Constantly wearing twists=SSKs & Splits?

FtrDrO

Background: Natural 4b who has been wearing my hair (my own hair with out added weave) in twists for the most part over the last year. I've trimmed my ends a few times but I seem to always get ssk. I know that our hair is prone to doing that but I can't help but feel that there is another factor contributing to the midshaft splits & ssks and that the twisting make for more weakening points & encouragement of knotting due to the twisting. What do you guys think? Anyone else noticing this?

I was considering a) converting to braids with my natural hair and b) Using hair extenstions when doing twists to decrease the stress on my hair and ends.

What product are you using as a leave in?

How many times do you moisturize the length of you hair while in twists?

Do you use any type of oil or butter to help keep them from knotting?

I wore twist outs for one month and my ends were so dry and raggedy. I had to trim twice and I had many ssk's. I love twist outs, but I decided not to wear them on a regular basis. It's not the healthiest option for my hair.

Answers in burgundy

What product are you using as a leave in?
I keep my hair moisturized with whatever leave in I'm using at the time which changes from time to time. Currently, Giovanni direct at times and other times my spritz which contains rosewater glycerin, food grade aloe vera gel, & suave coconut.

How many times do you moisturize the length of you hair while in twists?
I keep my hair very moisturized, spraying it at least once a day. My hair stays very moist but that doesn't prevent the splits/knots.

Do you use any type of oil or butter to help keep them from knotting?
I always focus extra moisture on my ends and seal with an oil (coconut, EVOO) or shea butter....still splits and knots!

I have the same problem. I get splits and SSKs yet I do everything "right". I love twists and I wear them in protective styles yet that doesn't eliminate ssks and splits, as well as braids. And I don't use brushes or combs on a daily basis either. The end of the hair stay raggedy despite all efforts. Someone suggested baggying the ends of the hair in a bun and perhaps you should attempt this?

Add another to the list.For the life of me I cannot get away from SSK's and I have tried just about everything so maybe ^^^^I will try to baggy my twists individually :<

OP, I don't know if twists cause SSKs. I wear my bangs in twists and I don't seem to get them, or maybe I just don't notice? :scratchch

How do you twist? Do you twirl each strand before winding it around the other? Also when do you notice the SSK? Is it when you are redoing your twists? Is it from twist-outs?

Oh one more question, do you twist on dry or wet?

I thought about perhaps me using no cones or butters is the culprit. Cones and butters help the hair to have slip and glide hair strands against one another, it is less likely that they get entangled with each other and knot up.

I thought about perhaps me using no cones or butters is the culprit. Cones and butters help the hair to have slip and glide hair strands against one another, it is less likely that they get entangled with each other and knot up.

I don't use anything on my twists at all. :ohwell: So I don't know if that can be it. I wonder if there are any other bare hair twisters. I'd love to know what their experience is.

KaramelKurly do you twist on wet? When do you see the SSKs? What are you usually doing when you see them?

When was the last time you did a protein treatment? Maybe your protein to mositure ratio is off a little bit.....Also I've heard some people use henna to lessen the ssk....those bloody things are one of the main reasons why I havent bc'c yet.....but I still get them in my nape (no bueno!!)

I have the same problem. I get splits and SSKs yet I do everything "right". I love twists and I wear them in protective styles yet that doesn't eliminate ssks and splits, as well as braids. And I don't use brushes or combs on a daily basis either. The end of the hair stay raggedy despite all efforts. Someone suggested baggying the ends of the hair in a bun and perhaps you should attempt this?
I may have to try the baggying
OP, I don't know if twists cause SSKs. I wear my bangs in twists and I don't seem to get them, or maybe I just don't notice? :scratchch

How do you twist? Do you twirl each strand before winding it around the other? Also when do you notice the SSK? Is it when you are redoing your twists? Is it from twist-outs?
I twist on dry stretched hair to decrease the shrinkage and likelihood of tangling. I usually notice SSK when I'm redoing my twists. I don't usually wear my hair in twist outs but every once in a while. And I use your twisting method of twirling each strand before winding it around the other.

Oh one more question, do you twist on dry or wet?

I actually thought about this same thing. I do put oils and shea butter on my hair, but maybe some cones are needed. I'm testing out HE LTR on my ends this week. My ends have been very soft.

I don't use anything on my twists at all. :ohwell: So I don't know if that can be it. I wonder if there are any other bare hair twisters. I'd love to know what their experience is.

KaramelKurly do you twist on wet? When do you see the SSKs? What are you usually doing when you see them?
I twist on wet hair. I see SSK's after I wear the twist outs. Not when I immediately take them down. When I see them I'm usually detangling my hair from a 3 day old twist out and getting ready to wash it. :look:

Back