Could this brillo pad be scab hair?! Ticker help too?!

brianna-alyssa

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you all could tell me a bit about scab hair:look:. I searched it but, i'm still not quite grasping it. Also, how do I get a ticker going to document how long it's been since i've had a relaxer:ohwell:? That thing on tickerfactory is way confusing lol. Oh and thanks to the Big Bodacious Hair Pics thread for helping me with my decision to go natural! I LOOVVVEEE :lick:that thread :), some gorgeous hair in there. TIA for the help.

BostonMaria

LOL@Brillo pad

I really don't know if I believe scab hair is real or not. I think you should let it grow and decide for yourself if you need to cut off an inch of new growth. I think that if the new growth looks alot different from the ends then you'll know its scab hair.

brianna-alyssa

LOL@Brillo pad

I really don't know if I believe scab hair is real or not. I think you should let it grow and decide for yourself if you need to cut off an inch of new growth. I think that if the new growth looks alot different from the ends then you'll know its scab hair.

Thanks a bunch! When i went on a 6 month stretch previous to deciding to transition my new growth was very dry even though i co washed 2 times a week, deep conditioned every week, & moisturized twice a day. I was like what the heck?! If this is my natural texture, i'll take the relaxed option please haha. But i'll probably take your advice as more new growth comes in, thanks again :grin:.

brianna-alyssa

Oh, and btw you hair is awesssoomeee. As a lurker, i would always find your post helpful and kind. Great to actually "speak" with you.

virtuenow

I don't know If I believe in this so called "scab" hair. It might just be the texture of your hair. I cut off hard hair for months after I went natural. That is, until a stylist told me it was probably just my texture- and that some people have a harder, stronger texture of hair. I stpped the cutting at that point. I never heard of the term scab hair until recently (eventhough I have been on here forever!). I would just let it grow, condition and moisturize and let it "do what it do" as they say.

NerdSauce

Ok. I don't necessarily believe that people are likely to grow a FULL HEAD of scab hair. After my last relaxer for the most part my new growth felt great-- like healthy hair.

That being said for several months after my last relaxer (seeeeeeeeeeveral months) my front edges would always grow in really weird and, no matter how I pampered them, break off. At first i thought I just had a totally different texture there and I'd just have to learn how to care for it, except as time goes by they've finally started to get longer, and they feel really really different to how they felt those first months.

This was only a small surprise because I knew I had had some fairly bad scalp damage along my edges. My aunt relaxed my hair once and some of that hair didn't grow back for about a year :nono:

I definitely agree with the poster above though. I wouldn't start cutting or anything, because it could certainly just be your hair (and as an overall fine haired natural, coarse hair--especially if its consistently coarse unlike this random business I have on my head--can certainly be a gift.)

brianna-alyssa

I don't know If I believe in this so called "scab" hair. It might just be the texture of your hair. I cut off hard hair for months after I went natural. That is, until a stylist told me it was probably just my texture- and that some people have a harder, stronger texture of hair. I stpped the cutting at that point. I never heard of the term scab hair until recently (eventhough I have been on here forever!). I would just let it grow, condition and moisturize and let it "do what it do" as they say.

Thanks! Sounds like good advice. I wonder about it being scab hair because my mom says before she relaxed my hair, at age 9, it was soft, manageable, & the curls were pencil sized. The new growth coming in after the 6 month stretch was, dry, hard to comb through, really coarse, & it seemed to have NO curl to it ): I understand hormones change hair texture, but come on, such a drastic change ): I will wait and see though. Also can I get some help on this time ticker countdown thingy lol? I love your avatar btw!

mscocoface

Let go of all the assumptions and just let it grow and deal with it when it is time to handle the natural texture.

I would advise reading up on those who are transitioning just to see if there are some tips and tricks that will help you with your transition.

Congratulations on going natural.

Try this website to see if its ticker is easier for you to use.

www.tickercentral.com

Happy Hair Growing. :yep:

brianna-alyssa

Ok. I don't necessarily believe that people are likely to grow a FULL HEAD of scab hair. After my last relaxer for the most part my new growth felt great-- like healthy hair.

That being said for several months after my last relaxer (seeeeeeeeeeveral months) my front edges would always grow in really weird and, no matter how I pampered them, break off. At first i thought I just had a totally different texture there and I'd just have to learn how to care for it, except as time goes by they've finally started to get longer, and they feel really really different to how they felt those first months.

This was only a small surprise because I knew I had had some fairly bad scalp damage along my edges. My aunt relaxed my hair once and some of that hair didn't grow back for about a year :nono:

I definitely agree with the poster above though. I wouldn't start cutting or anything, because it could certainly just be your hair (and as an overall fine haired natural, coarse hair--especially if its consistently coarse unlike this random business I have on my head--can certainly be a gift.)

Thanks for the personal story :) . In my case, I've never had any major scalp problems such as dandruff, bumps, balding, or thinning from stress. Just occasional dryness that was cured with oil. So I have no other choice but to think maybe all my moisturizing efforts weren't getting to my new growth like I thought or that it was scab hair. From what I understand about the scab hair thing, it seems sort of logical. Either way, I can't wait to have a head full of natural hair like when I was younger. I'll care for it & be proud of it all the same :) glad to hear your edges are doing better. You should see some of the girls at my high school...haha tisk tisk poor bald headed girls.

brianna-alyssa

Let go of all the assumptions and just let it grow and deal with it when it is time to handle the natural texture.

I would advise reading up on those who are transitioning just to see if there are some tips and tricks that will help you with your transition.

Congratulations on going natural.

Try this website to see if its ticker is easier for you to use.

www.tickercentral.com

Happy Hair Growing. :yep:

Heeyyy, you're one of the ladies whose post I found helpful during my major lurking period also! By the looks of your avatar, you have very lush & thick hair. I wish it was easy for me to be patient and wait but I'm a junior in high school & I want to know what my hair is like so when it's time for graduation photos I can have super fly natural hair. But I guess I'll have to stop being so anxious & be patient :) Thanks for the well wishes & advice I'll be stalking the transitioning threads. Hopefully all the stuff I learned from the stretching threads and the experience itself can hp me too.