BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

Umm,I think I'm ready to join this challenge.
Whew,it's taken me a while to get here. I'll fill out the questions later. On my phone right now. Also,I won't have a starting pic until sometime in December.

I'm in!

What is your goal date for BSL? Feb 2012 I think that's enough time lol

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I reached bsl before but I cut it because I was more focused on health and thickness. I've also become more scissor happy because I love nice looking ends.

Whats your current length? APL, I am 12 weeks post and I am in a sew in. I am taking my weave out this weekend and will post pics then

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc) . I stretch my relaxer, m&s, prtective styling ( I am in a weave right now). I usually wash my hair every 2 weeks, my reggie is real simple now.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc) I will stay disciplined but I will also wear it out a little more.

Last edited:
What is your goal date for BSL? Summer '12, I hope this is a realistic goal!

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I have never had BSL hair. I had actually given up on trying to grow my hair a few years ago when I was not able to achieve my desired length (apl at the time) at salons.

Whats your current length? APL when stretched

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Au Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
1. protective styling (mostly twists, buns)
2. Weekly washes & d.c.
3. Monthly clay mask
4. K.I.S.S.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? MMMM....I'm not sure yet. I may treat myself to a professional blow out. (From a trusted stylist of course). I've been thinking of doing YT videos too so I may actually upload a video, but I'm not making any promises.

What is your goal date for BSL? I may reach BSL by Dec 2011, but I won't be full and I plan on getting a major trim at the top of January to get rid of any remaining thin ends. My goal is full BSL by the end of March 2012.

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I have been full APL since August of 2010. BSL has been extremely elusive for me but I am determined to reach it with full healthy ends! This is the longest my hair has ever been in my life and I hope once I finally reach full BSL I will finally feel like my hair is long.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed straight, 4b

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? No direct heat, protective style with a sew in at the beginning of the year. I am projecting that when I remove my sew in, I will finally be full BSL.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Since the BSL milestone was so difficult for me to reach and full MBL is my final goal, when I reach BSL I plan to continue to go hard with protective styling and trim frequently to prevent the thin end syndrome I currently have. I'm hoping to reach MBL by the end of the year.

ETA: Pic will be added in December, just getting in early on this challenge.

I'm in!

What is your goal date for BSL?
I'm hoping to reach APL by March 2012, so ideally October 2012 for BSL

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)
I had big hair as a pre-teen but it was natural (never straightened) so I wasn't very conscious of the length. Started my journey at NL rather damaged and see-through. After several trims and a big one after my 5 month stretch ending in May I finally have healthy hair and a fresh start to pursue my journey. I think BSL is a sessi length and can't to reach it with my relaxed hair.

Whats your current length? CBL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed, looking to move into the texlaxed territory

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
- No heat styling
- Weekly pre-poo, wash and (steam) deep condition
- Fortnightly protein (Joico K-Pak reconstructor)
- Stretching my relaxers
- Protective styling (mainly buns and hairclips)
- Taking my vitamins and iron
- Working out 4/5x a week and consuming lots of protein

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
Cut a long side swept bang and get a bouncy rollerset. I will probably need to even out my layers. I also plan to enjoy my hair whilst achieving my other goals.

I don't have any really decent length check pics, but this was the result of my last touch up & trim on August 28th:

IMG00006201108281941-vi.jpg
IMG00009201108281947-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Starting point: CIMG0053.jpg
What is your goal date for BSL? August 2012:yay:
What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I was JUST touching BSL back in April but i had a crazy setback involving chi silk infusion and my fhi! So now im starting over.:nono:
Whats your current length? APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural color treated
Shampoo once a week withNatures Gate Biotin sulfate free Shampoo
co wash daily with Tresseme anti breakage, Aussie 3 min condish and giovanni deep condish or Organix coconut
Apply leave in giovanni direct or aussie
3 min as leave in
Diffuse on low heat and go
What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Flat iron for a length pic then back to the reggie on my way to mbl!:grin:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I AM SO IN THIS!!!! I am going to do the best I can to retain every inch so that I can make it to BSL by the end of 2012 (or dang near close!)

December 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? A major goal of mine is to reach BSL. Like so many other ladies, my hair has never been that long ever and I feel that it is the start of long hair.

Whats your current length?
SL and inching toward APL.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?
All natural baby.

Protective styling and low manipulation.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Going to treat myself to an expensive flat iron -- the Sultra Seductress. I want to do a nice press and show off. After that it's back to business as usual so I can continue my journey to WL and one day TBL.

Im so in....I could totally do BSL by next year given no setbacks.

December 2012....probably earlier

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?

I've never been BSL, nor has anyone else in my family, so this will encourage them that our hair can grow long

CBL

All Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

Keeping it Simple. Co-wash twice a week, Wash and go and protective style if i feel like it. Just being gentle with my hair.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? See how much longer I could grow it without relying on protective styling.

Pic coming soon

The end of september 2012

I big chopped over a year ago and my overall goal is just to see how long I can grow my hair. Bsb is just another stepping stone.

Full shoulder length

Natural

I'm revamping my reggie so I'll update on that later

I really want a hana elite so I guess that can be my treat.

I'll post a starting pic around christmas when I straighten again.

I'm in since I know I won't make it this year!

ETA:

Birthday month in August 2012.

I've been here too long to not reach BSL at least once. Every time i've been past APL something happens. So, it's my time to smarten up and reach this length!

Past SL, about 2" or less from APL.

Relaxed with Texlaxed strands if that makes sense.

Bun, Bun, and Bun some more! Moisturize my ends and seal. Deep condition with oils. Co-wash when my hair feels dry. Continue with eating healthy, playing sports and taking my vitamins (Centrum, Silica, and Ultra Hair Plus).

Swang it! Maybe go to the Aveda salon for colour. Maybe continue the journey to WSL & stop there.

Pic coming soon!

Last edited:
I’m in.....

Hopefully full BSL by March 2012 with no set backs.

I've never been BSL and it’s one step closer to my goal of MBL…

What’s your current length? APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?100% Natural

what’s your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( i.e. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
Well currently, my hair has been in 2-strand twist since July (I keep my twist in a bun and re-twist 1-2x a week), Co-wash 1x a week, DC 1-2x a week, Shampoo 1x week, Moisturize and seal 2-3x week and protein when needed. I will be moving out of the country to Switzerland in January so I will maintain a similar regimen; however, my PS of choice will be wigs until I reach BSL.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Try to make it to MBL by August 2012

I will take a starting pic over the weekend

Let's do it!!! :grin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 31st 2012

Not sure...between SL and APL

Natural all the way baby

Wwhats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

PS in weaves for mths or weeks at a time. Take down wash, DC and weave it up again. I did this for 16 mths and it got me from an inch to SL. Vitamins, and my staples WGO(WILD GROWTH OIL) MTEK

I'll wear it out more. i've ONLY worn my natural hair out once since BCing April 13th 2010. Will still be protective styling in buns tho and i maybe just maybe give myself a flat iron treat, and that will be my second time using heat on my natural hair
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I'm in :yep:!!

I'm going to give myself a lot of time: Dec 20, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

This will be my first time even trying to get to BSL.

Hopefully APL! :grin: I will find out today when I get my sew-in removed.

Natural

I will be straightening once every 1 1/2 - 2 months (this seems to help my ends). I will wear rollersets and twistouts when I'm not wearing my hair straight. I will also pin my hair up or wear buns to keep my hair off of my shoulders. From June - October of 2012 I will wear sew-ins. I will be drinking green or regular fruit smoothies throughout the week for breakfast (since I'm bad about skipping breakfast) and make sure I take my Whole Food vitamins, Fish Oil pills, and drink plenty water everyday. DC'ing will be done every wash day.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

I will stay disciplined and keep my routine (if it continues to work) and enjoy being BSL since I've never been BSL before!

Here's my starting Pic took this past wk'd (10/30/2011):

Attachments

• IMAG0239-1.jpg
    IMAG0239-1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0240-1.jpg
    IMAG0240-1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I've been waiting for this!

I'm hoping for full bsl by my 22nd birthday. (November 11, 2012)

I've never been longer than apl in my life. My family is from Ghana and they give me the side eye like crazy when I tell them that I'm going to grow my hair long.

What’s your current length? full shoulder length

half relaxed, half underprocessed. I'll be stretching till august, so by then it'll probably be closer to 1/3 new growth, 1/3 relaxed,and 1/3 underprocessed.

What’s your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?)
my hair will be hidden for most of the next year.
I'll be using crochet braids with extensions and box braids without extensions.
Wash and condition on Sundays with Joico, and leave it alone otherwise.
I will relax in August.

Follow the same process until I make midback length/waist length

Good luck ladies!

4ac6a4a4-6abe-1e68.jpg
after my last cut and relaxer in august 2011

I’m in.....

Hopefully full BSL by March 2012 with no set backs.

I've never been BSL and it’s one step closer to my goal of MBL…

What’s your current length? APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?100% Natural

what’s your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( i.e. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
Well currently, my hair has been in 2-strand twist since July (I keep my twist in a bun and re-twist 1-2x a week), Co-wash 1x a week, DC 1-2x a week, Shampoo 1x week, Moisturize and seal 2-3x week and protein when needed. I will be moving out of the country to Switzerland in January so I will maintain a similar regimen; however, my PS of choice will be wigs until I reach BSL.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Try to make it to MBL by August 2012

I will take a starting pic over the weekend

Starting Pic attached

Attachments

• oct length check.jpg
    oct length check.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 108
I'm in!!!

Aug 2012

It'll be my first time reaching BSL.

Currently about 1.5" from APL, hoping to be full APL by Jan 2012

Natural

Still trying to figure out a good reggie but once I do I will post it. My PS of choice is wet bunning and stretched bunning

I plan is to wear it in straight styles more often via rollersetting (once I get that down) and whipping it like I lost my mind!

**Please add a starting pic now or at least before Jan 1 2012

Will add a pic once I pick a bra and when the end of the year gets closer

Mini-update!! I claiming APL as of Oct. 2011!! (pic in siggy :)) I have maybe 3-3.5'' to BSB/BSL, so hopefully I will be there by my birthday in June.

Whohoo! I'm in! *does the Roger Rabbit*

What is your goal date for BSB?
December 2012

This is my first time EVER purposely growing my hair out. I have always kept it short. Now that I've started this HHJ, I want to grow it as long as I can stand to maintain it.

Just below APL

Natural

Lots of low mani/PSing with wigs, headwraps, braid/twist extensions and mini braids.

Using my old faithful KISSAyurCG method to retain as much as possible.

-Add ayurveda powders to poo and condish.
-M&S daily
-Protein followed by moisturizing DC at least once per week with heat
-Finish off this huge bottle GA oil eventually (sulfur/bhringaraj/horsetail/nettle root/cayenne pepper/peppermint oil/lavender oil/grapefruit oil in an EVOO base). Use it to grease my scalp approx 3 times per week.
-Low to no direct heat
-Wear "out" styles less than 5 times per month.

What do you plan to do once you make BSB?
Keep pushing on to bigger/longer lengths. I really want to see how big my BSB fro will be. Then it's back to business for bigger/longer hair.

IMG_0082.JPG

Last edited:
Full BSL by December 2012-- Graduation!

BC January 2010

SL, hoping to be APL by end of 2011

Natural

Reggie-
Monthly: Shampoo, DC, Blow Dry, Flat Iron
Weekly: Co-wash, Blow Dry
Nighly: Oil ends

Vitamins: Multi, Biotin, MSM

I'm wearing wigs 99% of the time right now, I hope to wear my hair out more once I reach BSL.

I'm Excited!

What is your goal date for BSL? My goal date for BSL will be exactly one year from today, Oct. 14. My goal date for APL is April 14.

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? My hair was somewhere about BSL to MBL when I was a child/pre-teen until I started experimenting with my hair WAY too much.

Currently, I am just beyond SL. (Avatar pic taken abt 9/21.) Will update with an "official" starting pic before the end of the year.

I am mostly natural, but I need 1 more trim to get rid of the last of my relaxed ends. Over 2 years since last relaxer.

Between now and the end of the year, I will be working on the details of my reggie and I will add updates.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? I will definitely be looking towards the next goal: MBL, but I will stop to celebrate someway :)

Attachments

• hairprogress.jpg
    hairprogress.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
MzSwift Based on the pictures you posted in the other thread of your growth in September it should take you no time to make it to BSL if your hair keeps growing at that rate! :yep:

Nov 2012. BSL with blunt cut ends!

My first long term goal was APL and I thought I could neverrr get my hair that long. My new hair goal is MBL before I graduate so BSL is the next stop!
APL is now short in my eyes. :spinning:

Touching APL, not full APL

Relaxed/Texlaxed...stalking the heat trainers

Sew-ins have given me the most progress. I moisturize every other day with braid spray or diluted conditioner. Keeping it simple.

*praise break* cry tears of joy! :lol:

I will post a starting pic next month.

June-August, 2012

this will be my first time getting to bsb as an adult. BC'd June, 2010 after an 8 month transition.

front is chin length ("bangs"), sides are collarbone-ish, back is apl-ish

natural.

Tresemme Naturals for cowash/conditioning, Neutrigena Clean shampoo every1-2 weeks, low/no heat, wash n gos, buns, puffs for style, wet hair daily for moisture, seal with shea butter mix. Pretty simple stuff.

Keep it movin' towards MBL, then WL :grin:

so i'm going to do hardcore ends hiding trial. will keep my ends hidden away for 2 weeks at a time...i wont even take them down rinse/condition days...but i will definitely still rinse/condition while my hair is "up"...my hair loves water & conditioner on it - (i wear twists by the way...and i will usually make two flat twists with them and use pins to hold them as a protective style)

i will use a spray to moisturize my hair (water, conditioner, castor oil)

once the two weeks is up, i'll take my hair down, do a full cleanse and the whole nine.

experimenting with ways to reduce manipulation and retain length. will try this for a while and see if this works out well with no issues.

and hopefully by december 31, when i post my starting pictures here...i'll be pleasantly surprised. hopefully...

haha.

Back