only use those from now until August. Then start to tweak the regimen.

Great advice right here. Jumping around doesn't allow you to see what works for your hair, that's a good lesson that I learned. Since I tossed everything and stuck to some basics, things have been going well :)

Cichelle

Sorry, I don't have any advice because I don't do anything with my own hair but cowash and throw it in a bun or ponytail. But I just wanted to say, you better not cut that hair, girl!

Poohbear

@ sugaplum, thanks for your advice! I will try to see if I can find a product line to stick to. The only shampoo and conditioner that I have alike are J/A/S/O/N Naturals Biotin... they're kinda drying. :ohwell: And I have like 4 of those conditioners that I switched with for co-washing. I'm just gonna return them back to WalMart, I haven't used much out the the bottles.

@ nubianqt, MsNadi, and JCoily... the ONLY reason I was considering locs was because I saw those beautiful pictures of locs. I know they aren't the only way to manage or deal with natural hair. Don't cringe. ;)

I will also stop switching products and trying new ones. I need to figure out with ones I need to stick with.

I think I will stick with doing two-strand twists, wash once every 1-2 weeks, and moisturize/oil my hair as needed.

@ carribean dream, thanks for understanding! I finally came to the realization that frequent co-washing isn't for me.

Thanks ladies for listening to my frustrations and for your support and advice! :kiss: I truly appreciate it! Sometimes I feel like I'm out here all by myself looking for the best thing for my hair and it can get overwhelming... especially when I see new pics of different styles. I need to stay focused. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. :)

Poohbear

@ so1913, You're right, I need to stop jumping around... I'm gonna get all my products together and start tossing away the ones that I won't be using. All I really need is a shampoo, conditioner, oil, and a moisturizer.

@ Cichelle, I won't cut my hair off! :)

Last edited:

carameldiva

SugaPlum- i got some African black soap from a seller on ebay and it is really soft and mushy instead of hard- can i use it this way or is there a way to harden it up? TIA

sugaplum said:
Pooh don't cut off all that beautiful hair!! :shocked:

I feel you on the regimen. I just wash my hair with African Black soap and WGO for a moisturizer. Yes, I do believe that sticking to one line only makes a huge difference. For example, I paired Creme of Nature Shampoo and followed with Paul Mitchell's "The Rinse," my hair came out dry. :ohwell: So I gave PM the Boot. :lol: But I decided to give it another go. So I washed my hair with PM "The Shampoo" followed by PM "The Rinse" and the results were :love::love::love::love:

You would look great in locks. :) Like you I was also thinking of doing locks. Check out her album/pics. She is a great inspiration. :yep:

http://public.fotki.com/HunnyChild/my_loc_inspirations/fauryn.html

natstar

Poohbear- My hair is like yours and I agree with the rest of the ladies. Keep a mental note of which products work (after giving them time) and which don't. Then stick with the ones that u know work. This means ignoring what might be common for some naturals i.e. co-washing. This takes time but it pays off. Also, when I get frustrated with my hair at times I usually wash, condition then braid it up (twists). I would recommend that u braid or twist ur hair for a while until u have a plan of action. & Pooh your hair is looking great even with all of the inconsistencies.