Corrective Relaxers???

Leshia

Hey ladies,
From what I've read, it seems that corrective relaxers are pulled through the hair in order to have all the hair the same texture. This makes sense, especially if you've been underprocessed (like I have so many, MANY times), but how do you know if you should have one???? Do I need a corrective relaxer? Should I have one????

Hi Leshia,
I resisted having this service done for a very long time. I finally gave in a month ago and I'm so glad that I did. My hair has never looked so good or felt so good. Comb out after shampoo is a breeze as the tangles I used to have are no longer an issue. My hair absorbs water more readily in those areas that were previously underprocessed. I have gotten so many compliments on my hair since I had this done.
The need for this service seemed to be obvious to my stylist after he washed/5-in-1ed/neutralized my new growth after a retouch, while it was still wet. I think he could see then how many different textures there were and how underprocessed parts of my hair were. I have had a sense of this too, for over a year but didn't want my hair overprocessed or bone straight (or worse, ruined). I have been going to his salon for a little less than a year so I feel the underprocessing occurred before he began doing my hair. I trust his work and refused this service with a previous stylist who did it once and seemed to be proposing it oh too frequently. Bear in mind that some stylists charge extra for this service.
In short, I recommend that you only have this process done if it is recommended and performed by a stylist you trust.

HTH.

I read something similar on the How To's thread. It was a link posted there maybe by Mindymouse (sp?). The technique site said something about this being something a stylist should do routinely on new client that had been previous relaxed by another stylist. I think it had something to do with the reason you stated earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:
I read something similar on the How To's thread. It was a link posted there maybe by Mindymouse (sp?). The technique site said something about this being something a stylist should do on new client that had been previous relaxed by another stylist. I think it had something to do with the reason you stated earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the quote that the above referred to. It came from a site called behindthechair.com:

[ QUOTE ]
This client's hair was previously relaxed by a different designer which presents many variables from the new service being performed. Therefore, initial application will treat this service as a retouch. However, the relaxer will be brought through the hair towards the end of the processing time to equalize the texture.....21. Spread the relaxer throughout the shaft during the last three to five minutes of the relaxer service. This ensures consistency in texture given that this client's previous end texture was somewhat different having been done with a different formula and by another service provider. On her next visit she will not have the relaxer brought through the ends.....

[/ QUOTE ]

HTH!

Back