Don't cut it challenge

bronxsoloist

Usually when I have really hefty knots that I think are cut worthy I move them over and try again later. I go in with Olive Oil and the metal end piece of the tail comb. Slowly removing strand by strand from the bottom. If after all this I learn it is a serious SSK, not coming out, staying in for life, I leave it alone.

I know it seems tempting to cut but I had to learn to leave as is.

Even with the splits I may notices a few if I'm playing with my twists and checking up on the ends, I will get slightly tempted to let loose with the scissors, but when I sit back and look at all the hair, the amount of splits overall is not significant and hasn't gotten any higher as my hair's gotten longer. I'm sure it will soon but for now, they aren't detrimental to my growth. Splits are inevitable. Keep cutting them and they will only return. Leave the ones you have now. Don't spare the length.

And truthfully speaking if I did have to go in for a trim it wouldn't be more than an inch. My ends are kept up off my body, sealed, and covered. So opportunity for splitting and tangles are low to begin with.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm in. I hadn't planned on trimming until next summer so this is right up my alley.

Ultimate hair goal - HL stretched. Maybe I'll make it before I die.
Scalp/Hair Care - Since it's cooler where I live, so I'll be washing and DC once a week and greasing my scalp (yes you read that right) twice a week.
Styles - I'll be protective styling with braid extensions, crochet braids, and wigs. I might flat iron in between installs just to gauge progress.

kblc06

I need this challenge in my life so I'm in. I retained so much length by wearing wigs and not trimming :nono::drunk:. And then I darn near chopped all my progress off. I just did a very thorough S&D and hemline trim so I should be good :look: (I might be feigning like Jodeci before it's all said and done though).

Lucia

B_Phlyy
You can do this, and stop hat negative talk right now you can make goal many times in your lifetime -what you say is just as important and what you do.

yamilee21

I needed this challenge throughout the past 2 1/2 years; massive shedding left my remaining hair so uneven that I cut back to just above waist (from hair that had once been full tail-bone, :( ) in the spring of 2012, and then *again* the following spring. Neither cut helped even out my hair at all long-term, but I have been dusting the ends or doing S & D throughout this time as well, also to no avail. Might as well dispense with the scissors, as their usage has not ameliorated the situation.

Ultimate goal: As long as it will grow, hopefully at least classic length. Currently, it's mid-back to hip, mostly waist-ish, when straight or banded. It's chin to shoulder when curly!

How: More regular co-washing, keeping hair stretched/untangled, remembering to seal more often

Styles: Mostly buns as usual, twists... I might actual flat iron a little more often this winter; flat ironing helps with keeping the tangles at bay (don't think I have flat ironed in over a year)... or maybe I should get better about wrapping right after washing.

The only problem is that the challenge ends right around the time I have been hacking my hair off these past few years, :lol:.

Last edited:

LynnieB

This is a 6 month challenge starting in Nov 1 2014-May 30 2015 but you can sign up anytime between now and Nov 30

So I was inspired to start a personal challenge but I decided to open this to be a forum challenge. So to start if your hair is damaged then trim cut s&d it but once the challenge starts no more cutting no s&d no trims at all and there are no passes.

To join sign up below (or if you just want to grow your hair out)

http://iconosquare.com/tag/teamnoscissors
Thanks for the invite!
Whats your ultimate hair goal?

I've already reached mine long ago - the longest it's ever been was :blush: buttcrack length - I maintain anywhere between waist and hip.

How will you keep your hair healthy your reggie doc scalp care etc?

Styles vary from natural to straightened and even how long I go between washes but what never changes is shampoo, deep condition, detangling with Vo5 and in small sections, never letting my hair get tangled up in the first place - when in natural styles it's always in braid or twist outs, trimming any splits when seen (S&D) or if hair tangles excessively at the ends (1/4"-1" trim), never EVER straighten without heat protection this includes blowdrying.

What styles will you wear?

Straightened or braid out or twist outs, buns and ponytails.

I will post inspirational pics and videos at least 2 times a month maybe more

Haven't taken many photos in quite a while in fact, it's been ages since I've updated my fotki album or even participate much on the boards. If I can remember, I'll take a few straightened or twist-out pics.

Babygrowth

This is definitely a challenge so I'm in.
Whats your ultimate hair goal? WL
How will you keep your hair healthy your reggie doc scalp care etc? I do my wash routine weekly but will be more adamant about heavy sealing as I'm also in the Shea growth challenge. I massage a sulfur product in my scalp every other night and do inversion.
What styles will you wear? I will rotate btwn crochet braids, Bantu knot outs and rollersets. Wigs if I'm having a bad hair day. Braids or Marley twists only if I feel like doing them.

Lucia

I remember the days my hair used to be that full ans could handle that much product. No so much now a days lol.

Lovely head of hair

Sent from my SPH-L300 using LHCF please ignore typos

Mz.MoMo5235
Don't focus on what you don't have but what you do have you have knowledge tools and patience to grow your hair out again keyword is again its easier after the first and easier after the second time. Trust me I know how it is to come back from a cut or damage. hang in there you're a pro at this game just work that reggie and be patient. In the meantime lets have some koolaid to pass the time :cheers: :alcoholic:
:bighug:
HHG

Last edited:

Lucia

LynnieB
:wave: Hi
I'll just refer everyone to your siggy pic or fotki for inspiration You're not just in the challenge you ARE the challenge :rofl:
Wow look at that hair gorgeous woman your are doing your thang.

Last edited:

Lucia

I did my S and D mini dusting before starting this challenge guess what of all the irony, I found a small split :nono: so I buttered my hair up and KIM. I'm just going to ignore it because you never get them all.

PlainJane

I'm in! I'm transitioning so this will keep me from chopping. I will trim sometime this month then start the challenge.

Whats your ultimate hair goal? (or if you just want to grow your hair out)
- MBL

- no heat, protect ends day and night, being gentle with hair

Buns, braids, trying to learn to rollerset

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I know I stated up thread that I already had my trim, so I wasn't going to cut it until after the challenge… but I want to cut the rest of this keratin treatment off. Yes I'll will lose about 2.5", but I think it will be worth it in the long run. What do you guys think?

Evolving78

I know I stated up thread that I already had my trim, so I wasn't going to cut it until after the challenge… but I want to cut the rest of this keratin treatment off. Yes I'll will lose about 2.5", but I think it will be worth it in the long run. What do you guys think?
why do you want to cut it off? Is it giving you problems? I just cut about 3 inches off so if it needs to go do it! This way you can really focus on having healthy ends!

Lucia

keranikki
If you want to go for it and make today your official start day dealing with a keratin treatment gone wrong is rough deal with it now.

keranikki

why do you want to cut it off? Is it giving you problems? I just cut about 3 inches off so if it needs to go do it! This way you can really focus on having healthy ends!
The straight ends are messing up my curls. Also, some parts are still breaking off at the line of demarcation. I've kept the length so far because my hubby likes it. I'm so over it.

keranikki

I cut roughly two inches off this evening. I then followed most of the steps in the last YouTube video that the OP posted. I got a lot of my curl back, but there are some places that barely wave up. I think these spots have heat damage. I will decide whether I'm going to cut the heat damage off tomorrow morning, after I take out my twists.

Edit: I have a lot of damage in the front. I won't cut again until this challenge is over.

image-1706592951.jpg

image-822748735.jpg

Last edited:

Holla

I'm in! I need this challenge in my life. I was looking at pics today of my hair just a few years ago and I was drooling. ….almost crying. I want to get back to that length….a good thick BSL. I trim too much these days and hinder my progress.

My ultimate goal is BSL straight natural
I'm going to deep condition weekly, m/s daily, baby my ends daily. protective style weekly. Detangle regularly so I don't get tangles/knots that will tempt me to cut. By the time my birthday rolls around in May, I WILL BE BSL!!!!!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
It doesn't feel fair to join this since I don't really cut my hair anyway.
On the other hand, I have been thinking about cutting lately so let me know if this challenge has room for me. :grin:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm in!

I want to get to waist length as a natural.

Deep condition twice a week. Protein every six weeks. Minimal shampoo and heat use.

Air dry bun or ponytail. Wigs when it gets a little colder.

caliscurls

I have been eye-balling this challenge since it was posted. After watching the videos and doing some soul searching (lol) I'm going to give it a try. Two weeks ago I dusted and will do any final "for good measure" search and destroys before month end.

Waist: EOY 2015
Tailbone: EOY 2017

HOT or overnight soak with EVCO weekly
Deep condition at least monthly
Continue mud washes and shampoo bars specifying the type based on hair needs weekly
Moisturize and Seal as needed
Use curlformers more often when I want to straighten
Continue good heat usage practices
Continue oil rinsing
Better moisture and sealing after washing

Buns, crown braids, braid outs on occasion, twists, straight styles every now and then

Lucia

Inspiration tips 4 hairstyles for short medium hair
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYjXycmjTc

Natural neicey Video talking about monthly hair are routine http://youtu.be/EZXKAJMMwDs

Video tutorial about it http://youtu.be/WkXAQGH1Wk0

Her regimen Published on Sep 30, 2014♡Hey everyone! This is my updated natural haircare regimen for healthy hair! A lot of you ask how to start a hair care regimen so hopefully this helps you out.♡

♡MY NATURAL HAIR REGIMEN♡

➨MONTHLY 1. Hot Oil Treatmeant (Extra Virgin Olive oil or mixed oils) 2.Shampoo - Clarify (Suave Almond and Shea Butter Shampoo & Creme of Nature Morroco Argan Oil Shine & Moisture Shampo ➨BI-WEEKLY 1. Cleansing Conditioner (Entwine Couture Cleansing Conditioner) 2. Protein Treatmeant (Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor) ➨WEEKLY 1. Deep Condition (see video here: 2. Co-wash (Tresemee Naturals Nourshing Conditioner, Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner & Herbal Essence Helly Hydration Conditioner ➨DAILY 1. Moisturize & Seal (see products here: http://bit.ly/1rH8H1h + http://bit.ly/1u7X9F0) 2. Take Hairfinity Hair Vitamin (review/update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2klY-naUXso ➨YEARLY Straighten natural hair 2x Trim Hair when needed RELATED VIDEOS ➨Wash & Go Routine: http://bit.ly/1tdbGuE updated Oct 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHNvn63nvnU&list=UU2mWyJtnPm1VQ7x-DkrdhCA ➨How I Blow Dry, Straighten & Trim: http://bit.ly/1pnsTQQ ➨My Natural Hair Journey: http://bit.ly/1vs1SBx ➨My Wash Day Routine: http://bit.ly/ZmMKd4 ➨My Ultra Moisturizing Deep Conditioner: http://bit.ly/1rporqq:

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I redid a couple of my braids around my hairline. I can still tell that my haircut from July is still in place, which means I have no breakage since then. I hope the protective styles will keep it that way.

yamilee21

So I did a half-hearted straightening job on my hair this weekend, to give myself a push on taking tangle-prevention more seriously. I am sad to confess that I had no choice but to snip off the ends of about 2 dozen strands... some were crazy multi-splits, but most were knots... not ordinary SSKs, but knots with shed hair balls hanging off of them. :blush: :perplexed :nono: :spinning: I think straightening might not be a good idea during this challenge after all, because it makes it too easy to spot strands that desperately need to be cut.

Lucia

So I did a half-hearted straightening job on my hair this weekend, to give myself a push on taking tangle-prevention more seriously. I am sad to confess that I had no choice but to snip off the ends of about 2 dozen strands... some were crazy multi-splits, but most were knots... not ordinary SSKs, but knots with shed hair balls hanging off of them. :blush: :perplexed :nono: :spinning: I think straightening might not be a good idea during this challenge after all, because it makes it too easy to spot strands that desperately need to be cut.

Oh no had you already trimmed before starting?
Cause that could count as your official pre challenge cut it's still sign up time until Nov 30?

PlainJane

I did a trim last week so I could join this challenge but while playing with my hair while watching tv last night I came across at least 10 splits in one section of my hair. I'm going to trim those then officially join this challenge. Hopefully, this will help me take care of my ends knowing that I'm not allowed to cut them.