Detangling and Deep Conditioning

During which part of your DC routine do you detangle?

• Detangle BEFORE. I also follow up w/ another conditioner

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Detangle BEFORE I DO NOT follow up w/ another conditioner

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • Detangle AFTER. I also follow up w/ another conditioner

Votes: 54 33.1%
  • Detangle AFTER. I DO NOT follow up w/ another conditioner

Votes: 52 31.9%
  • I never deep condition

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

longhairlover

I detangle my hair with a brush detangle it before i shampoo, so i brush my dry hair in the direction that i am going to wash it in ex. sink brush hair up, shower brush hair back.

then shampoo, and condition, when i put the conditioner in my hair i then comb my hair with the cond. in it with a detangling comb rinse....apply leave ins and heat protectant....blow dry.

lollyoo

I am natural ubber thick hair, for me I found that while most true deep conditioners soften they do not offer as much slip for me.
So I either deep condition on dry or post shampooed hair, finger detangle, rinse. Follow with a detangling or instant conditioner that provides lots of slip, then detangle.
And rinse.
HTH

Aggie

I am natural ubber thick hair, for me I found that while most true deep conditioners soften they do not offer as much slip for me.
So I either deep condition on dry or post shampooed hair, finger detangle, rinse. Follow with a detangling or instant conditioner that provides lots of slip, then detangle.
And rinse.
HTH

This makes a lot of sense lollyoo:yep:. I will be needing this little tip for my texlaxed hair detangling sessions.

KhandiB

I detangle while rinsing out my Prepoo - which is always Motions Moisture Plus and detangle again, while rinsing out my rinse out conditioner in the shower...

Jetblackhair

After my poo, I dc for 30 minutes with heat, rinse and then do an ACV rinse. I then detangle my hair and add my leave-in conditioner.

LivingDoll

I:

1) Shampoo and apply DC
2) Let DC sit in my hair for about an hour
3) Rinse out the DC in the shower and....
4) With my Jilbere comb, detangle in the shower while the water is hitting my hair.

This equals less hair loss due to breakage because I have the running water helping me detangle.

I do not apply additional conditioners. My deep conditioner never leaves my hair wanting more.:grin:

This is exactly what I do...even down to the Jilbere...except I add Roux Porosity Control for a minute after I rinse out the DC. It's the last step. :yep:

donewit-it

After I wash, I deep condition then detangle. I can't detangle my hair unless it's saturated with conditioner. If I did that I'd be ripping hair out like crazy.

I don't detangle every time I wash or co-wash my hair. Only when I'm deep conditioning. Lekair Cholesteral and Nacidit Olive something or another works wonders for me.

jaeisjazz

I find it's much easier to handle if I detangle with the DC in my hair and then wash it out and leave it as it is. I'm just asking for breakage if I do anything else...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I DC w/ Heat for about an Hour, Follow Up with Porosity Control (as the final rinse) then apply my Leave in and Detangle. Since Porosity Control helps to close the cuticle after the DC w/Heat, the Leave In Detangles like a charm.

And since I've been using my steamer for DC treatments, I've noticed that the detangling process is smoother as well.

MsEllie

I pre-poo first with castor oil about 15 minutes then I

A.Shampoo and apply DC
B.Let DC sit in my hair for about an hour
C.Rinse out the DC in the shower and....
D.With my Jilbere comb, detangle in the shower while the water is hitting my hair.

This equals less hair loss due to breakage because I have the running water helping me detangle.

Then I add a leave in Conditioner... I tried not using the leave-once and my didn't want to play right so I add it and its nice to me.

Jazzmommy

Since I have a lot of product in my hair because I am wearing a half wig - I gel my hair in the front. Here is how I do it:
1)I first do a prepoo on semi wet hair with detangling conditioner or Amla oil.
2) I then rewet my hair and detangle it with my fingers and shampoo with about 8 plaits using the Crown & Glory Method
3)Next, I deep condition for at least an hour or sit under the dryer for 30 min

MangaManiac

For me, deep conditioning and then detangling after I rinse it out (with another conditioner) works the best. My deep conditioners tend to get soaked up and I need LOADS of creamy conditioner to get slip. That way I don't pull out or break off a lot of hair.

It also means I can use an expensive and good deep conditioner then tons of a cheapie like VO5 moisture milks! ;)

isabella09

I currently detangle prior to my treatments and DC but :scratchch it now seems to make more sense for me to; prepoo with a hot oil treatment, steam DC, ACV rinse, leave-in and then detangle, think I may try this next time.

hothair

I detangle with conditioner in my hair using a shower comb/denman. I read about this method for years but kept ignoring it:perplexed But now I swear by it:yep:

yardgirl

I'm relaxed and I detangle after. While I'm washing out the DC I detangle with a wide-toothed combed and that's pretty much all I need. The only thing I add to my hair after is some Vatika oil to wrap.

my-my

I voted "other" in the poll.
I am natural.
I don't use another conditioner after detangling.
I don't dc all that often, just when I feel the need to. That may be every 3 months or so, it depends. When I do, my routine depends on whether my hair is loose or twisted.
When I wash my hair loose, I detangle before I deep condition because my dc isn't slippery enough for detangling.
When I wash my hair in twists (majority of the time), I detangle after I deep condition because I retwist my hair immediately after detangling.

Last edited:

melodies815

I detangle with conditioner in my hair using a shower comb/denman. I read about this method for years but kept ignoring it:perplexed But now I swear by it:yep:

This is what I do as well, and so far, it's all I have done as a natural. When relaxed, I did not detangle at all. :wallbash: I washed, rarely conditioned and blow fried just about every time until finding LHCF.

Now I detangle with conditioner, again when rinsing with the water pressure and maybe a final and third time when the Porosity Control is still in my hair. I don't lose much hair at all, only shedding hair, and I am very gentle with my hair. By that third detangling, no hairs shed.

Thanks for this post!

Great thread, OP!

cj

Nouvelle

I apply my dc to dry hair, leave on for 15 minutes, rinse out, then detangle. After that I use a quarter size amount of Giovanni Direct. For styling I either leave it as it is, put my hair into two strand twists, or pull back into a puff.