Braids for below bra-strap hair?

KeyahGirl

Does anyone with hair at bra-strap or below get their hair braided (not necessarily microbraids or conrows, though) with extensions? I am from Philadelphia and have gone to three braiding places for consultations and all of them want to charge me extra for having long hair. They also say that they will need to special-order hair because the regular lengths won't cover it. One woman suggested that I get cornrows (no way, because that's how I lost my hairline two years ago) or a weave. I'm not big on weaves or wigs and I think braids look good on me, but two years ago, my hair was 10 inches shorter, so I didn't have this problem.

If anyone in Philly has suggestions for where to go to get braids, I'd be appreciative. Thanks! (The places I went to were Duafe in North Philly, a place called Dion Gama right near Jewelers Row in center city, and Masama's, in West Philly right off 47th and Baltimore)

Last edited:
I'm not in or near Philly, but from what I know about braiding with extensions, the hair can be fed in as the braid progresses, which should negate the need for "special ordered hair." Also, for many braiders, it seems as though mid-neck to shoulder length is where their long hair charges begin. :perplexed

Look up Lela's Braiding on Market Street http://www.lelasbraiding.com. I don't think you should have any problems.

KeyahGirl said:
Does anyone with hair at bra-strap or below get their hair braided (not necessarily microbraids or conrows, though) with extensions? I am from Philadelphia and have gone to three braiding places for consultations and all of them want to charge me extra for having long hair. They also say that they will need to special-order hair because the regular lengths won't cover it. One woman suggested that I get cornrows (no way, because that's how I lost my hairline two years ago) or a weave. I'm not big on weaves or wigs and I think braids look good on me, but two years ago, my hair was 10 inches shorter, so I didn't have this problem.

If anyone in Philly has suggestions for where to go to get braids, I'd be appreciative. Thanks! (The places I went to were Duafe in North Philly, a place called Dion Gama right near Jewelers Row in center city, and Masama's, in West Philly right off 47th and Baltimore)

balisi said:
I'm not in or near Philly, but from what I know about braiding with extensions, the hair can be fed in as the braid progresses, which should negate the need for "special ordered hair." Also, for many braiders, it seems as though mid-neck to shoulder length is where their long hair charges begin. :perplexed

Exactly! I dont know what they're talking about..... every braider i know has always extended the hair by adding in pieces. Im not beyond BSL, but im about that, and thats what they have to do when i get individuals or cornrows.

As far as paying extra, you may just have to expect that wherever you go, as it is certainly more work for them as your hair gets longer.

Back