Calling All Ponytail/Bun Wearers

Faith

I have a few questions for all of you:
1. How often do you wear your hair up in this protective style?
2. Do you ever wear it down?
3. When you wear this protective style, do you just slick your hair back and bun/phonytail it? Or do you do change it up a bit by flat twisting or cornrowing the front maybe and then bunning/put the phonytail on?
4. How do you keep from getting bored with wearing the same look everyday?
5. Are there any sites of natural updos I can check out? (I have checked out motowngirl's site already)

I'm interested in doing the phonytail thing but I'm scared the same style will be too boring for me to handle it. And using heat will not be an every week option. I only plan to use heat 1x every 3 months or so. So, once my hair is out it will be in a phonytail for weeks. Can I do this...hmmmm
drunk.gif

TIA for all the help
smile.gif

1. I wear my hair up about 99% of the time and a protective style (ends tucked in) makes up about 25% of that time.
2. I hardly ever wear my hair down unless I've had it straightened by me or a professional or my braidout looks unusually good. I'd say on average, every 2 months.
3. I usually wear my hair in a twisty updo secured by a scrunchy, barrette, butterfly clip, or one of those ficcare clips. This is usually done after a braidout so it's wavy and curly.
4. I don't get too bored with the look b/c I try to wear different earrings, jewelry and hair accessories.
5. Hmmm...there's a thread somewhere with natural websites.

Almost every day.

Not really.

3. When you wear this protective style, do you just slick your hair back and bun/phonytail it? Or do you do change it up a bit by flat twisting or cornrowing the front maybe and then bunning/put the phonytail on?

I do bangs in the front sometimes.

I buy different phony tails- curly,straight. I also take them and twist them around into twists and buns.

Every day!

Well I started my bun challenge in August and since August Ive only worn my hair down for Christmas.

I slick it back usually because its easiest but when I get bored Ill flat twist or cornrow the front, I love trying different parts also.

I have TONS or new hair accessories: scrunchies, ficcare clips, hair sticks, etc. to pretty up my bun. I also found these cute little hair bands (elastic bands with hair wrapped around) that were a welcomed change! I have pictures in my photo album of this.

I would say out of 7 days I wear a bun 3-4 times.

Yes, on the weekends or whenever I feel like it.

Yes, I do try to change it up with different parts and as you mentioned with twisting it sometimes.

I don't get bored with it cause I really love the sleek look. I like neat hairstyles with not too much fuss. Plus it's good for my hair.

Thanks. You ladies are the best
grin.gif

Question: what is this ficcare clip? I probably own one and don't even know it
laugh.gif

50% of the time. I get bored with the phonytail look so I try out wearing other protective styles in the meantime.

Under the circumstances, I will have my hair rollerset at the salon (wash and set w/ low heat, no blow-dry). I usually wear it down the first day only and I add moisture to my ends.

I personally haven't tried flat-twisting, but they do sell headbands wherein you can make a flat-twist style without using any gels or sticky pomade. They sell the headbands in Target, Claire's and on scunci.com

What I use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair butter, or Samy Shape-in gel (it's very light, non-drying and clear).

I have about a thousand-and-one hair accesories and I know how to make different bun styles or french twists and chignons. In one week, I can wear 7 different buns.
In previous posts, I've listed site that show how to do different protective styles. (I'm currently not on my own computer so I don't have access to the URLs)

5. Are there any sites of natural updos I can check out? (I have checked out motowngirl's site already)
Though the ladies on the sites I can provide have straight hair, the styles can be done of both relaxed or natural hair.

1. About 98% of the time.
2. yes 2% of the time.. lol
3. I don't wear a phony pony over my bun.. at least not yet.
4. I use a ton of accesories like flowers, sticks, etc.
I also use twists as the basis of my style so that I
don't have to use heat to pull my hair back (It is
extremely thick.)

90%of the time I only weat my hair down on special ocassions

usually not more then 4x's in a month

I haven't started my bun challenge that long ago so I'm still looking for things to dress my bun with. I've been looking for the twirl-a-bun, chopsticks, and other for a while now

I cared at first, but now it doesn't bother me cause I know me hair is benefiting form less manipulation.

I guess I'm one of those protective hairstyle type of girl whose always worn protective styles not knowing they were protective so wearing a bun for me is quite natural because I'd been doing it since jr high. Now since I'm going for waist length like adrienne and I know I can do it with all the skills I've learned here it may be tedious and predictable but I will keep my eye on the prize and it will come sooner than later.
wink.gif

I just started about 3 weeks ago, and I've been consistent, except for maybe 2 days outta the week before washing time, or when I take it down before heading to the salon. I just slick all my hair back and plait my hair and pin it down into a ball. Then, I attach the drawstring. I haven't tried anything else with it yet.

1. How often do you wear your hair up in this protective style? <font color="brown">Every day. </font>
2. Do you ever wear it down? <font color="brown">The day of my touchup but then it's back up. </font>
3. When you wear this protective style, do you just slick your hair back and bun/phonytail it? Or do you do change it up a bit by flat twisting or cornrowing the front maybe and then bunning/put the phonytail on? <font color="brown"> I finally taught myself how to cornrow!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
So yes, now I do sport flat twist or cornrow and then bun or put on my phonytail.
smile.gif
Thank goodness, because the monotony was driving me crazy!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
</font>
4. How do you keep from getting bored with wearing the same look everyday? <font color="brown">Laziness helps a lot with this.
laugh.gif
Seriously, though, see answer #3...plus I remind myself of the bun challenge and pray that I have the same success as Yvette did from wearing her bun for a year. </font>
5. Are there any sites of natural updos I can check out? (I have checked out motowngirl's site already) <font color="brown"> Dunno.
ohwell.gif
</font>

1. Every day
2. I wore it down for Thanksgiving, but in general, no. I think I might give up my bun challenge early, though. I'm stretching out my relaxer and I think it will be a lot easier on my hair if I stop pulling it back so much. We'll see...
3. Just slick it back. I don't know how to conrow and I'm too lazy/pressed for time to do much to my hair
laugh.gif

4. I think it takes a lot to bore me
laugh.gif
I've been wearing this hairstyle for years and it doesn't bother me.
5. I don't know of any personally. I'm sure someone here does...

<font color="blue">I wear my hair up most of the time.</font>

<font color="blue">I wear my hair down one to three times every four months.</font>

<font color="blue">I wear my hair in a bun with a side part or a center part.</font>

<font color="blue">I don't get bored from wearing the same look everyday. As long as my bun is neat and clean, I'm happy with it.</font>

<font color="blue">Beats me. I'm relaxed.</font>

:
1. How often do you wear your hair up in this protective style? every single stinkin day..lol

2. Do you ever wear it down? just one time since i started the challenge a few months ago, i got raves!!

3. When you wear this protective style, do you just slick your hair back and bun/phonytail it? Or do you do change it up a bit by flat twisting or cornrowing the front maybe and then bunning/put the phonytail on? nope just a plain bun in the back for me, not that im thrilled with it, but i know its helping me get to my goal by protecting my ends.

4. How do you keep from getting bored with wearing the same look everyday? i do get bored, i have a bang but that gets slicked back after 2 days or so also....i get very bored, i also use makeup and long dangaly earring, that makes me feel better.

5. Are there any sites of natural updos I can check out? (I have checked out motowngirl's site already)na.....

Back