Does anyone NOT wash their hair in Braids or Twists?

Thank you for all of the great responses ladies! It seems like most of you do wash loose as I do. I'm just past my 1 year of natural hair so I just wanna keep on the right track. The only drawback is that I use so much water, so I now wash my hair at a bath house to save me some money on my gas bill. My hair is super thick, but I love running my fingers through it and it's easy to do so because I detangle before hand.

I don't. What i do is part my hair down the middle and co wash or shampoo in halves. Anything i put in my hair, i rake it through...so i rake my co washing conditioner/shampoo through my hair...this helps with detangling and it allows me to reach my scalp.

When i detangle i put one side in a ponytail and section as i go...using a hair clip on the other side...repeat the process on the other side.

I wash my hair loose. I try not to ruffle my hair too much, and I focus my attention on my scalp. I don't section to condition/detangle, either.

Washing my hair in twists or braids was the second most unhelpful hair advice I picked up (dry finger detangling being the first!). It takes me forever when I've done my hair that way. Plus it's more manipulation and causes my hair to catch at the end. I do my hair in 2 clipped up sections, one after the other, but that's just so that I know I've detangled or distributed product evenly. When I don't need to be as careful, sometimes I go through it with no sections at all.

I cannot put product on my hair without sectioning it. I use the same amount of product, but will still have strands untouched. I need to section for everything except co-washing as soaking wet hair and slippy conditioner helps ensure the conditioner gets everywhere. Everything else, I need to section.

My hair is only NL and not long enough to put in twist or braids. I wash my hair loose but section it off and clip it up while conditioning. My hair shrinkage is too major and my hair is too dense to try to get conditioner on my hair without sectioning. My hair also doesn't hang at all making production application tough. Maybe when my hair gets longer I may need to braid it up. I probably will always section when conditioning because it makes applying product and styling easier that way. If I rinse out the conditioner before I section, it just makes everything take longer.

I don't, I wash my hair hanging down loose. I just make sure I don't pile hair on top of my head. For some of reason I feel like I'm not getting my scalp good enough when I wash in braids or plats. I just like washing my hair loose and hanging down to make sure I'm getting everything thing clean. Haven't had any issues with it, even during my transition didn't get any tangles or anything.

I Bantu knot my hair into four sections. In the shower I take one section down at a time wash, rinse, and then pin back up. I do this again with conditioner but I leave it in my hair while I wash up, then rinse with cold water.

By the way I'm apl natural.

I wash my hair loose then section it off after when I'm conditioning. I'm natural but my hair isn't very thick.

this :yep:

I take out whatever style Im in , finger detangle on dry hair with conditioner or oil (if needed) then wash loose.

when Im applying my conditioner I section into maybe 8 or so twists and my hair staye in twists for the rest of the wash

Back