Definition of "Deep Condition"

What is a deep conditioner?

• Any conditioner left on for a long time

Votes: 124 24.0%
  • Any conditioner used with heat

Votes: 144 27.9%
  • A conditioner with home ingredients added, e.g. honey, yogurt, etc.

Votes: 46 8.9%
  • A conditioner specifically formulated for "deep conditioning"

Votes: 331 64.1%
  • Other. Please explain.

Votes: 20 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HoneyDew

For me, it depends on the ingredients.

I know which ingredients are deep conditioning for my hair, and those that I like to exclude from my deep conditioners.

I use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm as my deep conditioner and it is so wonderful. It is not labeled as a deep conditioner at all.

I mean, we all know that product directions and suggested use is not the end all. Look at Emergencee used the same way as Aphogee 2-step. Look at how people can use food items for conditioning. Look at all the products marketed for "white" hair - we use them like crazy.

I think sometimes we put too much in the hands of the manufacturer's of products.

me-T

well, dang. i've been steaming w/ leave ins, so maybe if i get a real dc, it'll be better. Qhemet! Make Me a DC!

Noir

I use Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm as my deep conditioner and it is so wonderful. It is not labeled as a deep conditioner at all.
The regular size 16oz tub doesn't state that it is a DC but the big tub (for $44 at Ulta) states that is is a DC :yep:

HoneyDew

The regular size 16oz tub doesn't state that it is a DC but the big tub (for $44 at Ulta) states that is is a DC :yep:

I did not know that. I think that one is the 37 oz tub. They are the same thing. See. :lol:

So I guess I have been using a "deep" conditioner, after all.

And the fact that one container says deep and the other doesn't, shows exactly what I am talking about. Sometimes we cannot take what tthe directions and claims too seriously on these conditioners - more attention needs to be placed on the ingredients. (just my opinion)

Artemis

^^Exactly. Case in point: Paul Mitchell Super-Charged. The package use to suggest that you leave on for 15 min for deep conditioning, but now it doesn't (in the new packaging). However, it does say to use for weekly treatment. Anyway, it revitalized my hair, period. In hardly no time.

You really need to have an understanding of ingredients and which ones are capable of penetrating your hair for long-term use. My thoughts are that some of you are getting some results from instant conditioners, but if you used an actual dc, you'd see much quicker results :look:

If there was a sticky with just a a database of products under the appropriate categories, it would simple things up so much. Of course under the assumption that not everything works for every body, but a general something to get people started so they are able to determine what's best for themselves.

Sistaslick's articles are really good for this, but not everyone on the board are familiar with her (newbies, etc).

gymfreak336

^^Exactly. Case in point: Paul Mitchell Super-Charged. The package use to suggest that you leave on for 15 min for deep conditioning, but now it doesn't (in the new packaging). However, it does say to use for weekly treatment. Anyway, it revitalized my hair, period. In hardly no time.

You really need to have an understanding of ingredients and which ones are capable of penetrating your hair for long-term use. My thoughts are that some of you are getting some results from instant conditioners, but if you used an actual dc, you'd see much quicker results :look:

If there was a sticky with just a a database of products under the appropriate categories, it would simple things up so much. Of course under the assumption that not everything works for every body, but a general something to get people started so they are able to determine what's best for themselves.

Sistaslick's articles are really good for this, but not everyone on the board are familiar with her (newbies, etc).

Kenra MC did that as did Nexxus Emergencee too. :yep:

Cichelle

Don't stone me but...

I don't believe in deep conditioners. Okay, it's true I don't believe most of the claims manufacturers make about their hair products. But speaking of deep conditioners in particular, I've never derived any benefit from them that was much different than a "regular" conditioner. In some cases, I recall reading the ingredients of some supposed "deep" conditioners that looked suspiciously like the ingredient's of that same brand's "instant" conditioners. (Case in point: One of the conditioners mentioned in the article linked by Pokahontas mentions HE Replenishing Conditioner as a deep conditioner. I believe this is the one that used to be in the pink bottle...not sure they sell it anymore. But I know specifically about this one that the ingredients in it were VERY much like the other HE conditioners out at the time, with what I consider insignificant differences.) With very few exceptions, I have ended up spending a lot of money for sub par results. I'm seriously wondering, at this point, whether the benefits I used to see when I deep conditioned might have been more due to a placebo effect than anything else.

Now, I have derived some benefit from things like henna, honey, yogurt, hot oil and etc. But I don't know if these things are considered "deep conditioners".

Listen, this is just my personal experience with my hair. I haven't tried every deep conditioner out there, so maybe I never got the right one. I don't deep condition at all at this point and haven't for a while now.

SparklingFlame

Don't stone me but...

I don't believe in deep conditioners. Okay, it's true I don't believe most of the claims manufacturers make about their hair products. But speaking of deep conditioners in particular, I've never derived any benefit from them that was much different than a "regular" conditioner. In some cases, I recall reading the ingredients of some supposed "deep" conditioners that looked suspiciously like the ingredient's of that same brand's "instant" conditioners. (Case in point: One of the conditioners mentioned in the article linked by Pokahontas mentions HE Replenishing Conditioner as a deep conditioner. I believe this is the one that used to be in the pink bottle...not sure they sell it anymore. But I know specifically about this one that the ingredients in it were VERY much like the other HE conditioners out at the time, with what I consider insignificant differences.) With very few exceptions, I have ended up spending a lot of money for sub par results. I'm seriously wondering, at this point, whether the benefits I used to see when I deep conditioned might have been more due to a placebo effect than anything else.

Now, I have derived some benefit from things like henna, honey, yogurt, hot oil and etc. But I don't know if these things are considered "deep conditioners".

Listen, this is just my personal experience with my hair. I haven't tried every deep conditioner out there, so maybe I never got the right one. I don't deep condition at all at this point and haven't for a while now.
I kind of agree with you.

Before I knew much about proper haircare I NEVER EVER EVER deep conditioned. NEVER. I cant recall my hair being brittle, hard, or breaking off either.

Artemis

Ingredient lists can be tricky because you don't know how much of whatever ingredient is added to the product. I read somewhere (by Sistaslick) that just because the list is posted on the bottle in a certain order, doesn't mean the ingredients are concentrated in that same order. Look at Kenra MC, the ingredients are so simple...but that is a moisturizing DC that is a HG product for a lot of folks on this board. There are products that simply formulated to last longer on the strands than others, and some that do so even better with heat. Because of this they provide a better benefit. To me, that is what a deep conditioner is. I'm not too worried about it, b/c I've found that ones that work for me, and I ain't switching :look:. But in the end, trial and error for what is and isn't a deep conditioner is subjective (much like 99% of everything out there).

Artemis

I kind of agree with you.

Before I knew much about proper haircare I NEVER EVER EVER deep conditioned. NEVER. I cant recall my hair being brittle, hard, or breaking off either.

Consider yourself lucky! Not everyone is fortunate to have your hair type--and I sincerely mean that, considering all the experimentation you've done with your hair. Your hair is singing "I'm still here!" like Ashanti :lachen:Mine would've been gone :blush:

~CurlyNikki~

I think a DT is any conditioner (or conditioner ingredient combo, with honey, oils, etc.) left on for an extended period of time (30 minutes- overnight) used with or without heat.

However, I believe that heat helps to open the shaft...and if I don't use my micro heat cap, I'll work out to generate some body heat.

lwilliams1922

ok, I'm scratching my head now??

Is Aubreys HSR a (good) DC?

I've never really had the time to DC and now that I'm about to start I want to make sure I use something that can help.

I'm looking for something without cones if anyone has any more suggestions.

thanks!

SparklingFlame

Consider yourself lucky! Not everyone is fortunate to have your hair type--and I sincerely mean that, considering all the experimentation you've done with your hair. Your hair is singing "I'm still here!" like Ashanti :lachen:Mine would've been gone :blush:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Youre right!!

baddison

natural for good
ok, I'm scratching my head now??

Is Aubreys HSR a (good) DC?

I've never really had the time to DC and now that I'm about to start I want to make sure I use something that can help.

I'm looking for something without cones if anyone has any more suggestions.

thanks!

ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!:lachen:

Aubrey Orgaincs Honey Suckle Rose is DA BOM!!!! I add jojoba oil, evcoconut oil, and sweet almond oil. This conditioner is a MUST HAVE. If I DC wit ANYTHING at all, this is it. Even if I plan on using another conditioner, AO-HSR absolutely must be the starting base:yep:....all else gets mixed in. I have found nothing so far that compares to the butter :lick:feeling I get once I rinse out HSR.

But as always....what's "gold" for one, my just be "tarnished brass" for someone else. Give it a try and let us know your experience.

anniev2

so, im wondering....i have some lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol plus on my hair now and i'm not sitting under the dryer. your opinion, am i deep conditioning or not?

Cleve_gryl

so, im wondering....i have some lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol plus on my hair now and i'm not sitting under the dryer. your opinion, am i deep conditioning or not?
I'm doing this right now with AOHSR and coconut oil...I'm going to leave it on overnight. I'm excited at how wonderful my hair will be in the morning :yep:

GoldenBreeze

I voted "A conditioner specifically formulated for "deep conditioning", and for me that means that the directions state, to use at least 15 mins with or w/o heat. My hair seems to get the most benefit from these types of conditioners.

Jaxhair

I also voted, 'A conditioner specifically formulated for "deep conditioning'' '. My understanding is purely simple. Moisture or protein. I almost always make my own, so my protein DC will have an egg in it, or it'll be henna. I always follow up with a moisture DC which almost always has coconut milk/oil, honey, etc.

Great thread - I'll go look for the PS version and learn a thing or two...

ThePerfectScore

isn't it the particle size i.e. the molecules size of the ingredients. Idk but when I researched I just heard if the bottle says leave on for 5 mins or more its a DC... I use Queen Helene Cholesterol with heat and it says 30 mins or so with a cap and heat....

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I agree as well. A Deep Conditioner is a product especially formulated in some way to penetrate the Hair Shaft and most of the time is recommended to use with "Heat" I have found the AO Products as well as Jason's, Alter Ego, Banana Brulee (and others) can all be used as a Deep Penetrating Conditioner. IMO, an Instant Conditioner and/or Oil left on hours or overnight, will give you the same benefits as one designed for deep penetration with heat.

1Aleeesha

This is a nice thread I'm too sleepy to "study it" tonight though... Somehow or another I "Just Know" which are deep conditioners and which are not. I really don't know the book smarts behind it as to how I know... I just do. If I'm trying a new deep conditioner I can just skim the label and decide on if I think it's a deep conditioner or not. I'll name a few Deep conditioners for now...

Queen Helene's Cholesterol...Ex, If I left this on for less than an hour without heat it would penetrate nothing... But when I leave it on overnight it softens my hair while it's still in it... And it's my favorite. If going under the dryer with it naturally it would take less time... The results for me are the same when I leave a deep conditioner in over night as they would be when under the dryer for 20 mins or so... Stands the same for the Deep conditioners below...

So...Any Cholesterol conditioner... Ex. Lustrasilk With Olive oil

Any Mayonaise Conditioner... Ex. Vitale Hair Mayo...
Even if you have to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. With some you do some you don't because they act as a Protein and Moisturizing combo... Just depends on the brand with that one

Any Reconstructor...
Ex. Joico K-Pak Reconstructor...Even if you have to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. With some you do some you don't because they act as a Protein and Moisturizing combo... Just depends on the brand with that one...

Other examples:

Motions CPR (Critical Protection & Repair)
Wella In-Depth Deep Treatment
Silk Elements Mega Silk Olive Moisturizing Treatment
Profective Mega growth Deep Strengthening
Ion Moisturizing Treatment
Smooth N Shine Critical Treatment X-Treme Repair

Most of these can be found at Sally's... Without my knowing the book smarts behind it...I can say what they all have in common...

They mention common "fix-it" words as I will call them Ex. Treatment, Protection, Repair, Streghtening

They are all thick... And if not thick, they are not "Runny"