Dry Edges...what should i do.

babyblue113

My edges are dry. I wear my hair back in a ponytail and i slick it back with IC gel everyday, I think this is the cause of the dryness, because I mainly focus on my edges when applying gel to keep it looking neat and for hold.

Anyway, can someone tell me how I can care for my dry edges. Thanks.

hi babyblue,
do you have to use gel? if so, make sure it doesn't contain alcohol. make sure that your facial wash, which is drying, isn't getting into your hair. i highly recommend you switch the gel for nexxus humectress or headress leave-in conditioner to do your ponytail and lay your edges down. you'll be getting double benefits by doing this (sleek pony tail, moisture, & conditioning) finally, tie your hair up every night w/a silk scarf.

I have used the Fantasia IC Gel. It can get a tad crispy if you don't shampoo/rinse every day or two. ORS Lock & Twist Gel holds well w/o crunch. So does my new fave (it's cheaper
grin.gif
)--Smooth n Shine Gellation (the pink one). You may also want to try Elasta QP Glaze. Warning: It has mineral oil in it.

IMO, Worlds of Curls Curl Activator (in the jar) would work great for dry edges too. It's what I use. It doesn't make the hair hard, just nice and soft and moisturized.

I agree about using gel with alcohol. If you use a creamy leave in followed by a pomade....or World of Curls as both of the ladies suggested you should have no problems. I also think you should apply a little oil like jojoba before you use an alcohol free gel, or one of the other products posted to seal in moisture(dampen your hairline first). I find doing this at night and tying it down, makes my hair line very smooth and is stays all day. Also I agree be careful when washing your face. Left over soap(even if you rinse it well) will dry out your hairline. I cover mine first.

I spray mine with s-curl and seal it with a bit of motions LITE oil moisturizer....It keeps my edges nice and moisturized throughout the day

Back