Cathy Howse v.s. Crown and Glory

Ciacia

Hi all,

I am a newbie :grin:
I am currently in braids (with extensions) and taking really care of my hair making sure it is moisturized etc.... as recommended in the crown and glory methods
I have lurking different fotkis and seen that the C. Howse methods worked wonder for lots of ladies. When I went on the ultrablackhair site I have seen that C. Howse was kind of hating on braids, saying that it breaks hair whatever you do.....
In your opinion, which technique is better (and faster) when it comes to growing long, thick and healthy hair?

Thanks in advance for your reply
HHG
http://public.fotki.com/ciabis/

Ciacia

thanks for the reply
well I was thinking of giving it a try after my next relaxer mid july
I will be 16 weeks post (including 8 weeks in braids)
It will help me to compare the growth rate:)

Shinka

Both have worked for me. You just need to know how to care for braids. If you want to wear your hair out, use Cathy's Method

talata

The C Howse method is currently working better for my. I tend to loose alot of hair on my edges whenever I put in any type of braids.

I just finished a 2 week stint with cornrows a couple of weeks and I tried.... I tried really hard -believe me - to take exceptional care of my hair cos I sooo loved the convenience it gave me.

But I take them off and guess what? A Big ol hole (half a penny size) right on my side. Although I liked how strong my hair felt due to all that surge I sprayed on them cornrows. I'm however done with braids though. At least for now.

But again, different strokes for different folks, right?

-

Ciacia

The C Howse method is currently working better for my. I tend to loose alot of hair on my edges whenever I put in any type of braids.

I just finished a 2 week stint with cornrows a couple of weeks and I tried.... I tried really hard -believe me - to take exceptional care of my hair cos I sooo loved the convenience it gave me.

But I take them off and guess what? A Big ol hole (half a penny size) right on my side. Although I liked how strong my hair felt due to all that surge I sprayed on them cornrows. I'm however done with braids though. At least for now.

But again, different strokes for different folks, right?

-

thanks for the reply
indeed braids gives growth but you can have bad surprises in some spots when taking it off.....
I just need to be less lazy with my real hair, I'll bun 99,99% of the time I guess it should be fine:ohwell:

Missi

I think you can follow both methods but I would use kinky twists. You can learn how to do them on Youtube.com

So whenever you have too much newgrowth: you can rebraid your hair yourself at a comfortable tightness (grip).

Kinky Twist & Ayurvedic works well too for the Crown & Glory method IMO

ladylibra

depends on what works for your hair i think... there's no "one size fits all." i don't know a lot about Cathy Howse's methods but i know my hair likes the Crown and Glory method (i just dont cuz i miss my hair :lol: )

ChocalateDiva

The Cathy Howe Method is a SIMPLE, NO-NONSENSE routine for hair retention.

Cathy advocates a consistent vitamin/healthy diet regimen, along with washing and deep conditioning hair with heat every 3-4 days(protien dc followed by moisturizing dc- if I remember correctly) , and moisturizing 1-2x per day. NO POTIONS, LOTIONS, OILS, or GREASE!

FYI- She has her own Deep conditioner..........its pricey but GOOD!!:lick:

nklogan

I prefer crown n glory.I don't know why Cathy hating on braids because they'll only break your hair if they are done tightly.:perplexed

HoneyDew

I prefer Crown and Glory. Although the moisturizing and conditioning suggestions from Cathy are a no-brainer, she used too much heat for me. I love heat on my hair, but I know that my hair cannot take it over time. I have learned that the hard way,

With Crown and Glory, I see more progress over time. My goal is to get longer hair and also healthier hair from longterm elimination of relaxer touch-ups, heat and combing. After I achieve that, I hope to be able to manage these protective techniques without the need for braids.

jamaraa

What is the Cathy Howse method??

She basically advocates deep conditioning EVERY TIME you wash your hair which is about 3-4x per week in her system. By deep conditioning, she means sitting under a cap dryer for 30 mins at least w/ a conditioner that's balanced in protein and moisture. All in all, she's rather anti hairdresser and encourages women to care for their own hair, including relaxers, if possible. Of course she now sells products, but in her original book she put in her conditioner recipe. It's floating around here and online, if you search. IIRC, it's basically buy a protein conditioner (like Mane and Tail) and doctor it w/ olive oil and peppermint EO.

As for her attitude toward braiding, her method was designed for people w/ relaxed hair NOT natural (altho you can use it just fine) in mind, no matter what others claim...IN MY VIEW Braids on relaxed hair can be damaging if you aren't careful.

Basically I think the approaches boil down....Cathy Howe=relaxed Crown and Glory=natural

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I prefer Crown and Glory. Cathy uses too much heat for me. I love the way my hair looks with heat, but my hair just can't take it over time.

I notice that I retain more growth with Crown and Glory because of the lack of relaxer touchups, combing and heat.

I never have a problem with my edges with braids though. I had problem with edges when I tried out weaves a few years ago. I think I was messing with my own hair too much trying to make it blend in :look: .

Anyway, braids have been good to me, but I have to be careful - I can become dependant on them. :perplexed But, for a short time, they help me and came through when I had a setback after some overprocessing.

I like that Cathy suggest deep conditioning and moisture. Those are no-brainers. My hair just can't handle the heat over time.

HoneyDew

what is the Crown and Glory method?

Here is Robin's regimine from her site:

"I would apply the Braid Extensions to my hair every 2 months-making sure my braids are being nourished with a hair strengthener, the braid spray while in Braid Extensions, and deep conditioning weekly when out of braids, Only relaxing my hair 2 times a year, combing and handling my hair by brushing the Crown & Glory Way- using my hair vitamins, eating the best of health foods, drinking plenty of water, meditating and exercising.

I continued this This regimen and technique until my hair grew waist length. When I had accomplished my length, I wore my hair out of braids and continued to deep condition weekly, wearing my hair in no contact styles, and keep my hair trimmed by a professional. My hair became easier to comb through wet or dry and it kept its proper pH. You'll find that when you do wear your long hair down, it will not dry out or break off onto your clothes anymore, instead you'll see long strands of natural shedding here and there. "

Her details are here: http://growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Miosy

I like Crown & Glory only because it requires less maintence for me :)
I'm actually planning to follow it until I reach my hair goal. I just started, I've had my hair braided and taking care/washing my hair regularly for a month now. I'm removing them at the end of Aug. and taking a 2 month break before rebraiding my hair :)

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Basically I think the approaches boil down....Cathy Howe=relaxed Crown and Glory=natural

No you can do crown and glory with relaxed hair. The lady who used this method and created a site about it, Robin, is relaxed.

She talks about making sure your hair is elastic and healthy enough for braids before using the technique. Your hair must be is good shape and keeping it conditioned is a must.

HoneyDew

I like Crown & Glory only because it requires less maintence for me :)
I'm actually planning to flow it until I reach my hair goal. I just started, I've had my hair braid and taking care/washing my hair regularly for a month now. I'm removing them at the end of Aug. and taking a 2 month break before rebraiding my hair :)

I really wish that I could take a break. I am not good with handling the NG. I either need to relax or get it braided again.

I am going to try to see if I can wait it out after my next set of braids. I will be 19 weeks post then. Nah, won't work. :lol:

Miosy

I really wish that I could take a break. I am not good with handling the NG. I either need to relax or get it braided again.

I am going to try to see if I can wait it out after my next set of braids. I will be 19 weeks post then. Nah, won't work. :lol:

I can go 19 weeks w/o relaxer only because I found two good products that compliments my 4b/a hair-Chil silk drops and Chi flat iron. My hair comes out smooth but it's hard work because I first roller set and dry under the dryer. When I air dry and flat iron my hair doesn't come out as straight :sad:

To me its basically the same BASICS. Protective styling, moisturizing, low to no chemicals, and gentle handling. The basics of all good hair regimen. If you want to use braids and have no problem wearing them fro extended periods of time try crown and glory. If you prefer your hair out then you might want to use Cathy's method. You can always mix and match. As a natural I prefer to wash my hair in braids to keep from having to extensively detangle. Doesn't mean Im committed to C&G.

pringe

Crown and GLory worked wonders for me, and yes i'm natural but i don't think that makes a difference.I think what makes a difference is what regimen is better for ur hair. I've never tried the Cathy Howse method but i don't think i will cause i'm doing what works well for me and tryin tokeep it simple.

IMO HTH, happy growing!@