BLACK HAIR CARE VS. WHITE HAIR CARE - which do YOU prefer?

How does your hair respond to black vs. white products?

• "White" products work for me i.e. Nexxus

Votes: 100 26.4%
  • "Black" prodcuts work best for me

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • I can use both

Votes: 255 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NaturalBoss

"White" products do well on my hair relaxed, texlaxed and natural. "Black" products of poor quality are or no use to me. Quality Black products perform as well as "White" ones but, tend to be more expensive. While natural, however, very few "White" styling products fit the bill -shampoos and conditioners were not an issue. When it comes to styling agents for natural hair "Black" products are the clear favorite, as far as my mane is concerned.

I forgot to mention that I only use "black" gel. Eco Styler is the best for my hair. Nothing else works.

bkprincesa

Hmm... Interesting posts ladies.
For me, I'm finding that the products that were for "white" hair work better.
Since I started (intentionally transitioning) in May I've only used products by Aussie, Garnier Fructis and Neutrogena.

The only "black" hair product I use is a moisturizer by Optimum. And I'm gonna keep on using it cuz that's the only thing that works!

butter_pecan

Well I personally feel there are some differences in the ingredients and I have found that Italian and Spanish products work best on my hair. For some reason it seems that some of the Black haircare products have some harsher combinations of ingredients, as if we need it because of the courseness of our hair. I do like some ethnic products from the Cream of Nature line though. I am still discovering Kera Care line.

And what people keep failing to realize is that our hair needs babying the most.

Celestial

White hair products definately work better for my hair overall. I do use some black hair products on other people's hair (pink creme by gold medal) and I use Proclaim serum from Sally's beauty supply which is the best serum for black hair if you ask me. I find black hair products to be either greasy or drying and less penetrating. I always saw the difference in black hair product and white hair products and they are not the same.

Tene

I use black haircare products online such as Afroveda, Blended Beauty, Darcy's Botanicals, etc. The only black hair product I use out the store is Eco Styler and IC Fantasia. Those cheap black hair products at the bss don't work for me. If I do use white haircare products it's V05, Aubrey Organics, Giovanni, Redken, Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, etc. Those work better on my hair than the cheap black hair products.

NikStarrr

As far as conditioners--I use "white" products. They work best for me. For styling I use mostly natural products, but the items that aren't natural are usually "black" products like Fantasia IC gel.

beans4reezy

I use both. Those considered "black" products: ORS, Hairveda, Qhemet and White Aussie Moist, WEN, V05 Conditioners.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Can and Do you Both.:yep:

While I have a wide variety of Salon Products, I also have things like SheScentIt, Hairveda, Qhemet, BeeMine, Afroveda, Mizani etc....in my Stash as well.:grin:

Not too many Drug Store or Beauty Store Products at all (any more).:ohwell:

With the exception of V05 and Suave for Henna Rinse-Out.

Queen_Earth

I look at the back check the ingredients cross check with the LHCF database and then make a decision--that strategy hasn't failed me yet!

lilanie

I love my creme of nature/lekair; but I went to the Paul Mitchell School/Salon yesterday and all what they used made my hair sooooooo soft.

My hair has never felt like that - I need to get some of those products

sillygirl82

I voted both. I will use whatever works for my hair. Hairveda products and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is what you will find in my bathroom.

However, I'm now seeing what a lot of ladies have mentioned on this board. I try to buy HE hh conditioner whenever it is on sale and I buy 2 at a time. A black lady in the aisle kept looking at me like I was crazy because I wasn't in the "black folk's section" of the aisle. I don't think people realize how persuasive marketing can be.

Last edited:

Lyoness

I prefer white products and so does my hair..I use a mixture of the two and just pick up/use whichever is handier

equestrian

Well over on boards such as longhaircommunity, which is mostly people with 1a-2c hair, they do a lot of the same things like co-washing, coconut oil treatments, oiling.

I personally love Herbal Essences hydralicous in the purple bottle. It's Soooo moisturizing I'm in love. I will buy it as long as they make it.

Curlykale

I use slightly more "white" products because I live in Europe, I like natural products and that's what I find. But I use them differently: I buy conditioners for "non black" hair and I use them as daily moisturizers. I use much more conditioner than a white person would do, and in more ways, and I use a "non black" shampoo to clarify only.

This is possible because now I have information and use my own techniques. When I knew nothing about my hair and I had no products marketed for my hair type around, I tried all the existent drugstore products and had setbacks all the time without knowing why.

I wish I could try more natural products created for my own hair type, though. The research would be easier. Unfortunately the "black" products that I find here have mineral oil, which my hair hates.

I'm starting to think that when a product is really good it should work on all hair types and everybody should be able to use it in his/her own way.

Last edited:

kittykhat

I do what works for me. That being said, I use both. Whatever works. But I have realized that a lot of black products stink. :ohwell:

Nasdaq_Diva

No Indian Hair Care Option?? Thats what I use mostly.

As far as 'white' products, I use suave, tresemme, HH stuff like that. Black hair care is Scurl mostly.

Tiye

I do what works for me. That being said, I use both. Whatever works. But I have realized that a lot of black products stink. :ohwell:

Ummm they don't smell very good in the main aisle either.

Or rather it's obviously a matter of personal preference but when shampoo lines smell like cheap laundry detergent ... and it's overpowering to boot - to me that's not a good smell.

sensi sweetie

Im alll about the ingredient list, so thats is what I look at when choosing products. I could care less who the product is marketed toward. Its all about the insides baby ;)

kizzylonghair

Ladies,

Most 'black hair' products for relaxed hair anyway are like a stuck record, you need something for breakage...contains PROTEIN, you need something for moisture contains PROTEIN, then we have to keep buying cuz our hair is still breaking and we dont know why as we have brought products that are supposed to help :lachen:
MOST of them just DONT seem to understand our hair

Thats what happen to me, before I found these board, I would not of dreamed to touch a 'White' product but now my mix is 60/40.

I find I have to dig a little deeper in my pocket for my QUALITY black products though:wallbash: But its worth it

Another thing that really annoys me is some of the Gimmicky fads that pass through the 'black world' that are hailed as the best thing put kill our hair

My Favourite after Pink Oil:lachen: is Lets Jam (back to the old school:yep:)
I wont lie, I was slicking my sides down EVERY morning!!

Although they claim it has no wax, grease or Alcohol, Can someone please review the ingrediants list and tell me how this can be CONDITIONING anything!:lachen:

Aqua/Water, Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil, Oleth-5, Glycerin Peg-24 Hydrogenated Lanolin, Peg-12, Oleth 20, Cetyl Acetate, PPG-5- Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Peg-75, Parfum/Fragrance, Polyquaternium-6, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Limonene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Salicylate, Triethanolamine, Butylphenyl Menthylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxalhehyde, Geraniol, Linalool,, amyl Cinnamal, CI 19140/Yellow 5, CI 16035 / Red 40. F.I.L. D10499/1

Owned by SoftSheen-Carson the same pep who run Dark & Lovely or should I say DRY & CRISPY

Just to balance this, dont get me start on the L'Oreal advert where Beyonce has curly hair (We know its a lace front), puts some wet product on her hair, drags out her curling irons and then its bone straight...EM Whatever!!!!!:grin:

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

Actually, a white person suggested I use Joico on my Natural hair...I have been hooked ever since. However, my hair producs are about 40% "I guess-white products" (VO5, Joico, Herbal Essences, I'm about to get some Kenra, CHI, Giovanni, Hair One), 40% African-American targeted products (CON, ORS, Taliah Waajid, Cantu, and others...) 20% and natural products (Oils, ACV, Black Tea, glycerin, etc)...I guessed the percentages, but when I think about it...It may be more evenly distributed across the board.

My hair is Natural 3C/4AB, fine, dense, spongy when dry.