4b Fustrated with dry,breaking, brillo pad texture, puffy hair

Me2

Ladies Iet me start off by apologizing for a long post but I am sooooo fustrated! I can't do anything with my hair. It's 4b to the fullest and dry. Before I started to take care of my hair I combed the boards. So I thought I was ready to begin. The first few weeks everything seemed to be going good the bad breakage I was experiencing seemed to be getting better. Then I decided to do the Crown and Glory Method. Fine. No problem. I got the braid spray and Infusium. Ok I'm doing good even braided my own hair. One set back...I was sick and my braids were down somehow I rolled on them and I could hear the hair rip....guess where? Right at my hairline which had just started to fill in! Decided to take the braids out. I did the pre-poo (egg, Silk Elements Cholestrol, EVOO), pooed (Silk Elements), and DC (Silk Elements) under dryer. Mositurized and sealed let hair air dry to damp and then did a roller set which was CRUNCHY but thanks to you ladies I now know how to correct that. After using Porosity (thanks gymfreak) pooing and conditioning I mositurized (Sunsilk Hydra) and then sealed (castor oil) tied hair down while damp. I get up to go to work that night and hair looks straight but has that kind of matted look from the scarf. I attempt to run the comb through it a little and POOF! It rises(my auntie calls it self-rising flour) so running late for work I attempt to comb it down. By the time I got to work ten minutes later I looked like one of the Supremes! Soooo when I get off that morning I decided to do Bantu Knots. I moisturized and sealed. I had work with it but for the most time they turned out good. Re-did them that night and took down and it was a puffy mess. Fustrated I used Porosity and then relaxed with Silk Elements, Conditioned with SE, DC w/ Alma Oil (thanks DLewis). Mositurized (Carrot Creme) sealed with Coconut Oil. It was soo soft and and had some shine to it. Tied it down and again ended up with a poofy brillo pad mess granted it did feel much more moisturized. I've tried many different things in a few short days and still end up with a semi-soft, semi-dry, brillo texture, puffy, breaking hair. I'm supposed to re-braid my hair tomorrow but now I don't want to until I know I can take care of my hair without braids. Any suggestions? Do I need a heavier moisturizer since nothing weighs it down? For the ladies who use NTM is there a leave-in? I couldn't find one at Target. TIA

I'm not sure if you've considered this, but maybe you should blow dry your hair. Some of us (myself included) cannot air-dry our hair for various reason. If you don't want to use heat then blowdrying might not be everyday option, but you should give it a try once. Also, how long is your hair? If possible maybe you should put it back in a ponytail while it's drying.

^^ that's a good suggestion.

I would also suggest doing a sopping wet rollerset before you give up on rollersetting, the semi dry won't dry silky straight on everyone. Have you tried a braid out?

^^ that's a good suggestion.

I would also suggest doing a sopping wet rollerset before you give up on rollersetting, the semi dry won't dry silky straight on everyone. Have you tried a braid out?

WOW It sounds like you've been through a lot with this hair. Have you tried clarifying your hair? Sometimes my hair acts like crap if it needs to be clarified. It just won't cooperate at all.

Thanks for replying ladies.

Idp my hair is right at neck length in back and chin length on the sides. I stopped fully blow drying awhile ago because it would get really puffy. Semi blow drying was a little better. I haven't tried it in awhile. I'll give it a shot

winterintatl I'll give the sopping wet rollerset a try.

bmoreflygirl-Yes, I have been through it! I'm soooo tired. I thought about clarifying but didn't get any poo. I didn't think this was the problem since my hair has always been puffy. Funny thing is when my hair is wet I can throw on a headband and make a cute afro puff even though I have a relaxer. The only thing that makes it lay down without puffing is heat which I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to get some clarifying shampoo in a little while.

Thanks again. I've read some threads about good conditioners but I need a good heavy one...I think.

Me2 said:
Thanks for replying ladies.

Idp my hair is right at neck length in back and chin length on the sides. I stopped fully blow drying awhile ago because it would get really puffy. Semi blow drying was a little better. I haven't tried it in awhile. I'll give it a shot

winterintatl I'll give the sopping wet rollerset a try.

bmoreflygirl-Yes, I have been through it! I'm soooo tired. I thought about clarifying but didn't get any poo. I didn't think this was the problem since my hair has always been puffy. Funny thing is when my hair is wet I can throw on a headband and make a cute afro puff even though I have a relaxer. The only thing that makes it lay down without puffing is heat which I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to get some clarifying shampoo in a little while.

Thanks again. I've read some threads about good conditioners but I need a good heavy one...I think.

It's probably just a fine hair thing. My hair is fine too and as a relaxed head I got that puffiness too. A leave in conditioner should weigh it down enough and eliminate frizz. You shouldn't have problems with her hair frizzing once the moisture is locked in. If I'm not mistaken when you lock the moisture into your hair it should make the cuticles swell and not all moisture to get in which would lead to frizziness and poofiness.

As far as a clarifying poo, you can get a cheapie to try it and see if you like it. I use V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze you can get it in the grocery store on like cvs for about a $1. It works for me. Just make sure you follow up with a moisturizing shampoo after you use a clarifying poo. And then do a good DC. What are you using to DC now?

Are you using a silk or satin scarf? If not maybe your scarf is pulling the moisture out of your hair. Another moisterizer that I like is Dove Sheer Moisture Mist.

Ladies thank you so much for your help. I bought V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo. Then DC with Amla and SE Cholestrol, Moisturized with Infusium Ologie and Braid Spray sealed with castor/coconut/EVOO, sat under dryer until hair was damp and then pulled back into ponytail and covered with scarf. When I took the scarf off today it was soft and moisturized with only a slight Brillo pad texture:D in the top where it got crunchy under the dryer. Still rising but I'm adjusting to that. Going to do bantu knots tonight. I really want to try the sopping wet rollerset like Idp suggested but I'm too lazy tonight.

Is Infusium and Braid Spray a good everyday moisturizer when not in braids?

GoldenBreeze I use a silk scarf. I've been afraid to buy Dove Sheer Moisture Mist because I don't really like liquid products but after the results from last night I may look into it.

Hey Me2,

I know it can get fustrating but it can and will get better. For starters, do you only air dry your hair. I personally have issues airdrying unless I roll it first. With rollersetting, one thing you can do to help keep it really wet without making it hard to deal with is fill a spray bottle with water. Part you hair into three sections or as many as you usually use for rollersetting. I part my hair into three sections, the sides and the mohawk section. I roll the middle first so I apply a creamy leave-in to each section and spray with water until wet but not too dripey. Then I use a little roller clip to clip the sides into a little swirl to keep them moist. As I roll the middle section, I apply a little dab of foam wrap and then spray with water that way each section is fully wet which will give you the best less poufy set. I use one of the sunsilk 24/7 cremes. They actually have one for poufy hair and they work surprising well. As I move on to each section, I keep spraying with water to keep it moist and wet.

As far as your over hair still breaking and feeling all out of whack, check you protien/moisture balance and recheck your porosity. Search for sistaslicks threads and supergirls thread about breaking hair. Her advice works really well too. What daily moisturizer do you currently use? My sister has poufy hair too and one of the things that helps is a good semi-heavy moisutrizer and a little shine serum. I currently use ors olive oil creme and even though I was hestitant due to mineral oil on the ingredient list, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

As the other ladies have said, airdrying might not be your thing. Try other methods like a sit under dryer or even lightly and I do mean lightly flatironing with a serum on low low heat after you air dry. Heat smoothes the cuticle and it is harder for you cuticle to lay uniformly if you don't use heat to dry.

just wanted to add re: bantu know set. Try streching out the curls after it's air-dried with a blow dryer on warm setting, that's what I do- it will loosen the curl a bit.

Please don't blowdry your hair.

If you hair is already breaking and acting crazy all the heat+manipulation for the blowdryer is not going to help you at all. I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I personally think blowdrying won't do anything but make the problem worse or mask the damage. IMHO there is no healthy way to blowdry. It is one of the most damaging things a black relaxed person can do to their hair.

Me2 said:
Ladies Iet me start off by apologizing for a long post but I am sooooo fustrated! I can't do anything with my hair. It's 4b to the fullest and dry. Before I started to take care of my hair I combed the boards. So I thought I was ready to begin. The first few weeks everything seemed to be going good the bad breakage I was experiencing seemed to be getting better. Then I decided to do the Crown and Glory Method. Fine. No problem. I got the braid spray and Infusium. Ok I'm doing good even braided my own hair. One set back...I was sick and my braids were down somehow I rolled on them and I could hear the hair rip....guess where? Right at my hairline which had just started to fill in! Decided to take the braids out. I did the pre-poo (egg, Silk Elements Cholestrol, EVOO), pooed (Silk Elements), and DC (Silk Elements) under dryer. Mositurized and sealed let hair air dry to damp and then did a roller set which was CRUNCHY but thanks to you ladies I now know how to correct that. After using Porosity (thanks gymfreak) pooing and conditioning I mositurized (Sunsilk Hydra) and then sealed (castor oil) tied hair down while damp. I get up to go to work that night and hair looks straight but has that kind of matted look from the scarf. I attempt to run the comb through it a little and POOF! It rises(my auntie calls it self-rising flour) so running late for work I attempt to comb it down. By the time I got to work ten minutes later I looked like one of the Supremes! Soooo when I get off that morning I decided to do Bantu Knots. I moisturized and sealed. I had work with it but for the most time they turned out good. Re-did them that night and took down and it was a puffy mess. Fustrated I used Porosity and then relaxed with Silk Elements, Conditioned with SE, DC w/ Alma Oil (thanks DLewis). Mositurized (Carrot Creme) sealed with Coconut Oil. It was soo soft and and had some shine to it. Tied it down and again ended up with a poofy brillo pad mess granted it did feel much more moisturized. I've tried many different things in a few short days and still end up with a semi-soft, semi-dry, brillo texture, puffy, breaking hair. I'm supposed to re-braid my hair tomorrow but now I don't want to until I know I can take care of my hair without braids. Any suggestions? Do I need a heavier moisturizer since nothing weighs it down? For the ladies who use NTM is there a leave-in? I couldn't find one at Target. TIA

Have you tried sealing your leave-in with a serum, adding the rollers and sitting under the drier until the hair is fully dry? The serum helps lock in frizzies and smooth the hair the rollersetting under the drier until it is dry helps keep it from frizzing up.

Also you may want to try a conditioner with more silicones in it. Silicones are things added to conditioners that help smooth the hair and make it shiny. Anything ending with "icone" in a conditioner is a silicone.

ldp said:
I'm not sure if you've considered this, but maybe you should blow dry your hair. Some of us (myself included) cannot air-dry our hair for various reason. If you don't want to use heat then blowdrying might not be everyday option, but you should give it a try once. Also, how long is your hair? If possible maybe you should put it back in a ponytail while it's drying.

I agree. I have to either blowdry or use a serious moisturizer/oil to airdry. You should try twist outs with a thick leave-in condish or even a regular one like Redken heavy cream, or L'Occitane Shea Butter conditioner (excellent as a leave-in...and what I used for this 4-day old twist out).

226324694.jpg

Last edited:
LocksOfLuV said:
Please don't blowdry your hair.

If you hair is already breaking and acting crazy all the heat+manipulation for the blowdryer is not going to help you at all. I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I personally think blowdrying won't do anything but make the problem worse or mask the damage. IMHO there is no healthy way to blowdry. It is one of the most damaging things a black relaxed person can do to their hair.

this is what i would have said

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I tried blow drying on cool. It only got dry enough so that it wasn't dripping due to having to hold that darn cool but down (it's a dinosaur). So basically I air dryed. Is blow drying on cool still as damaging? I did a braid out on damp hair and it turned out pretty and was even moisturized. Lately I haven't been having much breakage. Only a few strands in the comb and none on the sink or my clothes (took my shirt off to check :D)! Before I was afraid to run my hands through my hair. Today I kept doing becuase I didn't get any hair! HIH bad I know but I was shocked! I've still been using Infusium Ologie and Braidspray with a little Carrot Creme to moisturize. Is this ok for daily long term usuage?

Back