Essential Peppermint Oil

janeemat

Ladies, I've been adding a few drops of peppermint oil to my deep con for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I do this every Sat when I shampoo. I've noticed that my scalp is itching like crazy by Thurs. Last night it itched so bad I just had to just stratch and dig hard to get some relief. Then my hair became tangled and being 5 weeks post, I lost too me quite a bit of hair. I'm sitting at my desk now and it feels like something crawling on my scalp. I can hardly resist scratching when I have an itchy scalp. I may have to start doing my mid week shampoo again (Wed) like I did over the summer. I cut back to once a week because of my semi rinse not lasting. Has anyone else experience this from using peppermint oil?

EishBuhgeish said:
:confused:

Maybe you used too much and its just irritating your scalp now...

That's what I was thinking. You only need one or two drops added to the shampoo you pour in you hand. Let's say you pour a half dollar size amount in your hand, then you would need only one drop of peppermint essential oil.

HTH:)

It's only 2 or 3 drops that I'm adding to my shampoo. I may leave it out tomorrow and see what happens.

Maybe you're just flat-out allergic to peppermint... :ohwell:

janeemat said:
It's only 2 or 3 drops that I'm adding to my shampoo. I may leave it out tomorrow and see what happens.

I used Peppermint oil Saturday in my conditioner and a little on my scalp ( I got a lil carried away). I used about 7 drops, I noticed the smell, but that went away. I'm trying to see if that will help my edges..
But, I haven't started itching......

I really believe I am allergic to peppermint oil. No matter how much of it I use, my eyes start burning and turning red and my scalp and neck itch too. Due to this, I don't use it any longer. :look:

Essential oils are extremely concentrated and should not be used with really diluting them before applying to your skin . The best way to dilute them if you're planning to use an essential oil on your body, or scalp, is to dilute it in a "carrier" oil, like olive oil, or even good old vegetable oil.;)

Peppermint essential oil (as well as some others) should never be used if you are within your first three months of pregnancy or breast feeding. Just because something is natural does not make it safe.

You should only be using one to two drops of essential oil to a whole bottle of shampoo, more than that can cause an allergic reaction, or seriously irritate your skin. It can also damage your eyes if it runs into them in such undiluted amounts.

All mint essential oils contain menthol. Are you allergic to menthol by any chance? That's also why you need to be extremely careful when using peppermint oil on children, too much menthol can cause chocking.

Last edited:
Back