Did Kinky Twists Cause Breakage on your hair

chiprecious

I'm thinking of getting twists installed on my hair and I've heard that the kinky twists cause damage while I haven't heard that for braids.

What was your experience?

How long did you leave them in?

Relaxed or natural?

If you had damage, was it user error :blush: and/or what would you do differently?

TIA!

yup they did, i never had them befor but yes i saw more breakage than when i removed my micros, and i havent put them back in. i am relaxed and i think i kept them in for 4 or 5 weeks

I'm thinking of getting twists installed on my hair and I've heard that the kinky twists cause damage while I haven't heard that for braids.

No problems...

October-December 2008

Relaxed or natural?
Transitioning

TIA!

And don't get them in too
tight. And make sure your
take care of your edges/hairline.

They can both cause damage if not installed and cared for properly, I don't know that one does more than the other. I've had both kinky twists and braids, and I've never had damage with either. I've had them while I was both natural and relaxed. I keep them in for 8-12 weeks. Just make sure you don't get them too tight, and care for them as you would your own hair (washing regularly, dc, moisture) and you should be ok.

Last edited:
Relaxed, left mine in for about 2 months.

Will NEVER wear them again.

Took me over 2 days to take them out and get the knots out. My fingertips and hands were sore and nearly started crying cause it took so long to get them out and i was tired.

Scalp was soo dirty even though i was washing my hair the first month and just using Witch Hazel the second month.

So much knotting that i got frustrated and cut a pieces of my hair out of my head. Stylist did a pretty good job and they werent that tight but my hair just grew around the extension and caused it to knot and make it hard to take out.

I have been wearing kinky twists off and on for over a year and I have not had these problems. (You can see my fotki for pics)

I change out the edges sides and nape every 2 1/2 weeks. I keep the scalp moist or cowash almost daily and will put oil on my scalp and where my hair ends in the twists. I do not do tight twists for two reasons, it is bad for the hair and I am tenderheaded.

You need to care for them properly and you will be rewarded. Make sure you wash the hair you are going to use first in hot water and white vinegar to remove any thing that would irritate your skin or your hair.

When I take them down I will make sure they are wet or moist and my hair has been sprayed with sometype of product, oil or just some conditioner especially where the twist starts and the ends of your hair in the twists. I do NOT want to hear snap, crackle and pop when I take them down. This makes it easier and smoother also.

HTH

Thanks for starting this thread. I have changed my mind on trying this style.:nono:
me too.. actually i changed my mind a few months ago... it seemed like everybody who got twist had to cut off an inch or 2 after removing them

Relaxed or natural?

If you had damage, was it user error :blush: and/or what would you do differently?

TIA!

What was your experience? It was good over all - I did them myself.

How long did you leave them in? 4 to 6 weeks. They were itchy :nono:

Relaxed or natural? Bringing you nappiness since 1998

I did not have any visible damage( or invisible - for that matter...:giggle:
I usually don't have any issues when I braid/twist my own hair. The only different thing that I would do is use different hair. The hair I used was too itchy. I have the perfect hair now - So - no worries :)

I think that braiders have NO clue how to install these type of braid styles. I think that the intense twisting from the root - could be problematic...or - they Have NO CLUE how to twist. I twist my hair all the time - so - I am used to the manner of twisting.

Last edited:
I have been wearing kinky twists off and on for over a year and I have not had these problems. (You can see my fotki for pics)

I change out the edges sides and nape every 2 1/2 weeks. I keep the scalp moist or cowash almost daily and will put oil on my scalp and where my hair ends in the twists. I do not do tight twists for two reasons, it is bad for the hair and I am tenderheaded.

You need to care for them properly and you will be rewarded. Make sure you wash the hair you are going to use first in hot water and white vinegar to remove any thing that would irritate your skin or your hair.

When I take them down I will make sure they are wet or moist and my hair has been sprayed with sometype of product, oil or just some conditioner especially where the twist starts and the ends of your hair in the twists. I do NOT want to hear snap, crackle and pop when I take them down. This makes it easier and smoother also.

HTH

IMO - this is Crucial. I never use hair out of a package.

Nope, didn't have a problem. I self installed them, and kept my sister in them for 6 months straight (we have moved on to box braids and senegalese twists now). No breakage on her end either.

I would suggest braiding them at the roots, since to me it seems like people have more problems when they start them with a twist.

What was your experience? It was good over all - I did them myself.

How long did you leave them in? 4 to 6 weeks. They were itchy :nono:

Relaxed or natural? Bringing you nappiness since 1998

I did not have any visible damage( or invisible - for that matter...:giggle:
I usually don't have any issues when I braid/twist my own hair. The only different thing that I would do is use different hair. The hair I used was too itchy. I have the perfect hair now - So - no worries :)

I think that braiders have NO clue how to install these type of braid styles. I think that the intense twisting from the root - could be problematic...or - they Have NO CLUE how to twist. I twist my hair all the time - so - I am used to the manner of twisting.

What kind of hair do you use now? How do you twist your hair. This was the first time I started my twists with a twist instead of a braid. It cut an hour off of my time. I just used a duck bill clip at my root to make sure my hair wasn't twisting at the root during the process.

But to answer your question OP kinky twists work well with my hair. I usually keep them in for 4-8 weeks but one time I did them back to back with no breaks. That was pushing it for my hair. Synthetic works better for me human hair wanted to become one with mine. I have had twists on transitioning hair and now texlaxed. I love twists!

Yes, they did.

I was natural at the time...I'm relaxed now.

I left them in for one month, but I took them out because I had ONE INCH of new growth. I was so excited, only to be disappointed when I saw that my ends were ravaged.

I don't know why this happened. I have had them several times. I transitioned for one year with them.

I think the problem is that my had is quite long (not LHCF long, but long to get braids). So my hair came almost to the ends of the twist and they dip the hair in hot boiling water.

So if your hair is on the shorter side, I would say go for it. If not, think about it...

Thanks for starting this thread. I have changed my mind on trying this style.:nono:

Me too. I agree. However, the main reason why i didn't get them (which would have been this past weekend), is because I didn't feel like paying $180 for the hair braiders to not only take close to $200 of my money, but also be too tight on my edges, because they don't listen to you. Not to mention, I knew how to do myself; then I attempted to do it (got about 6 twists in), and decided I just didn't feel like it.

Plus, I had already noticed that it would have been to harsh on my hair as I was taking them down. :ohwell:

So, thats my take on the kinky twist. And again, thanks for starting this thread because it further makes me appreciate my decision. :yep:

What was your experience? I've had twists several times, both the kinky twists and the sengalese twists

How long did you leave them in? no longer than 6 weeks. I like change and I do them myself so it's no big loss.

Relaxed or natural? Relaxed

If you had damage, was it user error :blush: and/or what would you do differently? Once I had damage to my edges because I would pull the twists into a tight ponytail. I've learned my lesson lol

Answers are bold

I think any style will cause damage if you....
1. braid/twist too tight
2. style your hair too much
3. wear tight ponytails/styles
4. fail to moisturize properly
5. fail to wash AND condition hair properly

I hear people saying "kinky twist cause damage", but i wonder if they also are guilty of at least one of the above "crimes against hair" :ohwell:.

Just sometimes folks see braids/twists as a "green flag" not to keep up their usual (or any) healthy hair practices :nono:....and i think that is what leads to most of the hair damage stories....JMO:look:

braids, extensions, kinky twists are not to be done on damaged hair. Only healthy, strong hair can take the weight of the extensions. I learned that the hard way.

1. braid/twist too tight

I hear people saying "kinky twist cause damage", but i wonder if they also are guilty of at least one of the above "crimes against hair" :ohwell:.

I would tend to agree with you, but I've heard more bad stories from the kinky twists. Not based on user error (most times) but instead simply the kinky texture of hair they have to used. Because the hair is more textured, it had a tendency to mat or just want to hold onto your own hair therefore creating breakage. I've had the micros twice and my hair was actually better once I took them down.

After reading these posts...I think I'll be in braids (not micros) or cornrows... :yep:

1. braid/twist too tight

Just sometimes folks see braids/twists as a "green flag" not to keep up their usual (or any) healthy hair practices :nono:....and i think that is what leads to most of the hair damage stories....JMO:look:

I was with a friend yesterday who has seen me in my twists and she has been in braids. She loses 2 inches of hair everytime she does braids because of at least 4 of the items noted above.

When she explained this to me yesterday I was like :shocked: :nono:. She only washed her hair every other month and only for the first two weeks did of having the new braids did she use any braid spray otherwise her hair is dry, at all times and the reason she did most of these practices was because she didn't want her braids to look fuzzy.

I then proceeded to tell her how to take care of them and wash them and a friend who had sisterlocks told her the same thing. We could not believe her reason for all those terrible practices was because she did NOT want her braids to look fuzzy for three months.

So guess what, when she comes out of these braids she will be cutting at least 2 inches of dry dead ends based on how her hair normally looks coming out of the braids.

Yes bad breakage and knots..Braids used to be my friend but kinky twists, and micros are a no no!!!I really want to get some individual pinky sized braids but I'm kinda scared...We"ll see

I was with a friend yesterday who has seen me in my twists and she has been in braids. She loses 2 inches of hair everytime she does braids because of at least 4 of the items noted above.

When she explained this to me yesterday I was like :shocked: :nono:. She only washed her hair every other month and only for the first two weeks did of having the new braids did she use any braid spray otherwise her hair is dry, at all times and the reason she did most of these practices was because she didn't want her braids to look fuzzy.

I then proceeded to tell her how to take care of them and wash them and a friend who had sisterlocks told her the same thing. We could not believe her reason for all those terrible practices was because she did NOT want her braids to look fuzzy for three months.

So guess what, when she comes out of these braids she will be cutting at least 2 inches of dry dead ends based on how her hair normally looks coming out of the braids.

Good lord. What a story. Sadly - it is a common story. :sad::nono:

One Book and several websites make this statement
"braids are LOW Maintenence - Not NO Maintenence"

I say those people should just chop hair to 4 inches - then they can do what they want in braids....:look: Yep - I said it.

What kind of hair do you use now? How do you twist your hair. This was the first time I started my twists with a twist instead of a braid. It cut an hour off of my time. I just used a duck bill clip at my root to make sure my hair wasn't twisting at the root during the process.

But to answer your question OP kinky twists work well with my hair. I usually keep them in for 4-8 weeks but one time I did them back to back with no breaks. That was pushing it for my hair. Synthetic works better for me human hair wanted to become one with mine. I have had twists on transitioning hair and now texlaxed. I love twists!

The Hair from Eonhair. Much softer.

http://www.eonhair.com/index.php

Last edited:
Back