Crown and Glory...

HI All,

Well, I took the individuals out on Friday night. Sunday evening I replaced theme with cornrows. I'm proud of these because this was the last technique I had not mastered.

I started out GENTLY cornbraiding my hair in the front and then added kinky twist synthetic hair about a third of the way down. I put about three or four rows of kinky twists individuals in the back. I also two strand twisted the ends of the hair that had been cornrowed in.

I pulled all the twists into a side bun and finished with a simple accessory.

Ever heard the saying, "Kids can be cruel"? Needless to say their brutal honesty is legendary. My 8th grade girls had nothing but compliments so I know my handiwork came out well. I think I'm going to replace the cornrows every two - 3 weeks as opposed to the individual braids. I love the ease with which I can oil my scalp. I'm gonna rinse shampoo through my hair this weekend. The only other possibility is kinky twist extensions. They just fit more with my texture.

It was nice to have my hair loose this weekend. I was loving my fro and even considered leaving it loose. After a day and a night I noticed my habit of really pulling and fiddling with my fro. Also, I could see that I was gonna slip into spending a lot of time on it.

So Crown and Glory it is for a while longer. I'm trying to get a pic album together. I'll post a new thread if I do.

p1

Neroli said:
I think anytime braids or twists are washed, there will be some frizzies. I always set aside time redo loose frizzy braids after each wash. I have found that the stocking cap doesn't really help me prevent frizzies during wash, just makes the the whole process more difficult without geting my scalp clean - so I just apply 'poo (or condish if CWing) directly to my dry scalp, massage good and then get under the shower to rinse. Then I spray moisturizer and redo loose or frizzy braids.

How was the "dry 'poo"? Did it get your scalp/hair clean?

The dry poo is OK didn't get my scalp that clean...plus I was feenin for some water and conditioner on my scalp so I gave in. I didn't use a stocking either, just did a cw and they came out fine, no frizzies yet and my hair is soft!

Hi,
I'd like to try this challenge...maybe.
I'll have to learn more about the regimine and all...especially with most importantly (moisturizing daily).
Can anyone tell me if daily washing is a good idea for this technique?
I'll have to get used to braids I guess if I do this.:ohwell:

I rebraided on the 27th (Jan) and I did such a good job. My friend was like you are becoming a professional! :D I have been on a super MTG challenge and let me just say that after 1 week, my braids are sliding down from the starting point already, can you imagine 4-5 weeks from now? I am really excited and Patient 1 got me thinking about putting a few cornrows in next time. I am scared to do that for one reason alone...parting. You can kind of slip with individuals, but when your cornrows are parted wacky, it throws the whole style off. So any tips on parting for cornrows, maybe letting someone else part? & can I use the yaki pony hair with cornrows? TIA...HHG

Hi highpreistess, the website is www.growafrohairlong.com It gives you all the info about how to wash and condition and moisturize your hair whiel in braids. Ladies Im so happy we are all havign success.

Is there anyone needing help with anything?

*I need someone to come hide my scissors....*

beyondcute said:
Hi highpreistess, the website is www.growafrohairlong.com It gives you all the info about how to wash and condition and moisturize your hair whiel in braids. Ladies Im so happy we are all havign success.

Is there anyone needing help with anything?

*I need someone to come hide my scissors....*
Thanks. I will take a look there.:)

OK, I know I am a little late for this thread but count me in the C&G method. My version is a little remixed though.

As u can see I got braids in my avatar.. I got my braids put in on Jan 2. I plan on leaving the braids in until June. In March Im going to get the front re-braided. I plan to follow this for 1 year if I like the progress I will follow the C&G method to the tee in 2007, as for now 1 year at a time.

In June I plan on taking out my braids and wearing my hair out for a week, than get a relaxer cause I know for a fact its going to be "to nappy to be true" because my last relaxer was in Oct 15, 05.. so thats 8 mths about 32week post relaxer. Than plan on getting a sew in weave for 8wks so my edges can grow back to par w/ the rest of my hair; because for me braids cause stress on my edges....

angellazette said:
The dry poo is OK didn't get my scalp that clean...plus I was feenin for some water and conditioner on my scalp so I gave in. I didn't use a stocking either, just did a cw and they came out fine, no frizzies yet and my hair is soft!

Interesting that you rate it OK, which suggests that it did clean somewhat. Never been tempted to use dry poo 'cause can't figure out how it will remove build and clean -- I was a once a week washer long before LHCF and have always love that feeling that comes with freshly washed hair -- probably psychological for me, but gotta have water to feel clean, not to mention the moisturizing benefits . . .

Great to know you CW didn't cause frizzies and glad that so many ladies discovering wearing braids/twists doesn't mean giving up regular freshly washed hair . . . aahhhh, can't wait til my next poo in a few days . . .

Fist I want to say hi to everyone because this is my first time posting. Now I'm very excited about the Crown & Glory Challenge. My hair has been braided since Dec. 15 but I've rebraided my temples and the back. Even though my hair was braided allready, I officially started the Crown & Glory Method Jan. 1, 2006. Below is my regimine until Jan. 1, 2008.

Wear braids for 2 months at a time for the next two years.

Braids In Regimne:
Wash, aphogee, conditon before braids are put in

Take daily vitamins

Moisterize with braid spray twice a day

MTG before bed

Every two weeks rebraid temples and back, wash, condition, and re-dip braids

Braids Out Regimne
Wash, aphogee, and conditon as soon as the braids are taken out

Hair is worn in protective styles for two weeks at a time

Take daily vitamins

Moisterize twice a day

MTG before bed

Every two weeks wash, deep condition, and condition

Aphogee once a month

I will straiten my hair every 4 months to see my progress.

Thanks and good luck to you all :)

thenappygirl17 said:
Fist I want to say hi to everyone because this is my first time posting. Now I'm very excited about the Crown & Glory Challenge. My hair has been braided since Dec. 15 but I've rebraided my temples and the back. Even though my hair was braided allready, I officially started the Crown & Glory Method Jan. 1, 2006. Below is my regimine until Jan. 1, 2008.

Wear braids for 2 months at a time for the next two years.

Braids In Regimne:
Wash, aphogee, conditon before braids are put in

Take daily vitamins

Moisterize with braid spray twice a day

MTG before bed

Every two weeks rebraid temples and back, wash, condition, and re-dip braids

Braids Out Regimne
Wash, aphogee, and conditon as soon as the braids are taken out

Hair is worn in protective styles for two weeks at a time

Take daily vitamins

Moisterize twice a day

MTG before bed

Every two weeks wash, deep condition, and condition

Aphogee once a month

I will straiten my hair every 4 months to see my progress.

Thanks and good luck to you all :)

Welcome!! Your regime sounds really good and looks like you're already off to an excellent start . . . .

beyondcute said:
This sounds GREAT! I cant wait to see the progress :)
You're so cool! :)
I've decided to join the challenge. Sticking to it is key though. :lol:
Oh! Where's the blonde ends? They were so cute.

Last edited:
High Priestess said:
You're so cool! :)
I've decided to join the challenge. Sticking to it is key though. :lol:
Oh! Where's the blonde ends? They were so cute.

Trust me they are still there. Depending on the lighting they can look very dark but thats the same with anything :lol: Slowly but surely Im cutting them off. I know what you mena by stickign to it. But everytime Im tempted to do soemthign different I just go to her website and THERE is the motivation.

beyondcute said:
Anyone wanna join me? Im gonna do a crown and glory challenge for *hold your breath* 2 years. The site owner for crown and glory made it to waist length from shoulder length in 2 years with braids. Braids have always helped my hair to grow but this time Im gonna use her whole technique. Her vidoes have really helped me as far as breakage from braids. So any one wanna join me? *BTW I did a search and didnt see any other CAG challenges but if there are any just point the way :)* My goal is waist/mid back length by January 2008. Here's the website for all those that dont know what Im talking about :)

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/

You can use any protective style whiel your hair is out and briads/weaves when your hair is supposed to be up.

Count me in!;) That's incredible growth Robin has on that link.

Neroli said:
Interesting that you rate it OK, which suggests that it did clean somewhat. Never been tempted to use dry poo 'cause can't figure out how it will remove build and clean -- I was a once a week washer long before LHCF and have always love that feeling that comes with freshly washed hair -- probably psychological for me, but gotta have water to feel clean, not to mention the moisturizing benefits . . .

Great to know you CW didn't cause frizzies and glad that so many ladies discovering wearing braids/twists doesn't mean giving up regular freshly washed hair . . . aahhhh, can't wait til my next poo in a few days . . .

If I was in a jam or something and needed to use it maybe...two weeks in a row then it would probably be just fine but I wouldn't use it for long periods.

Hi All,

I need some feedback. I was imming with a friend telling her about my new "planned" regimen.

~Take out cornrows on Fridays.
~Administer New Era Reconstructor.
~Administer New Era Moisturizing Deep conditioner.
~Wear a loose fro on Saturdays.
~Rebraid on Sundays.

~Spritz and oil daily.

~~~~~~~~~~`

My friend cautioned me to be careful of my edges. I think this might be a good point to consider. I'm using kinky extension hair and only adding it in about halfway down the length of the cornrow. I'm also braiding very gently in the more vulnerable areas.

Could the weekly braiding alone be too much stress? I feel like I was braiding my edges on a regular basis while I was in individuals though.

I'd stretch to biweekly if I could. Also, I tried deep conditioning with the braids in but it just didnt work out very well.

My plan would be a very modified c & g, but it would alleviate my need to get hands on with my own hair AND allow me to do deep treatments.

Feedback? Neroli, where you at??? LOL!

p1

patient1 said:
Hi All,

I need some feedback. I was imming with a friend telling her about my new "planned" regimen.

~Take out cornrows on Fridays.
~Administer New Era Reconstructor.
~Administer New Era Moisturizing Deep conditioner.
~Wear a loose fro on Saturdays.
~Rebraid on Sundays.

~Spritz and oil daily.

~~~~~~~~~~`

My friend cautioned me to be careful of my edges. I think this might be a good point to consider. I'm using kinky extension hair and only adding it in about halfway down the length of the cornrow. I'm also braiding very gently in the more vulnerable areas.

Could the weekly braiding alone be too much stress? I feel like I was braiding my edges on a regular basis while I was in individuals though.

I'd stretch to biweekly if I could. Also, I tried deep conditioning with the braids in but it just didnt work out very well.

My plan would be a very modified c & g, but it would alleviate my need to get hands on with my own hair AND allow me to do deep treatments.

Feedback? Neroli, where you at??? LOL!

p1

LOL! Here I am . . .

Well, I don't have any experience with twists, so I can't really advise with certainty. However, gently rebraiding sensitive areas every week should be most beneficial, IMO.

Regarding deep condish with braids, girl, I don't even bother 'cause more trouble than its worth and not really needed since hair is in a super protective style. I try to minimize rinsing as much as possible when I wash braids, that's why I use CON or some other super conditioning 'poo so that I only subject braids to one good thorough rinse. Multiple rinsing causes braids to become ragged and frizzed more than necessary so I try to find a 'poo that will provide conditioning benefits as well - IMO, CON is the ish for braids!

I "condition" my braids with leave-ins (proteins, moisturzers, oils). Right now using aphogee keratin & green tea restructurizer spray for protein, lustrasilk right on curl activator for moisture and various oils of choice (I got so many, like the rest of yall!!).

I 'clarify' braids every 3 or 4 wash by using ACV -- I 'poo and rinse thoroughly as usual and squeeze excess water out of braids, while still in shower, pour ACV over hair until saturated, then quick rinse under shower. I towel dry as usual and immediately follow the ACV with protein spray, then moisture, then oils -- now I'm ready to rebraid my perimeter. If i'm lazy, I put in a wet bun until next day or until I'm ready to redo . . .

HTH!

Thanks for the feedback Neroli.

I'm gonna try this modified regimen and see what happens. I just took the extension hair out. The front is still cornrowed because it was my own hair (I just added the kinky hair extensions to the back. Tomorrow I'll take it all out deep condition. You're right, dcing with braids in was trouble to say the least.

I like your idea of using a conditioning shampoo as well. When I allow myself to buy another product I'm going to look into the Aphogee spray.

I'm gonna braid my hair in another direction on Sunday so that I"m not stressing my hairline in the same exact spot. When I get a bit more growth I might put in another set of individual kinky twists. Twists slide out a bit easier than the braid extensions. My friend has a GORGEOUS set of twist extensions using zig zag human hair. Her stylist is amazing, but "amazing" costs!! LOL. I'm gonna have to stick to my homegrown styling for now.

keep the updates going,
p1

:lol: I'm a newbie and i also would like to be apart of the crown and glory
challenge. I did the big chop back in novenber 2005.
I had about 1inch of hair after the chop.
Now i have 3inch, i will be starting a album and sharing my photos soon
like in a day or 2.:p

Hi Ladies! I'm getting braids tomorrow. I used to get braids regularly, but my future plans are kind of uncertain right now. So, I can't commit to two years of C&G, but I will try to get braids regularly and take care of them properly! (I was once one of the many sisters that didn't wash braids) I do have one question: Do you deep condition with braids? I'm currenly addicted to my replenishing paks and may go through withdrawal without them, but I don't want too much build-up.

Opal1821 said:
Hi Ladies! I'm getting braids tomorrow. I used to get braids regularly, but my future plans are kind of uncertain right now. So, I can't commit to two years of C&G, but I will try to get braids regularly and take care of them properly! (I was once one of the many sisters that didn't wash braids) I do have one question: Do you deep condition with braids? I'm currenly addicted to my replenishing paks and may go through withdrawal without them, but I don't want too much build-up.

Welcome and soooo glad you will be washing your braids this time around -- your hair will thank you! Regarding deep condishing braids, I don't because impossible to rinse out and the build-up is awful. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use CON or a conditioning 'poo so only subject braids to ONE good rinsing each wash and I "condition" braids with leave-in sprays (lustrasilk curl activator moisturizer, aphogee keratin & green tea reconstructor) and various oils. I remove buildup every 3 or 4 wash by using an ACV rinse after 'poo. HTH!

Hi All:

I plaited my own hair into tiny little braids (slightly twisted on the ends) Thursday evening. Between today and yesterday evening I added kinky twist hair to each of those individual braids. I kind of figure that with it being pre-braided, my own hair would have a little added reinforcement. I'm gonna keep these in a.l.a.p. and then go from there. I trimmed a few centimeters off the tip of each braid prior to adding the extensions. When your hair is as short as mine, that little bit of trimming makes a big difference. I basically cut off most of the colored tips. I'm trying hard to resist the color monkey on my back.

Just checking in,
p1

I don't have a digicam but I do have a pic phone. I always have a problem emailing them to myself. OR once I email them to myself I can't figure out how to get them onto lhcf. I have an empty fotki album or two.

I took some pics and if I can figure out how to get this all done without a HUGE investment of my time I will.

To answer your question, they look pretty much the same. The difference is that these are smaller and more abundant. There are a LOT of twists on my head. It looks pretty wild but I like it.

Tomorrow I'm attending the NAACP Theatre Awards (I was nominated as a playwright) and I'm praying these twists stay put for the evening. They keep dropping out like crazy. I think my hair is a bit overmoisturized and slick.

p1

patient1 said:
I don't have a digicam but I do have a pic phone. I always have a problem emailing them to myself. OR once I email them to myself I can't figure out how to get them onto lhcf. I have an empty fotki album or two.

I took some pics and if I can figure out how to get this all done without a HUGE investment of my time I will.

To answer your question, they look pretty much the same. The difference is that these are smaller and more abundant. There are a LOT of twists on my head. It looks pretty wild but I like it.

Tomorrow I'm attending the NAACP Theatre Awards (I was nominated as a playwright) and I'm praying these twists stay put for the evening. They keep dropping out like crazy. I think my hair is a bit overmoisturized and slick.

p1

OK, I'm a newbie and have been lurking for a few months now, but this post made me FINALLY break down and pay that $5 subscription fee. I'm also joining the CAG challenge, but P1......you're being nominated as a playwright by the NAACP???:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: WOW!!! Well, since you posted this a few days ago, I guess you've already attended the award show, but I'm also a playwright and just wanted to congratulate you. I think I'll send you a PM as well!!!!:) Keep up the good work!

-Poetist

I didn't attend the award ceremony . . .My twists and I stayed right at home. I did get some pics together for ya angellezette. They don't do the thickness of my twists justice but ohhh well.

As for the ceremony, I couldn't find anything that I liked AND could afford to wear. And just when I was considering shelling out too much for a dress, I realized that this was how folks get caught up. . ..breaking the bank to try to impress for a SOLITARY night. PLUS, (TMI WARNING) I've been having a bout of frequent urination. . .reallllllllll frequent. I got a little paranoid. I had visions of me stepping on toes over and over as I ran to the bathroom all evening. That coupled with the lack of proper attire led me to stay home.

We didn't win (the playwrights, actresses, or set designer) but it was still cool to be nominated and I just wanted to go in order to see the folks who were nominated NATIONALLY (we were Los Angeles nominees) and to enjoy the pre-show reception. I ain't trippin and my wallet (and bladder) thanks me.

Your 5 bucks is still well spent Poetist. Loads of good information here. Just don't let yourself procrastinate too much. Get back to your writing!!!

p1

Last edited by a moderator:
Im braided up again and hoping to keep mines in a.l.a.p. I got pixies this time (layered individual braids shaped as a wrap, pics will e in my fotki by Friday :) ) Lets Grow ladies! :) I think everyone shoudl have NO problems growing onthis challeneg. As for the deep conditioning I do deep condition but when I shampoo and condition I do not agitate the braids. I use watered down shampoo and conditioner in a squirt bottle. I saturate and then rinse.

Here is set #2 of my twists--added a little color this time :) I hope to keep these in for about 6 weeks. HHG Ladies!

100_0381-vi.jpg

Back