Does this look harmful to anyone else? Dlow video

Ivonnovi

Dlow Shampoo System

I dont' know how I stumbled accross this video but check it out. To me the "techniques" used seem harmful to the hair, ESPECIALLY THE ENDS.

1. Excessive tangling/scrubbing of the hairs/not so much the scalp
2. The blowdry technique looks unprofessional, smells of fried smoke; and she barely used 2 hands. (OMG check it out at :43 - :50)
3. The 2nd "smoke"drying session gave me the chills too.

SMH, I'm not critiquing the Dlow Shampoo System (which I know nothing about); but her technique is a big FAIL!!!!!!! IMHO; I remember way back in the day when my ends looked that bad.

YouTube - Dlow Shampoo System from Start to Finish

Last edited:
...sorry, the first thing I thought when I saw 'Dlow Shampoo System' was not hair care... :look:

But yeah I would NOT want that woman doing my hair. :nono:

All the while, this woman was complaining about how "others" are coming to this country and taking money away from black hair stylists.

Ummmmmm ... perhaps if she sharpened her skills, maybe she'd get more business. :ohwell:

I'm so glad ya'll chimmed on this, I was surprised that nobody critiqued her skills in the remarks they were all prettymuch all "thumbs up".

On the last pageof comments the Lady syas that she's 85 years old and has been pressing hair since she was 16......... should we give her a pass?

She can't look at her client and she what she's doing to her edges?! You can tell she's an old school set in her ways stylist.

my mother & i use 2 go to Mrs. Low (d.o.rothy l.ow.) for years...she is good at pressing hair but she is not professional & does not value ur time. if u go expect to wait in ur car until she gets there (earliest appts are scheduled at 2pm but dont start until SHE arrives of course), wait while she eats her lunch (its 3pm by now), wait til she gets everything set up (3:30), THEN wait 4 her to take a break on the massage table after she shampoos ur hair. trust u wont leave that womans chair till 9 or 10pm if ur lucky.

im not tryin 2 badmouth the woman at all as i was a highly paying customer since i was a little girl. i stopped goin regularly when i went away 2 school & am glad i did.

ms. low does have customers w/ nice hair but she will press the mess out ya hair. i was a heat straightened natural my whole life until i decided to relax in febr. so the heat was not an issue.

she def does not advocate natural styles & styles which do not require blowdrying & pressing out
also she charges a lot & will not heistate to trump up the charges as u r @ the desk checking out/paying.
my last straw w/ her was an UNWANTED haircut that put me @ chin length in 2004. she tried 2 force me 2 pay an extra $20 for the cut that i told her i did not want. i could not believe her audacity. at that time i was 19 yrs old & had been goin 2 her since elementary school. i was pissed @ her snotty authority & her treatment of me after so many yrs. i refused 2 pay extra for the "trim" & havent seen her or lookd back since....i found lhcf a few years later thank God!

sorry if any of this seems rude cuz she like 90 yrs old but she has a PISS POOR attitude & is as mean & ORNERY as they come. she had VERY good senses & ALL her wits about her. her remaining customers prolly put up w/ her cuz they feel sorry but oh well i dont, esp when it comes 2 my hair

This reminds me of an old school press in curl. My mom and aunt had their hair pressed like this and still had hair on there heads. At one time my mom was waist length and my aunt's hair has always been BSL or a little longer.

Didn't look harmful to me....no different from what I got at the salon before getting a relaxer, except my stylist would curl my hair with a curling iron after she pressed it

Idk, something about using the blow dryer twice - once on wet hair and then another time to seal in the oils (which oils =/= heat protectant) and then pressing it like that just didn't sit right with me.

I use to get my hair pressed out with a hot comb like this all the time and my hair didnt get damaged. Infact with the weekly deep conditioning and monthly trims my hair grew longer and healthy, it doesnt look harmful to me. thanks for sharing thou

x

I could tell from her aged hands that she is probably in her 80's. Now, and please forgive me, but you think this is worse than a Dominican blowout??? LOL. I don't see that this is damaging any more than any other type of heat-styling. It's certainly DATED.

Nope. It's just a standard blow dry followed by a press. The client has thick hair that is probably naturally coarse and tightly coiled - this technique works to get that type of hair straight from root to tip ... and have it stay that way for more than a few minutes. Many women had long, full hair their entire lives using pressing combs without the scads of products used today so there's something to it.

As for the washing technique - that's how my mom washes hair - she is very thorough and I gather that is not the case in most salons today. She doesn't like left over gunk in the scalp and she will do what it takes to make sure it's gone. :) She's hair savvy and believes that a clean scalp is essential for health growth. This won't tangle your hair up if you know what you're doing. My only critique is that it looked like DLow used a bit more oil than I would but it may absorb in and eventually leave the hair light and well conditioned.

I've never been to DLow's shop so I can't comment on her punctuality but with some service providers if they do a good job then many will put up with quirks.

This is just a plain old press and curl from back in the day. As we know, the direct heat from those Kizure Oven pressing comb and curling iron is going to keep that lady's hair at the same length forever. You could tell it was an older hairstylist because of the wrinkles from years of water damage on her hands. I've seen worse, but that'll never happen in my salon.

This is just a plain old press and curl from back in the day. As we know, the direct heat from those Kizure Oven pressing comb and curling iron is going to keep that lady's hair at the same length forever. You could tell it was an older hairstylist because of the wrinkles from years of water damage on her hands. I've seen worse, but that'll never happen in my salon.

Not necessarily. My mom and her sisters got their natural hair pressed until they were adults and their hair was thick and long. Pinkskates, who used to be an LHCF member, had waist-length natural hair and she pressed her hair regularly. Of course, she used a different blowdrying method. (the tension blow-dry)

Plus, most people who get their hair pressed only get it done every couple of weeks, so their hair isn't getting exposed to heat regularly. As long as they deep condition and keep the moisture sealed into their ends, their hair will retain length. This woman's hair may be short due to regular trims or lack of maintenance in between salon visits.

BTW, that woman's edges don't look broken to me; they look kinky. On another side note, that vigorous scalp massage is what I miss most about visiting the salon.

I think it's a shame she made a video advertising her business complaining about folks coming in taking jobs. That seems very unprofessional to me and would make me want to not do business with her.

I used to get press'n curls back in the day, but hands down, that BLOW DRY TECHNIQUE IS ALL WRONG.

Take it from someone with fine thin stranded hair, "One should never "force" a blowdryer through anyone's(wet) hair, whether it has a comb attachment or not". That is a formula for breakage, unevenly dried hair, heat concentration, and split ends, she should have lead with a comb or blowdry brush.

Besides that, I'm tenderheaded and looking at the yanking hurtededed me!

Looks like any regular old salon technique down here in Miami...
Then again, with very few of the population of black women past APL, I'm not surprised.

The client's hair looked parched at the end. My hair used to look like that, and I thought it was healthy because it was somewhat long. Wrong! I wonder if her hair felt just as crispy as it looked.

I first met Dorothy Low about 8 (maybe 10) years ago when I was transitioning. A co-worker with natural hair introduced me to her products. Around the same time I found a stylist (not Ms. Low) that does an amazing press. The combination of the products and the right stylist are the reason I made a successful transition.

I won't disagree with some of the things that have already been said about her. She is old school and the salon experience is long and somewhat unprofessional. I only went to her a few times when I was learning how to take care of my hair in its natural state. She never forced a trim on me but there were times when I waited longer than I should have.

The flipside is that she is passionate about black women having healthy hair and her products work. She wasn't bad mouthing other stylists to get more business for herself. She honestly believes that relaxers and chemicals are the reason why so many black women wear weaves and have hair damage. She isn't looking for more customers. I believe she is waiting for another company to come along and buy her product.

BTW, the reason I chose another stylist is because she is old school. When she did my hair, it looked like an older woman's hairstyle with tight curls. Also, each and every conversation with her has something to do about chemicals and black women losing their hair. I was interested to a point (I was transitioning so naturally this caught my attention) but I didn't want to hear that every time I got my hair done. I just want my hair to be healthy, look good, and for the process to not take too long.

Also :nono: at her hot combing the very very thin spot on her temple.

I get why this would bother you but its not unusual if you get your hair pressed. All the hair is pressed. Kinky hair doesn't get a pass because its thin.

Idk, something about using the blow dryer twice - once on wet hair and then another time to seal in the oils (which oils =/= heat protectant) and then pressing it like that just didn't sit right with me.

Ms. Lowe claims that her products protect the hair from heat damage which is why there is no issue going over the hair twice. I don't mean to sound like I'm on her payroll (because I'm NOT) but I never had any damage when she did my hair or when I used her products off and on for years. It was the pj in me that caused me to use other products. I actually plan on picking up a few things from her in the near future.

I could tell from her aged hands that she is probably in her 80's. Now, and please forgive me, but you think this is worse than a Dominican blowout??? LOL. I don't see that this is damaging any more than any other type of heat-styling. It's certainly DATED.

I'll co-sign on the Dominican blowout being worse and her method being dated. But it works.

am i the only one that thinks that it was too much heat for nothing XD! that style could be achieved better and with a heat protector (or i missed that part??!)

Sweet_Silvia88 ...you are not alone on that. All that heat for a simple doo? Naw-son! And her ends were "fried" looking too? I think there had to be "healthier" altrenatives to achieve that look/style.
am i the only one that thinks that it was too much heat for nothing XD! that style could be achieved better and with a heat protector (or i missed that part??!)

Regarding scalp massages, LOVE THEM, BUT ...the scrubbing method used in the video will lead to more tangling than I can (comfortably) handle.

I've never seen the Dominican Blowout, but I do hope they don't FORCE THE BLOWDRYER THROUGH THE HAIR USING THE HEAT AND COMB TEETH TO DETANGLE ALONG THE WAY. That's just hairacide!:blush:

Last edited:
Back