Does anyone here use ionic styling tools?

AFashionSlave

confused.gif
I was thinking about buying an ionic hair dryer, but I'm not sure if it is worth the money? Does anyone here use an ionic hair dryer, flat iron, curling iron, etc? Do they work better than normal heat appliances? Do ionic appliances use less heat? Are they less damaging to the hair than regular curling irons and blow dryers? Is ionic worth the money?

I use an ionic dryer and I can say that I do see an improvement in my hair. I use it on medium - warm and my hair dries in about 20-25 minutes. It's definitely better than my previous "regular" 1600 watt hair dryer. I don't feel like my hair is being fried, so I feel safe using it 3 times a month. I used an ionic flat iron for a while, but I personally didn't see much difference and it would snag my hair, so I put it to rest quick. Hope this helps.

I have an ionic diffuser by VS. I only used it a couple of times, so I couldn't tell you how it measures up. The plus is that it dry my hair fairly fast w/o t blowing all around.

I have the Pantene ionic dryer. I really feel like "ionic" products are a gimmick. I haven't used my dryer on my hair as of yet, but when I turn it on, it feels just as hot as a regular hair dryer.

HAI has come out with this new ionic dryer that supposedly uses less heat but dries faster. Its 350 dollars but they tested it in a celebrity salon on Cher's hair and the stylists said it worked great. I am thinking of buying this maybe.

I have an ionic blowdryer, and I have to say it lives up to all the hype. Cuts my drying time by more than half, my hair is really shiny, soft and full of body after.

I also have a soft bonnet ion dryer from Sally's. Same deal, my rollersets dry in record time, and my hair looks really glossy afterward.

Supergirl said:
I have the Pantene ionic dryer. I really feel like "ionic" products are a gimmick. I haven't used my dryer on my hair as of yet, but when I turn it on, it feels just as hot as a regular hair dryer.

I agree. I have an Ionic one and I don't see any difference.

But this article (page 4) http://www.beautystorebusiness.com/pdf/features/bsb0604blow_dryer_boom.pdf sums up what I've read about them.

"Of the more recent advances in blow-dryers, the
introduction of ionic technology has had the greatest
impact. When electricity passes over an ion emitter—
usually made up of tiny pins of stainless steel—oxygen
particles drop an electron and become negative ions.
Negative ions break down water globules into micromolecules,
which can then be quickly absorbed into
the hair shaft, hydrating it and sealing the cuticle. This
breakup of water molecules allows the hair to dry
quicker and with less heat, resulting in smoother,
shinier, healthier and more manageable hair."

My vote is for ionic and ceramic products. I have a Babyliss ionic & ceramic blow dryer. I loved it. I could dry my hair on the warm setting and had wonderful results; shiney, smooth hair in less time, granted I still had to use a large round bor bristle brush, but the results were much better than a regular blow dryer.

I now use a tourmaline (ion & ceramic) wet to dry flat iron and I think its the best thing I have ever found! Less time from towel dried to out the door styled hair- no damage, no burnt hair, glossy finish. I switched from blow drying to wet to dry flat ironing bc I seem to lose too much hair when brushing section by section. With the flat iron I could dry and style with several passes of the flat iron and seal moisture inside the hair with no breakage. Say, with blow drying I'd lose 80-100 hairs in the brush, and I'd see some broken ends. With flat ironing I lose maybe 7-10 hairs-no joke!

Also, with the regular blow dryer, I remember smelling burnt hair and seeing all this steam. I was drying my hair out terribly! I just didn't know any better back then. With the metal curling irons I recal smelling burnt hair often. With the ceramic curling irons, no burnt hair, no red ends- my hair no longer turns red (copper colored) over time on the last 1/4 of the length. I believe the improvement has shown in the length I have achied and maintained.

Last edited:
Cleo said:
I use an ionic dryer and I can say that I do see an improvement in my hair. I use it on medium - warm and my hair dries in about 20-25 minutes. It's definitely better than my previous "regular" 1600 watt hair dryer. I don't feel like my hair is being fried, so I feel safe using it 3 times a month. I used an ionic flat iron for a while, but I personally didn't see much difference and it would snag my hair, so I put it to rest quick.
Hope this helps.

I second this. The hair definitely feels better when using a ion dryer. I also use mine on a medium/warm setting. I only use mine about once a month.

HoneyDew said:
But this article (page 4) http://www.beautystorebusiness.com/pdf/features/bsb0604blow_dryer_boom.pdf sums up what I've read about them.

"Of the more recent advances in blow-dryers, the
introduction of ionic technology has had the greatest
impact. When electricity passes over an ion emitter—
usually made up of tiny pins of stainless steel—oxygen
particles drop an electron and become negative ions.
Negative ions break down water globules into micromolecules,
which can then be quickly absorbed into
the hair shaft, hydrating it and sealing the cuticle. This
breakup of water molecules allows the hair to dry
quicker and with less heat, resulting in smoother,
shinier, healthier and more manageable hair."
I broke down and bought the T3 Tourmaline Blow Dryer. I have never shelled out that kind of money for a hair appliance. Because I am still weaning myself from the blow dryer, I thought that this new technology would be gentler on my hair "breaking down the water molecules, sealing the cuticle and drying it from the inside out" and all.

I didn't see much difference in the texture, but I saw much less hair on my bathroom counter!!! I use the cool setting for about a third of the drying time. It only takes me about 6 minutes to dry my shoulder length hair.

I also bought the ION hooded dryer for my deep conditioning and drying.

I have been using a ceramic curling iron for a couple of years now and notice much less breakage than from a regular iron.

I have many blow dryers, but my ionic dryer is by far my favorite. Since it is a nozzle dryer I have learned to be a multitasker, but my hair dries faster and is shinier at the end.

Back