Brand: "especially Hair" Line

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Looks like this brand comes out of Boston. It looks like they have just 2 products as of today.

Trademark is "The Curly Hair Wash-and-Go Solution."

One product is their Moisture Foundation, their "premium deep treatment masque." In the video demo below, it is used as a moisturizer/styler. The ingredients look great pretty good okay. The price point? Not so much. :look:

INGREDIENTS:
Glycerin – Water (Aqua) – Butylene Glycol – Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil – Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Seed Oil – Acetic Acid (Organic Apple Cider Vinegar) – Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil – Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Behentrimonium Chloride – Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Dicetyl Phosphate (and) Ceteth-10 Phosphate – Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil – Fragrance – Dimethicone – Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Oil – Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) – Quaternium-91 (and) Cetrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol – Isopropyl Mystate – Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract – Carrageenan – Hydroxyethylcellulose – Chamomilla Recutita (Chamomile) Flower Extract – Verbascum Thapsus (Mullein) Leaf Extract – Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract – Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice – Phenoxyethanol.

Link: http://especiallyhair.com/collection/

Here is a video demo:

Last edited:
Is that the ingredient list for 1 product?!

:yep:

Yes! I'll have to research the ingredients by reading up on them at the Tightly Curly Ingredients page, the Dirty Dozen website, the Natural Haven scientific blog, and others. Carageenan is there but positionally low on the list.

Yes! I'll have to research the ingredients by reading up on them at the Tightly Curly Ingredients page, the Dirty Dozen website, the Natural Haven scientific blog, and others. Carageenan is there but positionally low on the list.
Smh. It doesn't take all that. I'm good. They can keep it.

Looks great in the video, but the price point cuts me out. I don't think they have a sample available, either. That cuts me out.

If it cost $20, I might bite after researching the ingredients. This is because I still have hardly achieved multiple-day moisture, and I'm always wondering: "Hmm. Maybe I need a DIFFERENT type product . . . "

I wrote in asking about the price point and lack of samples. If this one product truly replaces 3 products, it is STILL expensive: You will use it more and it will go faster.

I am really surprised at the price!

The owner wrote a very kind note back and said she is in the process of making samples available. A complimentary one is on the way.

I'll try to remember to review it, though I don't think most are interested in this products. :smile:

Update:

The smell. I haven't found a day to trial the sample because of the smell. It smells like . . . the way your hair smells after a strong-smelling perm, but with a little extra taint on it. :nono:

I have an extremely, extremely sensitive nose.

I don't know WHEN I'll have the "freedom" to deep condition with something that gives me a headache. And the whole point was that it was so multi functional that it could serve as a styler. In the words of Aretha, "Ain't no waaaaaayyyy . . ."

SO, SO glad this was a free sample.

Glycerin as the primary ingredient means you probably cannot use this pricey product year round.

I talked to the people. I straight confronted them about the PRICING. Why $4/ounce? They said, basically, "Our two products replace other products in your regimen."

Mmm. I'm skeptical. And now that I've smelled it, it's a deal breaker for me. Headache city! (I have an extremely sensitive system.) I know it doesn't smell as bad as the experience is for me and that this is not quite accurate, but the words "faint, spice, sour, and taint" all come to mind with the smell of this product FOR ME. Others may love it. I can't stand a lot of smells that other people find dreamy.

NaturallyQuinn used the product in the video below. She says it's a new fave of hers. I don't know how she's dealing with the smell! I have the sample and feel like I need to try it at least once just to SEE what it does to my hair, since the free sample is here and all. But the smell!

:laugh: LOL! The YouTuber below recommends it and didn't have a problem with the smell. She got compliments on her hair's smell. Maybe my nose is weird or my sample is rancid? I don't know! I'm still waiting for a good day to trial it when I can rinse it out immediately if I need to.

Okay, phew! I finally tried this product on a section of my hair.

This product made my hair feel and look AMAZING. My hair was the shiniest, most moisturized, softest, defined yet elongated it has EVER been.

However . . . the smell was SUPER strong. I asked husband to come up stairs and tell me what he thought of my hair's smell. Before he even got halfway up the staircase he called out, "Oh, no!" It gave me a headache within 15 minutes, and it was only on a small section of my hair. (Like, 1/24th of my hair). I washed it 3 times before the smell began to dissipate.

Maybe it's my sample or maybe it's mine and my spouse's noses, but I can't use this product. I am, however, really excited to find something else that does my hair the same way. I finally see how my hair SHOULD look and be: soft, manageable, elongated, defined, light, shiny . . . :yep:.

I was just about to post a thread on this but decided to do a search to see if there was already one. I have seen two reviews on this product that made me interested. Going to the site and seeing the price- like really?! What the freak is in this ish that makes this worth $35.00?! I looked at the ingredients and I really don't see anything special. Then it has the audacity to be only 8 oz! Not sure if being 16 oz would make it better.

I see @YvetteWithJoy you contacted them concerning the price and they told you because it can replace 2 products in your regimen. So freaking what!! A lot of products can supposedly do that now. That reason or any reason does not justify that price. I don't understand why anyone would want to use a deep conditioner as a leave in. A deep conditioner is meant to be left on the hair usually for no more 30 min and rinsed out. It kills me when a product say it can be used as a co wash, deep conditioner, and or a leave in. I could go on but I will stop here. I am really in my feelings.

@IDareT'sHair @PJaye @rileypak Have y'all tried this product? Lol Do y'all know of a dupe?

I was just about to post a thread on this but decided to do a search to see if there was already one. I have seen two reviews on this product that made me interested. Going to the site and seeing the price- like really?! What the freak is in this ish that makes this worth $35.00?! I looked at the ingredients and I really don't see anything special. Then it has the audacity to be only 8 oz! Not sure if being 16 oz would make it better.

I see @YvetteWithJoy you contacted them concerning the price and they told you because it can replace 2 products in your regimen. So freaking what!! A lot of products can supposedly do that now. That reason or any reason does not justify that price. I don't understand why anyone would want to use a deep conditioner as a leave in. A deep conditioner is meant to be left on the hair usually for no more 30 min and rinsed out. It kills me when a product say it can be used as a co wash, deep conditioner, and or a leave in. I could go on but I will stop here. I am really in my feelings.

@IDareT'sHair @PJaye @rileypak Have y'all tried this product? Lol Do y'all know of a dupe?

Funny you should post, @gorgeoushair.

I juuuuuuuust posted an update in the Random Hair Thinking thread. It's here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...nking-out-loud.541651/page-1209#post-23759087

I've copied and pasted my post from the Random Hair Thinking thread so that it will be collected with this thread:

Source: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...nking-out-loud.541651/page-1209#post-23759087

So, there was a time when NOTHING I did would moisturize my hair. During that time, I was a purchasing little somebody in a desperate search for ANYTHING that would work.

I promised this board that I would not purchase a product called Moisture Foundation by Especially Hair, but I didn't keep my promise and got a sample anyway. Well, I realized later that the sun might have gotten to my product during delivery, because that sample was rank-smelling. At the time I just thought it simply didn't smell good, and I put a little on my bang anyway. That's how desperate I was to find anything to moisturize my chronically dry hair.

My Moisture Foundation -drenched bang felt amaze-balls. My husband even commented on how juicy that section of my hair looked. So, I went to great lengths to see if there was anything that could be done about the crazy smell and just as crazy price. I was told "no" and "no." They explained how important their signature scent is to the product. I explained that my sample (which they provided to me special because they didn't have samples at the time) may have gotten rank during transit or something. They said that they would be considering making samples available in the future. I put Especially Hair out of my mind and continued searching for moisture.

So later Especially Hair sends me a long survey. I fill it out diligently, to provide answers as help for them as a company. I explain in very nice words that I will never purchase their product at such a crazy price: If it's bad, I'll be mad. If it's good, I won't be able to purchase/afford any more of it. So why even get started? LOL. When they asked me about other products I used, I mentioned the vendors I purchase from who work with me on the scent thing and charge waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less.

Fast forward a few months. So this past week I've been getting emails saying, "We're prepared to give you a lifetime 10% discount, but we're going up on the price." Mmkay. Then TODAY I get an email saying they are going to be working on the scenting, detangle-ability, and ease-of-application of their products. Stay tuned.

Um, no. Good luck with that, and buh bye.

Funny you should post, @gorgeoushair.

I juuuuuuuust posted an update in the Random Hair Thinking thread. It's here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...nking-out-loud.541651/page-1209#post-23759087

Thanks girl! I don't go in that thread often. I need to though. I see you said they were going up on the price. What the hell are they thinking? I don't really think that they are. Do they not think it's high enough? It's nice of them to offer you 10% off but even with that that ish is still high as heck.

How do you attach videos here?

Thanks @YvetteWithJoy for starting this thread. Lol

My pleasure. I keep seeing more and more great reviews. They emailed me and told me they are working on the formulation (scent, applicability, etc.). I wish them the best! :smile:

Here's one of the sisters from MyNaturalSistas demoing the DC. In her description details below her demo YouTube video she shares a discount code. I don't know if it's still working or how much the discount would be worth (looks like 20% off), but here's a link to her video demo:

Thanks girl! I don't go in that thread often. I need to though. I see you said they were going up on the price. What the hell are they thinking? I don't really think that they are. Do they not think it's high enough? It's nice of them to offer you 10% off but even with that that ish is still high as heck.

How do you attach videos here?

Yeah, that was MY thought. Going UP on the price? Whaaaat??? :lol:

To link a video, copy the address of the video from your BROWSER url box and paste it into your post.

Example: attps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51zL7i294-g is a youtube video's address, except it should start with https instead of attps.

I purposely replaced the https with attps so it would stay CODE so that you could see the code. But were I to change the attps to https, then instead of displaying the code, it would display/embed the video.

Hope that makes sense.

Here's the email they sent me, @gorgeoushair:

Hi Yvette,

We want to make sure that you saw our most recent communication sent out on Wednesday. Moisture Foundation was launched in NaturallyCurly.com and along with this great opportunity comes new responsibilities and expectations. As such, we have decided to increase the price of Moisture Foundation from $32 to $35 on www.EspeciallyHair.com, in order to maintain consistency with our retail partners.

However, don’t worry! We have a special offer for you below which includes a lifetime discount of 10% and a free shipping which is valid until this Sunday.

This is the communication from Wednesday:

Last week, we launched on NaturallyCurly.com the largest online platform for curly-haired people. For us, this launch is a confirmation that we are on the right track with Especially Hair!

NaturallyCurly editors tested Moisture Foundation and wrote the following:

"This treatment is unlike any you've tried!

Along with this great opportunity comes new responsibilities and expectations. As such, we have decided to increase the price of Moisture Foundation from $32 to $35 onwww.EspeciallyHair.com, in order to maintain consistency with our retail partners. However, don’t worry! We have a special offer for you below!

LIFETIME DISCOUNT
We truly value your early support and belief in us. Thus, we are providing you with a lifetime discount of 10% off of future purchases of Moisture Foundation.
Simply use Code: _____ when checking out and the 10% discount will be applied.

FREE SHIPPING
And, if you order before March 18, you can use Code: freeship17 to get free domestic shipping on top!

ORDER NOW
Thank you for choosing Especially Hair!

Lovely Greetings,

yH0FTxOZlh9VS03ATzN4Em-pXMWluXAlTZu4CQ1xXyxDDoWP2F3DA_zdd7z7j8wtRa5ws4hBilutabZ_KFF4SRdGdlio_QLkGeklVfgXMpcQqAbd7bhaRe3iq6JcXpnjbjLyRIkTv4lJJxWWOeVI0jj34MdnMp_xiKS0xTc=s0-d-e1-ft

I don't know these people and, at those prices, I never will. I've also become wary of product reviews after learning that many of them are now sponsored by the vendor. Besides, those ingredients don't appear to be overly special, particularly the cone, so a dupe or better will not be hard to find...:lol: @ do you know a dupe tho. :rofl: @ them offering a 10% discount as if it were a magnanimous gesture.

:spinning:

I don't know these people and, at those prices, I never will. I've also become wary of product reviews after learning that many of them are now sponsored by the vendor. Besides, those ingredients don't appear to be overly special, particularly the cone, so a dupe or better will not be hard to find...:lol: @ do you know a dupe tho. :rofl: @ them offering a 10% discount as if it were a magnanimous gesture.

At the bolded: Okaaaaay??? :look: :lachen:

I can't with them. I was like FOR REALS?!?????????

I saw this on Amazon. 12.00 for t2oz. I do struggle with dry hair I may give it a try. With Prime I get free shipping. Because of the acv I think it may work well on hi po hair.

If this works for your hair, and if it really is the only thing you need, I dont think it's all that expensive. I see people on this forum buying boatloads of products from hair boutiques that may or may not work, so it evens out in the end.

Back