Do you throw/give away or tweak your products?

almond eyes

Usually, when I don't like a product or it's not working I have thrown it out or gave it away, but now I reformulate it to make it work for me.

For example, my Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream and Burdock Butter I found were too sticky and gummy for my fine hair, so I decided instead of wasting it to tweak it. I brought many jars last year when I went to work in Africa and when I got back to the States this year, I gave away some and then kept the others out of guilt and then realised, that I should re-formulate them to suit my needs.

Have you ladies re-tweaked your products and what was the product and how did you retweak it?.

With my Qhemet Biologics Heavy Cream I put that in a plastic bowl and with a plastic spoon, mixed in some aloe juice, coconut oil, distilled water and I mixed it until it became a lighter smooth version. Now I can use it without my hairs sticking to the product and coming out.

I also made a conditioning gel with my ECO-Styler and dumped some of my products that I didn't want anymore into the mix.

I guess what I am saying is that don't waste your products, re-do them; it will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I tweaked BB Castor Oil Moisturizer. I bought it, used it once, found it was too heavy and just neglected it. I was in a crunch and decided to just add some water since it was too thick. Man, best moisturizer ever. My hair has gotten thicker, less breakage, less shedding, less everything lol. I'm going to buy another bottle when I run out of another moisturizer I had neglected.

I find that coconut oil saves most of the products I don't like. I bought a jar of Silk Elements deep conditioner and it left my hair feeling hard and crunchy. I poured some coconut oil and avocado oil in it and now its perfect.

I dont have much patience :look: Usually if i use something and it doesn't work i'll give it away. If i use a product and it works 1x, then on the 2nd try it doesn't ...i do a 3rd try as a tie breaker and that'll determine if i keep it.

I dont tweak or anything. At the most, i'll add a teaspoon of coconut oil to a DC if doesnt feel good going on my hair at that moment, afterwards i'll give it away if it doesn't perform well.

Now that ive found all my staples, if something doesn't impress me immediately it's gone...

Last edited:
I usually give products I don't like to my sister, aunt or my mom. :look:

But seriously, they're not hair snobs like me, and most products I have purchased are good quality, I just for whatever reason, didn't like how they worked in my hair.

If it's a conditioner that I don't find moisturizing enough I often make it into a pre-poo with some oil.

Have you ladies re-tweaked your products and what was the product and how did you retweak it?.

Yes, I have re-tweaked products. I did this with Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner and Pantene Nature Fusion conditioner. They were okay as is, but I wanted to "enhance" them. So I added silk amino acid, behentrimonium methsulfate, panthenol, and honeyquat. Sometimes a drop of something can take a product to a whole new level. However, some products cannot be salvaged and are given away or thrown out. C'est la vie!

It depends what it is. I threw away some motions holding spritz the other day. I've had it for years and there was honestly nothing i could have done with it...maybe i should have kept the bottle

I used to give stuff away (and I gave away a ton of poos and cons after I got my first BKT!!), now I'm pretty much satisfied with what I'm using, and I'm trying to curb my PJism. I did add Neutral Protein Filler to my HairOne a while back, but other than that, IK don't really tweak.

I find that coconut oil saves most of the products I don't like. I bought a jar of Silk Elements deep conditioner and it left my hair feeling hard and crunchy. I poured some coconut oil and avocado oil in it and now its perfect.

I do the same. :yep:

I give them away, mostly. I throw away very little.

I threw away 9 items tonight to make room for additional stuff.

I usually give them away. I don't think i've ever thrown any hair products away as of yet, surprisingly.

I have a hard time throwing away products. If it doesn't work on my hair, I'll use it on my stepdaughters's hair or on my wig or give it to my mother.

good thread... so you're saying Qhemet products can be tweaked??? hmmm, note to self...

I have stuff stashed everywhere... under my sink:blush:, in the side long cabinet:blush::blush:, in promotional lunch coolers I received a few years back :blush::blush::blush:, in my closet in a basket, and I have a shelf with my newest fixations:spinning::lachen: seriously, some of that stuff could be expired :look::ohwell::blush: I need to spring clean out all my hair nooks and crannies and see what I can salvage:lachen:... not today:look:

ooooooo:blush: and I just remembered, I have some hair goodies on their way... I hope I love them...

If they dont work for me, I dont throw them away but I just stop using them :look:

I have alot of products to tweak. Or maybe I'll give them away at the next meetup.

I mostly tweak conditioners by mixing them together. If I feel I can't do anything with them I will give them to my mother. The things I have thrown away in the past are the products that I don't think anyone should touch. (ie. that dark brown protein gel)

I usually buy in bulk because I am abroad so much. When I came back to the States, I realised what a shame to waste or give away these things, after all it was hard earned money.

For example, I don't like the stickiness of the Sta-fro, Scurl joint so I mixed the both of them up into the Burdock butter root and added some aloe vera juice.

I just discovered that coconut oil and aloe juice can save a product from a conditioner to a leave-in/moisturiser.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I have 3 items that i've purchased: Keracare silken seal, Cantu shea butter leave in, and SE Mega Cholesterol..I absolutely hate them. The SE cholesterol just sits on my hair and takes forever to wash out. The Cantu leav-in makes my hair soft but it feels very coated and "ashy" looking once my hair dries. And the silken seal makes my hair stiff.

I hate to just throw them away because I only used each item twice at the most, but I have no clue how to tweak them.

I don't think I've ever thrown a way a hair product. I generally spend a lot of time researching products before buying them. I still am learning how products work on my hair and in what combination to use them.

However, I have some Nature's Blessing Pomade, Dax Hair Pomade, Let's Jam hair gel and a couple of other petroleum-based hair grease products that I probably won't ever use again, but I don't want to just throw away.

Give away..last give away-hundreds of dollars in products..my cousin a natural hair stylist promised me a freebie twist..still waiting months later.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I try to tweak the products or my regimen. For instance, I got some seyani hair butter (shescentit) and it was ok on my transitioning hair. I had the idea to spritz with my glycerin/water/condish mix THEN use it and :love: the rest was history.

Sometimes I try to tweak the products or my regimen. For instance, I got some seyani hair butter (shescentit) and it was ok on my transitioning hair. I had the idea to spritz with my glycerin/water/condish mix THEN use it and :love: the rest was history.

I used the shescent coc cream leave in and then I used the seyanii butter and it was nice and soft. I think the butter might be better used as a sealant, at least on my hair.

I give the products I just stop using or products I don't like to my family and friends to try. They always love them lol

adding honey, silk amino acids, or olive oil always seems to help sucky products.

& if they just can't be saved, they turn into shaving lotion :lol:

Back