Bible Trivia...Want to Play!?

momi

I say correct but honestly #1 is a new one on me... makes perfect sense!

We serve an awesome God!

Laela you are up next!

momi

13 "Enter through the narrow gate, because the gate is wide and the way is spacious that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.

Matthew 7:13

momi

The city of David is Jerusalem which is close to Bethlehem.

I'm no scholar but 1 Samuel 17:12 and Luke 2:4 indicate Bethlehem as David's Birthplace and that is why it is commonly referred to as the City of David...

"Now David was the son of an Ephrathite of Bethlehem in Judah, named Jesse, who had eight sons."

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David..." Luke 2:4

auparavant

@momi

Thanks for this perspective. I hadn't realized that christians called it Bethlehem. I always associated the great city of King David with Jerusalem as this was where his reign was. Causing me to search more and for possible meanings and emphasis, I came across the New International Version as

Luke 2:4

New International Version (NIV)

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David.

I was always associating it with the town he conquered to become the city of his reign. This was important to put into perspective for many reasons...1)christians associate the "house of bread" with the Davidic line leading to the Jesus and 2)Jerusalem is the eternal city for Jews and christians alike. Bethlehem is not far from Jerusalem. On one hand, the association of importance with Jerusalem as belonging to the reigning King and King of Kings...and on the other, the little sleepy town that issued in the messianic period. Reminds one kinda of the scripture:

John 1:46
"Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked. "Come and see," said Philip.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Good discussion. I'm not scholar either, but from my understanding Jerusalem also was called the city of David:

2 Samuel 5
6 And the king and his men went to Jerusalem against the Jebusites, the inhabitants of the land, who spoke to David, saying, “You shall not come in here; but the blind and the lame will repel you,” thinking, “David cannot come in here.”
7 Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion (that is, the City of David)...
9 Then David dwelt in the stronghold, and called it the City of David. And David built all around from the Milloand inward.
10 So David went on and became great, and the Lord God of hosts was with him.

As king, David finally was able to bring the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem:

2 Samuel 6:
12 Now it was told King David, saying, “The Lord has blessed the house of Obed-Edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.” So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with gladness.

Hebrew scholars believe Bethlehem to be the City of David, and where he was anointed king. God sent Samuel there to annoint him as the chosen one (1 Samuel 16):
And Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him. For we will not sit down till he comes here.” 12 So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking. And the Lord said, “Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!” 13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel arose and went to Ramah.

According to 2 Samuel 2: 1-4, David was anointed in Hebron as king of Judah and then again as King of all Israel by the elders in 2 Samuel 5:1-5 ; but with God doing the choosing, make sense he had already been anointed king of all Israel in Bethlehem as a kid.

Last edited:

momi

Thanks auparavant and Laela... I really enjoy studying God's Word!

Okay, the question is still open though...there is another event Bethlehem is known for that hasn't been mentioned. I am sure there are many but there is one I have in mind.

Laela

to keep it going....

Bethlehem was where David was born; where Jesus was born and near where Jacob's beloved Rachel was buried:
Gen. 35:19
So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).

It's also where Naomi is from ... (Ruth 1-4)
she had left for Moab during a famine and returned to Bethlehem, with Ruth in tow. That's where Obed, Ruth's son was born, to Boaz. Obed was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

Thanks @auparavant and @Laela... I really enjoy studying God's Word!

Okay, the question is still open though...there is another event Bethlehem is known for that hasn't been mentioned. I am sure there are many but there is one I have in mind.

momi

to keep it going....

Bethlehem was where David was born; where Jesus was born and near where Jacob's beloved Rachel was buried:
Gen. 35:19
So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).

It's also where Naomi is from ... (Ruth 1-4)
she had left for Moab during a famine and returned to Bethlehem, with Ruth in tow. That's where Obed, Ruth's son was born, to Boaz. Obed was the father of Jesse, the father of David.

Exactly right - +1

Laela you are up next! :spinning:

Laela

Pontius Pilate had an inscription written saying, "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews," and put it on the cross above Jesus.

In what three languages is this incription written?

MrsHaseeb

Why did Judah state Tamar was "more righteous" than him?

I was just studying this. If I understand correctly, verse 26 of chapter 38 tells us why he said that. From my understanding the 3rd son had come of age and he had not given her to him to marry and have children. Doesn't seem like he ever actually intended to but was deceitful. She owned what she did although her actions were sinful. That's my understanding so far. I'd like to hear other people's understandings as well.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

momi

I was just studying this. If I understand correctly, verse 26 of chapter 38 tells us why he said that. From my understanding the 3rd son had come of age and he had not given her to him to marry and have children. Doesn't seem like he ever actually intended to but was deceitful. She owned what she did although her actions were sinful. That's my understanding so far. I'd like to hear other people's understandings as well.

I agree - I believe he felt she was more righteous because she shamed herself in order for her to receive what was rightly hers by law. While he skirted his responsibility by spilling his seed and not giving her an heir.

Last edited:

MrsHaseeb

Numbers 12

Why do you guys think God afflicted Miriam with leprosy instead of another disease?

Laela

Yes that's my understanding as well momi.... :yep:

I agree - I believe he felt she was more righteous because she shamed herself in order for her to receive what was rightly hers by law. While he skirted his responsibility by spilling his seed and not giving her an heir.