Extending relaxers=Uneven touch-up?

MizAvalon

I got my hair touched-up a few days ago after extending for 16 weeks. It was rough, but I made it! Now all through the extending period, you wouldn't believe how many busybodys told me that my hair would break off, fall out, etc. Anyhoo, it turned out fine, just as I knew it would. But while getting it done my stylist told me not to wait as long between touch-ups because it might result in uneven perming. That thought never even occured to me. The only thing I was worried about was breakage, and even that I wasn't too worried about because I was taking excellent care of my hair. So, my question is, has anyone else heard of this or experienced this? I mean I know that uneven touch-ups are possible, but can extending relaxers actually contribute to that?
ohwell.gif

Yes, I think the longer you extend the touch-up, the bigger chance there is for underprocessed hair.

The hairdresser has to rush the perm through your hair in the time alotted, and the more newgrowth there is, the bigger the chance that all the hair won't process evenly. God forbids if she saves the thickest part of your hair for last.
ohwell.gif

Thanks, Karonica. I never even knew that was possible. I may not wait quite as long as 16 weeks next time, because it was like a jungle up there, but I will still extend for 12 weeks minimum. I'll just play it by ear after that. There's just something about waiting and getting that nice little treat of seeing how much growth I've gotten!
smile.gif

I hear you.
smile.gif

When I was relaxing every 6 weeks, I noticed my hair would get straighter and straighter with virtually no curl left. This wasn't too cool after a while, since I like to wet-n-go. But if you want to maintain some of your natural curl, I suggest spacing out your relaxers like 3 or more months apart.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jla said:
DSD, do you relax your own hair, or does someone do it for you, in sections?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do my own relaxers. I relax the front section first. I cover the first inch of the back section with vaseline to protect and cover with a plastic cap and sometimes a scarf.

are you saying DSD, that you perm on different days, or u perm one section wash out let dry, do another section

MizAvalon, the only way I can see that this would be a problem is if your hairdresser applies the relaxer slowly, then rinses and neutralizes all of your hair all at once. Maybe you can instruct her to rinse out the relaxer and apply the neutralizing shampoo to your hair according to the order in which she applied the relaxer. She should start with the thickest/curliest part of your hair first. For me, that is the back part, but I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone.

That is what I do when I apply my relaxer and it works well. If she objects, you should be able to find a hairdresser who was taught, or instinctively knows, that this is the right thing to do.
smile.gif

I do the same thing as DSD, I perm the front, wash it out then perm the back, thus both get equal straightening times and there are no underprocessed sections.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
To combat this problem, I relax my hair in sections. Works like a charm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking too that relaxing the hair in sections would be a good idea. That is what I plan on doing when I self-relax in August/September.

I once stretched my relaxer for 10 months and the stylist knew well enough to relax my hair in two sections (without my saying anything to her) but I don't think that most stylists are too keen on this
ohwell.gif
unfortunately.

Chichi
bdance.gif

But if you do the front first, then the back, won't the unrelaxed section become wet. I thought that hair had to be totally dry prior to relaxing. Gimme some light here. Whenever I wait more than 4 months to relax I do get parts of unprocessed hair in the middle if the strands. I have no clue what I'm going to do with it. For now I'll just leave it alone.

Wildflower, I was wondering the same thing about wet hair. Also, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! Underprocessed hair in the middle section of some of the strands...I thought I was the only person who this would happen to! Its straight at the roots...then goes puffy/frizzy for a few inches, then straight at the ends!

Im the same way, dont know what to do but considering a corrective relaxer. Underprocessed hair just doesnt work in FL(soooooo humid!)

[ QUOTE ]
Wildflower said:
But if you do the front first, then the back, won't the unrelaxed section become wet. I thought that hair had to be totally dry prior to relaxing. Gimme some light here. Whenever I wait more than 4 months to relax I do get parts of unprocessed hair in the middle if the strands. I have no clue what I'm going to do with it. For now I'll just leave it alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought.

I believe that when rinsing, they apply a plastic cap to keep the unrelaxed section dry and being careful not to get it wet.

I may try that on my next touchup.I get kind of nervous cuz I'm a clutz and I'll have to be ultra cautious not to get everything wet.

[ QUOTE ]
renee_n_3000 said:
MizAvalon, the only way I can see that this would be a problem is if your hairdresser applies the relaxer slowly, then rinses and neutralizes all of your hair all at once. Maybe you can instruct her to rinse out the relaxer and apply the neutralizing shampoo to your hair according to the order in which she applied the relaxer. She should start with the thickest/curliest part of your hair first. For me, that is the back part, but I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone.

That is what I do when I apply my relaxer and it works well. If she objects, you should be able to find a hairdresser who was taught, or instinctively knows, that this is the right thing to do.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
I was just thinking the same thing. My beautician starts in the back and works her way to the front and she's quick wit it too! She washes the back first then the front and in all my years I've never had a problem.

Wildflower, I use the shower head and sometimes ask someone to help me. I bend over the bath so that I dont wet the back. You need a ateady hand or a trustworthy friend.

Wildflower, I use the shower head and sometimes ask someone to help me. I bend over the bath so that I dont wet the back. You need a steady hand or a trustworthy friend.

What if you relax wet hair? I have porosity control and it says it can be used before a relaxer but you have to apply the porosity control and then rinse out. But I've never used it before a relaxer because it didn't make much sense because my hair would be wet. Since wetting the hair causes it to accept more moisture would the relaxer be able to damage your hair more or something?

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Wildflower, I use the shower head and sometimes ask someone to help me. I bend over the bath so that I dont wet the back. You need a steady hand or a trustworthy friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lonei:Thanks for the help!

I relaxed my hair for the first time last month too and my hair is a little underprocessed in the middle this is where
I get the most newgrowth I will relax the middle first the next time.
Thanks for the tip Ladies.

[ QUOTE ]
AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
are you saying DSD, that you perm on different days, or u perm one section wash out let dry, do another section

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I relax the same day. Contrary to most people's belief's slightly damp hair can be relaxed. The only part that get wet is the place where the sections meet. I usually wind up wiping off the coat of vaseline.

Back