Best Protective Styles for Hair Retention for Neck Length Hair

AvaSpeaks

Okay I have a question. What are some good protective styles for people who are currently Neck Length and what to get longer. I see so many great goals for SL hair or BSL but I am just trying to get my hair to CBL or longer than it's ever been.

So again, what are some good protective styles for us Neck Length girls. And who has gotten longer hair doing protective styles when they started off Neck Length.

And I'm natural so I would also like to hear styles that are good for natural hair, thanks :strong:

Twists, plaits, finger coils.

You can do some low-manipulation styles at this stage too: twistouts, braidouts, coilouts.

I did mostly twistouts until I got to APL. Then it was mostly twists.

HTH!

Twists and twist outs. Definitely.

Yeah I had been doing the twists for a long time so I was just wondering was there anything else that I could do.

Because I know with the Relaxed hair, I figured it was easier to do a roll or a bun but I am having trouble with the bunning and french rolls simply because I am too scared to brush my hair into place :yawn: I mean that might do the trick but I am just wondering.

So with the twists, I'm assuming you are constantly moisturizing the ends daily but do I have to co-wash daily as well with the twists or not?

cornrows and wigs.. thats what i have been doing and plan to do so til i reach at least apl...cuz my haif is growing very fast and retaining all the length

I'm neck length and relaxed but I'm in the same boat. I'm using more heat than I would like unless I'm in braids. I get bored with them after a few weeks though. My husband hates my phony bun but I want to keep my hair protected. I keep it rollerset and that's about it.

I wish I could just click my fingers and go from NL to SL!Lol!

I currently use wigs and my natural hair is in box braids sometimes I cornrow.

I know! And I was reading Chicoro's book and she had listed that NL to SL was one of the fastest growing points! I was like, in who's world :blush:

Okay here are two questions;

Is there anybody on the board that has gone from NL to CBL or SL by doing their protective styles and

How long did it take?

Also, make sure you mention if you are Natural or Relaxed, that makes a difference.

Hmm....

I wear wigs, phony ponies, and phony buns. I also keep my hair braided up from time to time.

I don't wear my hair out too often either and prefer to wear low manipulation styles so I wear bantu knot sets or flexi-rod sets quite a bit. :yep:

Lemme think back... :scratchch ... I was neck length at about 1 year into my HHJ. At that time I wore Crown & Glory braids. :yep: I found the time between neck and shoulder to be very fast.

ETA: wigs are an excellent way to protective style as well. Lots of people are afraid to try wigs because they think about how awful they used to look back when we were kids and granny used to wear them. They are a whole new world nowadays, looking very realistic and stylish. :up:

Last edited:
I bun my hair and double bun and im neck length. It's a baby bun but it's kinda messy but thats how I like my hair. and I wear bangs to give it some pizzazz

I honestly don't protective style... I primarily wear low-manipulation styles... mostly rod-sets and twist-outs...

After I BC'd I was about EL and I made it to SL in the 6mos. In the summer I did a lot of WNG puffs, then twists/twistouts for the fall & winter. You can also do braid outs.

To me the key is to keep the hair stretched to prevent SSK and off my clothes to stop breakage.

bumping. I also have the same problem. I start an internship in June I am eight weeks post and I dont want to relax:look:. I am thinking a half wig might do the trick. ITA nl to sl is taking me forever even though I think I have good hair practices

I know! And I was reading Chicoro's book and she had listed that NL to SL was one of the fastest growing points! I was like, in who's world :blush:

Okay here are two questions;

Is there anybody on the board that has gone from NL to CBL or SL by doing their protective styles and

How long did it take?

Also, make sure you mention if you are Natural or Relaxed, that makes a difference.

I went from bald to collar bone length in 1 year by keeping my hair in braids (micros that weren't too tight or small) I'll continue to wear braids because they're just easy for me, but I did have some serious dead ends after taking out the last set, so make sure you moisturize! After this last trim I'm shoulder length again.

Are any of you ladies trimming when you get to say Collarbone Length? Or when you have more than 10 inches on your head?

I have no clue how many in. I have on my head but one side of my hair was right below nl so I snipped snipped so my ends could be even so now I am at full nl.

For some reason I always thought that shorter hair was a PS in itself (actually, I think I read it somewhere on here)...meaning that as long as u kept the hair moisturized, it would be easy to retain length as long as you kept manipulation low. So would there be a real need for special PS when your hair isn't rubbing against your clothing? :perplexed IDK...I went from NL to SL in about 3-4 months just because I made sure that my ends never rubbed on my shirts. Once I got to shoulder that's when I started with the bunning, twist outs, pin ups, etc.

OP-I would say that if you are just looking for "something", you should be good with braids, half wigs, or phony ponies

What's SSK?

Single strand knots - natural hair tends to curl under itself and knot up at the ends which eventurally causes the hair to break.

OP - I know you wanted to try some new styles, but honestly I think whatever you do that is low manipulation and moisturizing will be good. I wore my hair in twist, twist outs and wash-n-go's during that time and it was no problem.

Good luck!

For some reason I always thought that shorter hair was a PS in itself (actually, I think I read it somewhere on here)...meaning that as long as u kept the hair moisturized, it would be easy to retain length as long as you kept manipulation low. So would there be a real need for special PS when your hair isn't rubbing against your clothing? :perplexed IDK...I went from NL to SL in about 3-4 months just because I made sure that my ends never rubbed on my shirts. Once I got to shoulder that's when I started with the bunning, twist outs, pin ups, etc. (...)
I agree. EL to NL hair is so brand new that it should not yet be fragile from (years of) combing and/or chemical run-off. For ladies who are having trouble reaching shoulder length, I suspect the issue doesn't lie with protective styling or a lack thereof. It might be more useful to assess technique, handle hair more gently, and so on.

Also I wouldn't recommend bunning before APL as the excess pulling, smoothing, & brushing to get shorter hair into a ponytail creates undue stress on the the hairline. When I hit SL, I wore peacock twists and Serenity Breeze/Southern Tease type updos.

Back