Did you tell your stylist when you were ready to DIY?

Connie

Or did you just stop going to her/him?

If you told your stylist, how did it go over with her/him, if at all?

I mentioned in another thread that I told my stylist that I was thinking of self-relaxing. Silly, naive me actually expected she'd be supportive, since ours is a decade-long stylist-client relationship. She wasn't snippy or catty about it, but she was only supportive enough to tell me that doing it myself would not result "in my hair looking as good as when she does it" and that the products she uses aren't found in the BSS. (Yesterday I strolled into the BSS around the corner from where I live and saw the same exact relaxer she uses, as well as the neutralizing shampoo. To be honest, I was a tad ticked because I put her on a pedestal and thought she was better than most--and that I could trust her to be on the level with me.)

So, because I'm still not comfortable enough to self-relax, I'll just go natural when I'm finally done being bothered with the relaxer (or she leaves town for some reason). I know for certain I can handle my natural hair.

LunadeMiel

Yup sure did...:yep:

I told her that I was going natural. She called me crazy, then I told her that I can take care of my hair by myself.....

Bublin

When i decided to go natural i was asked, 'What for? What are you gonna do with your head?

Now relaxed i told the hairdresser that i will not be needing anymore trims.
I told her about 'Seek and Destroying' individual splits.
She looked at me crazy, thought about it and then said, 'Well it will spoil your hairstyle'. I promptly reminded her that i didn't have a style and my aim was to grow my hair.

Connie

When i decided to go natural i was asked, 'What for? What are you gonna do with your head?

Now relaxed i told the hairdresser that i will not be needing anymore trims.
I told her about 'Seek and Destroying' individual splits.
She looked at me crazy, thought about it and then said, 'Well it will spoil your hairstyle'. I promptly reminded her that i didn't have a style and my aim was to grow my hair.

If you don't mind my asking, how long were you natural and why'd you start relaxing again?

There are days when I want to be relaxer-free again and days when I'd rather not fix what isn't broken, kwim?

Divine Inspiration

Nope! My last visit to her was so bad that I was sure she could put 2 and 2 together. I was completely over her and her lack of professionalism.

Lucky's Mom

I was flatly told " I don't do no Press and Curl so - I don't know what you are gonna do".....

I knew what I was gonna do. I have been thinking about walking into her shop. I would love to see the look on her face.
:look:

MizAvalon

No, I just stopped calling her. I do feel a little bad about that because I saw her for so many years. But then, she never called me to see what happened, so I guess we're even.

I have thought about calling her several times over the past year since I became a DIY'er to get my hair cornrowed because that's something that I don't know how to do.

scorpian

I just stopped going...she called to ask me what happened and I told her that I no longer had any hair for her to style(back when I did the BC)...she even sent me coupons in the mail

michaela

Natural 4b
I just stopped calling her.
She called to see if i was coming but i told her No.
She has been doing my hair For 12 years now Every Saturday.
Now i know how a regular Saturday feels going out and swimming with friends. Now i dont have to worry about what im going to have to do for my hair when i go to college because i already can do it myself:yep:

MirrorDoll

I told my stylist.

She wrecked my hair. When I started taking better care of it (and down the road transitioning) it seemed as if she had a problem with it. She felt that I was misinformed and begrudginly did what I asked her to do.

I just cut the rope. I decided to do my hair at home. There was no drama or anything like that.

BeautifulFlower

I just stop going. She didnt call. I didnt care. I'll go back one day for maybe a wash and set. I know they will scream OMG your hair is so long now. I'll be like yup, no thanks to you.

Gracie

I was flatly told " I don't do no Press and Curl so - I don't know what you are gonna do".....

I knew what I was gonna do. I have been thinking about walking into her shop. I would love to see the look on her face.
:look:

Me too!! If you ever do it please let us know what happened

Gracie

I can't imagine any hairstylist being supportive of anybody who decides to stop going to them. Honestly if I were a stylist there is no way in the world I'd support the idea of my bread and butter not coming anymore.

Isn't it something how they have trained us to think that we NEED them?!? or that we are unable to care for something that we were born with. We were doing our hair in bathrooms, bedrooms, livingrooms basements, kitchens and porches long before we 'came up' and started going to salons.

SW2011

No, I didn't tell him, I just simply stopped going to him. And there are times when I just want to give him a call, but I feel so bad. :sad: He had been doing my hair since I was in college, and I had gone with him through 4 different hair salons. I used to discuss my boyfriends with him and he used to tell me about his boyfriends too. :lachen: I don't really miss him doing my hair (because his technique was similar to the Dominicans and my hair started to thin), but I do miss his friendship. :sad:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
^^^^^^Aaaaww, that's touching.

I didn't tell her but my sister did. She asked where's Dayjoy? and Sis said-Oh, she's been setting it herself, you know it's hard to get out with the kids and all. Meanwhile Sis has started getting her hair done weekly by me. We do still go for TU's (about every 12-17 weeks) and she'll ask What have you been doing to your hair? No attitude at all:yep: until I tell her NO TRIM then it's :perplexed.