Do you find that some protective styles are better than others?

snoop

My go-to protective style has been two strand twists. As my hair grew out of a TWA, I was itching to try new styles. Now that my hair is long enough to do so, I'm scared that they're not going to be as much protection as twists.

Do you find that all protective styles are created equal?

In a word, no. When I was natural, twists were perfect for me until I grew out of the TWA stage. Then my fine hair couldn't handle the manipulation that twists required, nor could it deal with the tangles that occurred when I was doing/undoing them, so I had to abandon the twists. Afro puffs (and sleeping with said puff in a silk bonnet) became my go-to PS until my hair was long enough to French braid, then I switched to that because it looked nice and I could keep that style for a week with no manipulation. Now that my hair is MBL and I'm relaxed, I find that loose buns (made with no ponytail holders) work best as a PS for me. So it totally depends on the nature of your hair and what it does at various stages in determining the best PS for you. Just listen to your hair and be mindful of what it's trying to tell you. :yep:

Yeah I'm thinking not all PS are created equal depending on each person's hair. I got great growth when I was flat ironed most of the time but I wanted to lay off the heat for a bit so I started getting senegalese twists a few months ago. I love them but I haven't gotten the retention I'm used to (and want:look:.) My ends get uneven when I get them and then I have to trim. I've gotten amazing retention when I've had my hair in cornrows for vacation so I know it can be done.:yep: My hair is straight now but I'm going to try boxed braids in a couple weeks and see what that does.:yep:

Yeah I'm thinking not all PS are created equal depending on each person's hair. I got great growth when I was flat ironed most of the time but I wanted to lay off the heat for a bit so I started getting senegalese twists a few months ago. I love them but I haven't gotten the retention I'm used to (and want:look:.) My ends get uneven when I get them and then I have to trim. I've gotten amazing retention when I've had my hair in cornrows for vacation so I know it can be done.:yep: My hair is straight now but I'm going to try boxed braids in a couple weeks and see what that does.:yep:

I completely agree. I absolutely LOVE my weaves for a protective style because I feel that I look more mature and womanly however I get the absolute best growth and retention with single braids/senegelese twists. I haven't done two-strand twists with only my hair since 2008 so I cannot even remember if I liked how they looked or how well they retained the growth and health of my hair. Although I love single braids, I don't like the fact that I look and feel like a child. I guess it's a small price to pay and I guess I'll be looking/feeling like this for a couple of years...lol

I haven't done two-strand twists with only my hair since 2008 so I cannot even remember if I liked how they looked or how well they retained the growth and health of my hair. Although I love single braids, I don't like the fact that I look and feel like a child. I guess it's a small price to pay and I guess I'll be looking/feeling like this for a couple of years...lol

It's funny that you say this. Someone made a comment the other day when I had my bangs in two strand twists. I figure that I look like a kid on the best of days and at this point in my life I'd rather look younger instead of remembering that I'm not that young anymore.:lol: I know what you mean though.

Bumping for more responses. I would like to know too, if there are protective styles that are better for retaking length. Some say wigs and weaves are the best protective styles. I use curl formers or braidouts as my go to PS. I pinned the curls up & it normally last for about 2wks

I like wigs because all of my hair is covered, I can change my style/color as often as I want and I am able to nurture my strands and scalp underneath

Back