Combing out Dreads

d-rock

Ok I had a dumb moment about 5 minutes ago. I was googling "combing out dreads" cause I've always flirted with the idea of getting locs (nice, neat, small/medium sized ones), but was always worried that I'd have to cut them off and start growing my hair all over again. I'm too much of a chicken to chop my hair off. I should have just come here first and asked.

So, any ways, I read yesterday about someone combing their dreads out and I'm curious to see some pictures. Does anyone have a before (with dreads) and an after (combed out) dread picture(s)? How long did it take you? Do you feel like you lost a of hair or just shed hairs that would have fallen out any way?

Thanks in advance.

I did, and I think I lost a lot of hair - I went from Shoulder length or so dreads, to about ear length loose hair. Of course, I had also been bleaching and dying the devil out of my hair, so I'm sure that didn't help much.
It really depends, though, as I've heard of people combing out their dreads and only losing a couple of inches.....

It took me about 3 days (and I was moving at the same time) to take them all out once I really put my mind to it.

2252996561_95c6e24ac6_m.jpg
Minus one bucket of hair
288632058_f57879ff6d_m.jpg
and a quick bleach treatment left me with

2253565277_d5bd1c3a30_m.jpg

I felt like I had to bleach my hair, to 'normalize' all the colors I had left - I had like, 4 different colors in my hair once I took the dreads out.

Oh - mine were also almost five years old - I think that makes a difference, too.

Last edited:
I don't have any pics, but I took my shoulder length dreads out in a day. I lost a lot of hair b/c towards the end, I started taking like 5 at a time and ripping through them with a paddle brush :nono:. I didn't care b/c I wanted them out and hair grows back.

Aside from that, the best way for me was using a metal end of a rat tail comb and that Royal Roots detangler and whatever else in one and woking SLOWLY up each lock. The shedding was minimal on the parts I did like that.

Oh, I really didn't lose inches, except for the parts where I started to lose my mind :lachen:.

ETA: the crown was where I did this and I ended up with a patch of around 3" hair.

Last edited:
I don't have any pics, but I took my shoulder length dreads out in a day. I lost a lot of hair b/c towards the end, I started taking like 5 at a time and ripping through them with a paddle brush :nono:. I didn't care b/c I wanted them out and hair grows back.

Aside from that, the best way for me was using a metal end of a rat tail comb and that Royal Roots detangler and whatever else in one and woking SLOWLY up each lock. The shedding was minimal on the parts I did like that.
So, how long was your hair after you ended up taking them out?

^ it was still around shoulder length unstretched. My curl shrinkage was about the same as the shrinkage from the locks. When I flat ironed, it was almost APL.

I don't have pictures either, but I had shoulder length locks. It took me some months to take them down. I used some braid removal spray to loosen the dirt, cut about 1/4 inch off the ends, and slowly combed each one out with a small tooth comb. My hair was very thick and healthy when I finished. It was like I had protected my hair for a year.( I had them in for a year). And it was almost APL when straightened.

ETA: It is very time consuming, and if I ever decide to lock again, I will cut them when I don't want them anymore.

No I dont have dreads but I read about in essence mag one year.
and this woman just drenched it with conditioner
let it settle in it
and then pick them out.
and her hair was beautiful
I think she said it took like 6 hrs.

Ok I had a dumb moment about 5 minutes ago. I was googling "combing out dreads" cause I've always flirted with the idea of getting locs (nice, neat, small/medium sized ones), but was always worried that I'd have to cut them off and start growing my hair all over again. I'm too much of a chicken to chop my hair off. I should have just come here first and asked.

So, any ways, I read yesterday about someone combing their dreads out and I'm curious to see some pictures. Does anyone have a before (with dreads) and an after (combed out) dread picture(s)? How long did it take you? Do you feel like you lost a of hair or just shed hairs that would have fallen out any way?

Thanks in advance.

post in the spinoff of "" can you pronouce this "" .. lol

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4810811#post4810811

Back