DOES EVERYONE HERE AIRDRY THEIR HAIR???

offthechainliz

ever since I found this forum I've been air drying my hair for the past 3-4 month. I was making progress before I went to a scissor happy stylist back in oct. I just got a relaxer. 3 days ago and I can see noticeable results. My hair definitely got longer. (despite the fact that it was coming out in clumps because of a bad color, let me rephrase she put a bleach in my hair when I ask for a color) my point is sometimes I feel air drying is to much manipulation and that leaving my hair wet may not be good for my hair. (even though I see results)
confused.gif

Does any one else feel this way about air drying and who still air dries their hair and what products do you use?

For those that don't air dry do you feel it's helping or hindering your progress and how often do you wash and what products do you use. (do you roller set or hand dry?)

thanks a bunch!!

I'm 5 months post relaxer and I can't airdry...it just looks a mess and causes more breakage. I shampoo, deep condition, blow dry, apply leave-in conditioner and finishing lotion and place in a bun every week. This works for me, since I'm not relaxing, I think blow drying is ok...but as soon as I get a relaxer I'll air dry again.

I airdry my hair almost all of the time. I airdry in a ponytail/bun. I'll CO on Mondays and Wednesdays w/ Humectress and follow with Lust. On Fridays, I shampoo with Therappe and add EVOO to the Humectress and follow w/ LUST. I only put elasta qp mango butter and Carols Daughter Healthy Hair Butter or Wild Growth Oil on my hair. I usually just dry in in the position that I am going to wear it in, so I'll I do is take down the bun and put more mango butter on the ends, if I do that.

What are you doing to your hair when you airdry?

i did hear lots of people on the forum raving about airdrying so i decided to give it a go myself. it was okay--( i liked the waves i got from wearing my hair in a bun while my hair dried) but i just didn't like the total result of how my hair felt, plus i noticed more hair breakage (for myself) than when i blow dry. i never use any other heat, so i'm gonna stick to blowdrying every 7-10 days i consider it a perk
wink.gif

What I've recently started doing is after washing and conditioning, I spray Sta-sof-fro and seal with UBH lotion, and then comb my hair into two "bunlets" (my hair is not long enough for one bun. I make the buns by first holding the hair with an ouchless band, and then wrap the length around itself and pin the ends down. When I take it down after it dries, it's very soft and the ends are kinda curled up, and the front part is straight enough for me to comb my bangs out. It looks like a modified Halle cut
wink.gif

Before I used to either roller set and airdry, or airdry straight and then use a flat iron, but apart from the fact that I lost the curls in the next couple of days (still can't do a doobie wrap
whyme.gif
) I found that there was less breakage without the heat (flat iron) and manipulation (rollers)

I'm still experimenting with a complete air dry. My hair is thick and never completely dries overnight, which is very frustrating for me, especially during these cold winter months in Chicago.

Black Cardinal (I believe) posted a air dry routine that seemed to really work for her (search for "Eureka")...I've adopted some of the techniques & products, and I hope I can find a good fit and get good results. I have found that, from the few times I've done it, my hair seems to be stronger when air drying. I just spot dry with low/warm heat for the damp areas & voila! I also find that with the air drying, because I put the hair out of sight, I'm less tempted to play with it and less prone to overstyle & over manipulate it like I would if I blow dry. But again, I'm still experimenting & learning...

I really liked the John Frieda Relax serum when doing my air dry. And I also avoid pulling too much @ my new growth, which was part of the reason air drying seemed too harsh at first. I think it's all in finding the technique.

I airdry my hair alllllllllll the time. I used to dry it in these huge braids but it dries straighter and is easier to put into a ponytail when I dry it in bantu knots. My hair is pretty thick so i have to make a lot of knots (like 20 or more) but I like the end result. It comes out moisturized, soft, and when i put it into a bun the bun looks thicker.

ive been airdying my hair since oct 02, my hair turns out the same way it would had a blow dried. the results are thicker, healthier, longer strands of hair. i havent seen any breakage to talk about.

About 90% of the time,I airdry my hair. Since coming to this forum and discovering Carol's Daughter,the airdrying process is much better for me. I still experience frizz,but that's only because my hair never dries overnight and in the mornings,I comb my damp hair. I can't say airdrying is not good for my hair because I have always thought I had a handle on this "hair care thing",but I never saw results,but now- yall better watch out. I have faith that when I update my album in Feb. and straighten my hair in April,the hair will be da bomb diggity.

I air dry. It's not cute, but it's healthy. I've been sitting under my hooded dryer for about 20 minutes instead of straight out air drying the entire time (because of the cold weather)--and that does give me a bit more smoothness.

I air dry 100% of the time and it works for me because I always wear my bun and tie it down with a scarf. The only heat my hair gets besides what's coming from my head is the heat cap I wear when I deep condition. And this works for me.

I always air dry. The key to smooth, frizz-free air dried hair for me is 1.) drying my hair with a silk scarf instead of a towel, 2.) apply a leave-in conditioner and moisturizer (Elasta QP Mango Butter or Kiehl's Silk Groom), 3.) apply a serum, 4.) don't touch hair until it is dry. This works well for me.

Tee,

That's the same order that I apply stuff to my hair (leave-in, moisturize, serum). It does work good with a silk scarf.

i do as well. im trying not to use heat on my hair at all until july when i get a trim. after i do a co wash i apply mango butter and spray with infusium 23 and it curls up really tight.

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Tee,

That's the same order that I apply stuff to my hair (leave-in, moisturize, serum). It does work good with a silk scarf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I liked you for some reason!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leshia said:
I air dry as well. All i ever do is wear buns, so there's not much need for anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!!!

I was air drying all the time in summer, now that winter is here, it's harder to do. But it has been beneficial to the health of my hair. My hair is healthier and stronger when I air dry.

I airdry only because blowdrying my hair is like going to war. The last time I did it, my arm almost fell off.
laugh.gif

I usually apply a leave in, some kinda creme and scrunch (if I wanna go wavy) or put it in a ponytail or clip. Once dry or semi-dry, I apply some Hot 6 Oil. I love this stuff.

I have been airdrying my hair for years now...probably once it got to bra strap length b/c it was just too much hair to blowdry "wet to dry."

When I was fully relaxed, I would airdry and then blowdry my hair to straightness and then curl it.

Now that I'm transitioning, I haven't touched my own blowdryer since May. I realized when I straightened my hair last month that I can completely skip the blowdrying part and just curl/straighten with the curling iron. I wish I had known that when relaxed.

I will probably be throwing my blowdryer in the garbage very soon!

I always air dry now that I found this board, before that it was optional. I love the waves I get from airdrying in a bun with mango butter and my hair is SO soft.

I airdry as well. I put my hair into a bun after my hair is about 70% dry, and it helps keep my hair strong and tamed.

I airdry all the time in the summer, and 50% of the time in the cold months. (I wash weekly and alternate with roller-setting) This routine has been working out great for me
smile.gif

I'm coming up on 12 weeks since my last relaxer (on friday), so airdrying means fairly puffy roots. It's alright though, since I don't wear my hair down anyway. I just make sure to get the conditioner worked in really well at the roots when I wash. My newgrowth is actually nice and moisturized and soft right now (coconut oil
smile.gif
), so I'm not going to sweat it. I should be getting my touch up in another couple weeks (whenever my mommy is free).

Um, I don't really get out much so my hair being wet isn't really a problem
laugh.gif
Plus my hair isn't too thick so it dries quickly.

Yes, and I love it. Just need to be more careful now since we are in the cold months with the flu season in full effect. But still it made my hair soft, thick and less breakage.

I have started doing it this summer.

Back