Burnt hair/heat damage/Training

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i was thinking maybe some types of hair cannot be trained?

Back when i wanted straight hair i remember getting a marcel hot comb heating it on the gas stove and putting it directly on my hair. I thought i needed the highest heat possible to straighten my hair because it was the nappiest thing on earth(to me). but after wards i dont remember having trained hair. it looked nappy just like it does today what i do remember is having tons of burnt hair though that turned to ash when touched. Not on my head but in the comb or around the kitchen. surprisingly i didnt loose much hair from doing this.:perplexed
did this happen to anyone? It just made me question if all hair can be trained or is it that trained hair is at the lower level of heat damage and the burnt hair is at a higher level?

i dont want to heat train my hair but maybe the reason for this is why some people can use copious amount of heat and their hair looks good or they have alot of hair.

I am starting to believe "trained hair" is a myth. I feel a solid hair care regimen and straitening technique plays an essential part in maintaining the health of your when using heat to straighten it.

A lot of people assume that you have to beat your hair into submission with heat to get it straight which we all know leads to major damage in the long run.

'Trained' hair in my mind, is moderately heat damaged hair. Sounds like you were taking your hair to severely heat damaged, if you had 'ashed' hair all over the place, Napp. Most likely the already weak/damaged sections of your hair gave up the ghost, first.

Everyone's hair has different levels of heat tolerance - some people can use a lot (Pinkskates comes to mind) without any long term effect on their hair, and some can't without having an immediate long term effect on their hair. :look: Your hair is the final decider, and until you use heat on a regular, I don't know how you can 'predetermine' how your hair will react.

'Trained' hair in my mind, is moderately heat damaged hair. Sounds like you were taking your hair to severely heat damaged, if you had 'ashed' hair all over the place, Napp. Most likely the already weak/damaged sections of your hair gave up the ghost, first.

Everyone's hair has different levels of heat tolerance - some people can use a lot (Pinkskates comes to mind) without any long term effect on their hair, and some can't without having an immediate long term effect on their hair. :look: Your hair is the final decider, and until you use heat on a regular, I don't know how you can 'predetermine' how your hair will react.

:yep:

Also, it depends on the regime. From the people I know with heat trained hair, they don't use any hardcore protein treatments because it causes more reversion and that is not what they want.

:yep:

Also, it depends on the regime. From the people I know with heat trained hair, they don't use any hardcore protein treatments because it causes more reversion and that is not what they want.

Interesting. I wonder how/where henna would fall with that line of thought....

I will have to agree with the ladies, it is damaged hair. I was a long term transitioner and it contributed to me having to cut more. See, it got to the point that I was using so much heat, I couldn't distinguish between the heat damaged hair and the relaxed ends that needed to go. In my honest opinion, it's not even worth it...or the split ends..

Back