Curlygirl Challenge

This is great. I might have to do an annual check in though - my shrinkage is serious. So I'd really love SL unstretched, and anything more than that is a plus! I'll post my starting pic when I get home.

Thanks Lucia.
I dunno, maybe I will re-join at some point in the future...
It's just like my hair is saying to me "now listen here, there's no way I'm going to get passed shoulder length... deal with it... muhhahahahahaaaaaa!"

I hate wearing my hair down now, it's a horrible shape because of the 'trim'/breakage/erratic shrinkage. I would be willing to get one more cut 'for the cause' if it was guaranteed to be a good one, but that's so very unlikely... *sigh* :sad:

Anyway... looking forward to seeing everyone else's updates...

just bun it and wear nice hairsticks barrets in it while it grows out trimms little by little. get a sponge donut they make great buns even if your hairs not long enough. hth

Joining. I'll post a wet hair pic a little later. My short term goal is APL unstretched, curly hair. I say short term, but who knows how long that will take.

Oooo, I love the sound of this. My hair in the back is neck-length unstretched, and in the front, it... well, just sticks up when unstretched.

My short short term goal is for my hair in the front to hang (*tears*, no more 'fro).
My short term goal is full shoulder length unstretched
My long term goal is APL or BSL unstretched.
My absolutely, possibly impossible goal is WSL unstretched.

Ur, just checked the date (I really should do that more often) and saw this was an old post. Are you still accepting members? How come this doesn't get bumped more often? :(

Hi Lucia!
Count me in. I'll post my pic's when I take my braided extensions out.
Current length: chin to lower neck unstretched.
Short term goal: even shoulder length unstretched.
Long term goal: even bra strap length unstretched.

Iris here

answering the call to duty! :lachen:

hey lucia! I am going to be working on mastering the 'braid out' this year once and for all I am going to get that sucka down! big hair , massive swelling tangling hair or not!

so sick of the ponytail

I would like to be waist unstretched, ahhhh to dream!

oh and by the way

I'm like bsl with product unstretched

and to my shoulder w/big massive hair with no product

I dont think thats going to change much :look:

sigh

I've officially given up on this now. Sorry!

Reasons:
1) Due to some medication in '07, I lost of a lot of hair, and now that it's thinner, there is less weight to weigh it down, so looks shorter.
2) After that, I stopped caring about my hair and got a lot of breakage because of the bleaching and never deep conditioning.
3) Had a horrible 'trim' last summer :lol:
4) My hair seems to had morphed from 'mostly 3b with some 3c' to 'mostly 'mostly 3c with some 3b' so has even more shrinkage now and looks even shorter than when I started.

Sorry to hear that RainbowCurls. Your hair website was one of the first ones I visited when I was looking for inspiration back in 2007. Did you stop bleaching your hair? I hope so.

I'd love to join because I feel a bit frustrated in the curly area. My hair is growing, but my curls dry in a mullet. Here are my stats:

Short Term Goal: APL Curly Hair
Long Term Goal: BSL Curly Hair

Lately I have more waves than curls and the looser texture is due to the growth. I'd love to get rid of this mullet tho LOL to do that I'd have to cut it but I refuse. My rollerset hair looks just fine.

Joyandfaith, and Iris thanks for joining up and answering the guru call, :lol:
BostonMaria that PJ siggy is hilarious who is that?

Rosie I just posted on the 2/10 and YES this challenge is still ongoing.
UPDATE: I'm using a closure unit now, and my hair's braided underneath, I'm doing my own personal hide my hair until spring/summer 09, so I'll update in the spring/summer 09,and hope to be BSL or just touching BSL natural in the back. MY ultimate goal is full BSL and beyond natural.

Last edited:
oh and by the way

I'm like bsl with product unstretched

and to my shoulder w/big massive hair with no product

I dont think thats going to change much :look:

sigh

Hey Miss BIG hair I don't see a problem, you have 2 culry looks right there, shoulder big and wild, BSL with product stylized.

I need to try to understand this challenge. My hair grows out not down. When I stretch my hair it's collar bone length. It will take me 3 years to reach shoulder length unstretched....:scratchch Then that will be BSL stretched.

This is going to be a looooooooooooooooooooong challenge for me if so, and I'm down. I got nothing but time :lol:

I need to try to understand this challenge. My hair grows out not down. When I stretch my hair it's collar bone length. It will take me 3 years to reach shoulder length unstretched....:scratchch Then that will be BSL stretched.

This is going to be a looooooooooooooooooooong challenge for me if so, and I'm down. I got nothing but time :lol:

OH yeah you can set a short goal, since it's harder to see length before a certain point a on curly hair. Then it won't seem so far away.

Welcome new members, please post your start point, or link to fotki

hat1grrl
laurence
boston maria
Eclass215
thaidreams
lilsparkle825
NappturalWomyn
shortdub78
Irresistable
Joyand Faith
AtlantaJJ

I would love to join too. I'm currently EL unstretched, my goal is to be APL or MBL length. I'm giving myself PLENTY of time to do it, probably a full 5 years!

Welcome :)
loves harmony
ronnieaj
post your fotki or album link, or post a small pic of you start point. and like I said it's pretty much what short long term goals you set for yourself that's all, ou update when you can, or when you feel you've made some progress.

I've officially given up on this now. Sorry!

Reasons:
1) Due to some medication in '07, I lost of a lot of hair, and now that it's thinner, there is less weight to weigh it down, so looks shorter.
2) After that, I stopped caring about my hair and got a lot of breakage because of the bleaching and never deep conditioning.
3) Had a horrible 'trim' last summer :lol:
4) My hair seems to had morphed from 'mostly 3b with some 3c' to 'mostly 'mostly 3c with some 3b' so has even more shrinkage now and looks even shorter than when I started.

Ok, I'm rejoining!

I saw this thread in my subscriptions as was wondering whether to post again as I don't want to discourage anyone.
but...

April 2007:
0704_01_back.jpg

September 2007:
0709_12_backmeasurement.jpg

July 2009
0907_11_backmeasurement.jpg

[size=+1]IT'S JUST GETTING WIDER!![/size]

Although, I did have my 'trim' (cut) last year to contend with. I didn't take any specific 'hair photos' for a long time after that...

0907_haircut.jpg

^the cut

Ok, I'm rejoining!

I saw this thread in my subscriptions as was wondering whether to post again as I don't want to discourage anyone.
but...

April 2007:
0704_01_back.jpg

September 2007:
0709_12_backmeasurement.jpg

July 2009
0907_11_backmeasurement.jpg

[size=+1]IT'S JUST GETTING WIDER!![/size]

Although, I did have my 'trim' (cut) last year to contend with. I didn't take any specific 'hair photos' for a long time after that...

0907_haircut.jpg

^the cut

Hey there,
glad to see you're back, maybe we should take width measurments too :lol: most of our hair grows bigger for the longest then sometimes longer. I do see more hair in your update pic, I can see more length comparing the cut pic to the new pic, it's growing alot if you got that much curly length to show in 1 year or less. WOW be proud of that, I think the longer you hair gets the less it will shrink, maybe you should S&D more if you need it and cut less JMO

Last edited:
Updates Sept 2009
So I think I've reached APL curly, that's my short goal, my next is BSL curly.
I took some curly pics and put them in my fotki Sept 2009 BKT album, I don't know if you'll see the diff from the last pics to these pics but I couldn't believe it, but my hair is thicker, it felt thicker, looked thicker, and hangs down a little more, must be the weight of all that hair. I'm having no detangling issues which is great and what I was afraid of when trying for longer curly lengths. Oh and check out my hairinspiration thread
LOVE.THAT.HAIR!

Congrats on your progress Lucia!

I can't wait til I get to APL curly, it seems easier from then on (from looking at other people's pictures anyway...)
Shoulder length is an awkward length for me.
Yeah, just S&D for me now. Well, barely that. I'm never getting a trim again :lol:

Since my minor set back last year with the BKT I trimmed back to MBL and now I'm grazing WL straight. But unfortunately I have tons of shrinkage and it's grazing SL curly.

Lucia, great thread. I'll join.

Here's my hair last year August 2009, 3 months after getting the last 2-3 inches of relaxed ends cut off: My hair was about waist length stretched:

DSC00604-vi.jpg

^^^^My shrinkage was APL to bra stap length back then. This picture is of dry 2.5 day hair with Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner as a leave in (I no longer use this conditioner because the ingredients have been changed plus I'm cone free now).

Here's from the 4th of July 2010:
DSC01671-vi.jpg

^^^^This is 3rd day hair with Giovanni conditioner as a leave in. My hair is pants pockets length now but still shrinks to about waist to hip length.

I'd love to have butt length curly hair with shrinkage but I'd have to be about knee length for that to happen, lol!

Great thread!

My goal is hip length curly. It's gonna be awhile, but hey, all I got is time :yep:

I'll have to add a pic soon.

Does this include stretched curly hair (e.g. braidouts, twistouts)? OR full on shrinkage? I don't think I'll ever get anything past apl with shrinkage

ETA: NEvermind reading is fundamental eh? Well my dreams are crushed lol I'll never be in this challenge. I'm 1 inch above waistlength or there with only 5 inches of ng and my shrunken hair is apl.:sad: I would probably need knee length hair to reach bsl curly:lol:

Last edited:
I'm in... I'll let my hair dry outside of twists tomorrow when I wash, haven't seen my hair unstretched in a year or more lol so it'll be a treat. I'll take pics but post them after hyh
My goal... since there's no ending time I'd love to have full shoulder length unstretched

Back