Big Chops is it just a fad???

TonicaG said:
I don't like how I look when my roots get puffy and I have a decent grade it's just that going natural isn't for ME.

Hair has no grades. It's not something you have to pass or fail. Regarding your puffy roots, the look of new growth is always distorted by the chemically straightened hair which is not only dead, but broken down. New growth will always look rudely healthy contrasted with that, and it's not something eveyone can deal with.

Natural hair is not a fad, it's a continuum of women coming to their senses, that grows in numbers each year. Natural hair is what comes out of your head, it's a gift that so many women refuse, because they don't believe they are beautiful with it or that anyone could consider them beautiful unless they break it down with harsh chemicals to try to match the straight haired caucasian look.

If dominant culture said that straight pubic hair was 'It', would you smear caustic chemicals on your tender parts and ask if kinky pubes were a fad? At some point, you gotta own and celebrate what you have.

@ the OP, you didn't offend me; we all come here with our own set of beliefs.

Last edited:
Hair has no grades. It's not something you have to pass or fail. Regarding your puffy roots, the look of new growth is always distorted by the chemically straightened hair which is not only dead, but broken down. New growth will always look rudely healthy contrasted with that, and it's not something eveyone can deal with.

Natural hair is not a fad, it's a continuum of women coming to their senses, that grows in numbers each year. Natural hair is what comes out of your head, it's a gift that so many women refuse, because they don't believe they are beautiful with it or that anyone could consider them beautiful unless they break it down with harsh chemicals to try to match the straight haired caucasian look.

If dominant culture said that straight pubic hair was 'It', would you smear caustic chemicals on your tender parts and ask if kinky pubes were a fad? At some point, you gotta own and celebrate what you have.

@ the OP, you didn't offend me; we all come here with our own set of beliefs.

:thumbsup::clapping::clap::goodpost:

InBeforeTheLock.gif

And that's all I have to say.

Maybe Ot but not really.

I ran into my brothers ex yesterday and I didn't recognize her.
She used to have SL, straw-like, thin hair and used a flat iron like a comb with no protection everyday. Her bathroom was littered with broken off blond strands, nasty!

Now she had short ear length wavy hair, maybe 2c and she was exicited.

I asked why she cut her hair, after the expected compliment, and she said that she had to because her hair was fried from years of abuse.

"I had to start over so I just cut it off. It was hard but can you believe how curly my hair is? I can't wait until it grows long again!" She had a huge grin on her face, just having discovered the "real her".

So white women bc too.

I think when you experiment there are no failures or fads as long as you are focused on your final goal, which is knowing what is better for you and giving yourself the maximum amount of available options. If you give yourself time and solve all of your doubts, you'll be happy to have experimented anyway.

Many lifetime choices start as experiments, or with an inspiration. The big chop requires that you already have good motivations to do it as it's sudden and extreme, so it has more chances to become a lifetime choice. Plus, putting away your idea of beauty for a moment in order to see what nature has for you is fascinating... The more I stay natural, the more motivations I find to stay natural.

It's one more choice / option and it comes with the whole process.

Last edited:
:look: :ohwell:

So is the above an example of you delivering your opinion with kindness and warmth? Came across as needlessly divisive to me. The bold text above is very distasteful and hypocritical.

If one has been on the board almost since it's inception like OP has (LHCF was started on this domain in 2003 or 2002, iirc) then you really should know better. She may not know all there is to know about hair but where it pertains to attitudes to hair texture she should know better. Even if she hasn't read certain threads or had it directly explained to her before, the fact there is so many diverse textures and plenty of naturals on this board should have been enough to keep those comments to herself. This thread was extremely ill-conceived. I could understand if OP was a newbie and a child but she isn't. There were ways to find out what she wanted (e.g - the reason behind the increased amount of naturals/if present naturals wanted to stay this way for life) without people winding up giving this thread the side-eye because she allowed her own negative personal feelings about natural hair to shine right on through.

Also just because some may have heard the term "hair grade" before IRL doesn't mean that it's a word they're cool with or don't find objectionable even in their off-line life. And just because you used to hold onto these ignorant views, doesn't mean others did too by the way. Regardless, I should think there have been enough neutral toned responses for her to be "enlightened".

I respect your point of view. I guess I may have come across as defensive and maybe even offensive. I apologize.

However I still stand on the fact that we need to be more gentle in our approach and tone, regardless of rather we feel someone should know better or not. Also I never said EVERYONE held on to ignorant views on hair type, I said we all have HEARD it before and people need to stop acting shocked when it's repeated.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up... :rolleyes:

I'm relaxed. Hear me roar.

Disclaimer: I'm not attacking you. I agree with you. I'm just stating my feelings on the bolded :grin:

That is sooo sad to me. Everybody doesn't understand how to be themselves. They find their own bodies to be foreign to them. What a sad state of affairs! SMMFH!! :nono:

I hope it doesn't get locked before the OP comes back to answer my question.

Because I still want to know OP:

I stand by my question and am very curious OP :) Your answer would be greatly appreciated.

I could totally understand your post, and I'd agree with most of it IF the OP was a newbie. But you mean to tell me you've been here for 6 going on 7 years, and you haven't learned how these threads go, particularly with the way the OP was phrased? I'm sorry to sound somewhat cynical, but the original post came off as somewhat inflammatory (no offense if it wasn't mean to be OP). I wish the original poster would come back in to clarify what she meant.

Some people have been in America all their lives and still can't speak English...
(Shrug)

I noticed the increased bc and transitioning to natural also.. was also wondering if people were jumping on a bandwagon.. To each its own.. Good Luck to you ladies............

I've noticed that a whole lot of ladies are doing the big chop to get rid of all of the chemical to go natural, but I'm curious to know if this is just a fad and at some point will they say "I'm ready to go back to relaxing, I've had enough"?

To each her own, I'm not knocking natural hair by any means but I don't like how I look when my roots get puffy and I have a decent grade it's just that going natural isn't for ME.

Just a thought...

Well for me, I did the BC by accident after noticing that my relaxed hair was beyond repair to do the transition. My hair as a result is healthier than ever, I have no more dandruff, it's softer, I'm having the fun with tying different wigs. (I've earn my nickname Wiggy at work with pride) and When my anniversary in Oct comes up, I can say hey I made it to one year and I can do this. I don't think I'll ever go back to relaxing.

Back