Ayurveda Support Thread

I love Chandrika soap! Always used it for the bath, so let me know how you like it for the hair.

As for growth, since I started the Ayurvedic regimen last November, it has straightened out my new growth. I have always used it as a marker for my hair growth, timing of TU's, but I can no longer do so. Since I airdry or rollerset, it has been hard to check length. I attempted a check in January, here's a comp for Nov 2007 and Jan 2008:

Hair is a few weeks post and blown out and flat ironed.

Hair is about 13 weeks post, rollersert, with a back portion blown straight.

I truly suck at taking back shots of my hair, and I know these aren't the best comp pics, but I think I got a little growth in a couple months, but nothing spectacular that I can attribute to the Indian products. My shockaroos were the change in texture and appearance of darker richer hair. Oh, and my hair feels a lot denser or heavier, too.

Did I just get a bad bar or does the Shikakai soap really smell that offensive? It smelled like a urinal to me and I chucked it!!

Hi everyone!

I have some tips for some of you that may be having problems with hard hair when using Ayurvedic products. I have finally found a regimen that works for me, so here are some things that I have done that really helped. My hair does not get hard at all anymore when any mixture is in my hair, it is soft the whole way through.

Strain everything.

This sounds like common sense, but my dumb self used these mixtures straight :nono: Since I like to make my own teas, rinses, and oils from powders, it really helps to strain it before you use it.

Use 40:60 ratio of water and oil to make mixtures.

All of the rinses and teas I use in my hair are strained, and heavily diluted with oil and water. I still get the benefit of the powders without getting this stuff stuck in my hair. I tried making pastes but that just does not work at all. The more diluted the mixture, the better. The consistency is very watery.

Add these teas and rinses to oiled hair.

I know a lot of you oil your hair overnight with coconut oil or amla oil. I suggest not washing out the oil before adding the teas and rinses to your hair. It does not prevent the teas/rinses from working, and keeps your hair pliable and easy to work with, acting like a "buffer" against the mixtures.

Big thanks to Whimsy :drunk: She suggested that I do the overnight oil treatment on dry hair as opposed to wet/damp hair. It really does work better. Although my hair uses a lot more oil when dry than when wet, my hair felt much softer doing it this way. Thanks, Whimsy!!

With that being said, here's my regimen. It's very low-maintenance and very very simple.
  1. Apply Ayurvedic oil mixture to dry, dirty hair for 1 hour-overnight.
  2. Apply Ayurvedic wash mixture to my hair for an hour (don't rinse out the oil that was in your hair previously).
  3. Rinse out the Ayurveda wash mixture for 5 minutes with hot water.
  4. Deep condition.
  5. Rinse out with cold water.
  6. Airdry.
I just named them this cuz I dunno what else to call them :look::spinning: Nothing special, just a whole bunch of oils/powders that I mixed together.

Ayurvedic oil mixture: Dabur Amla Oil, Parachute Coconut Oil, Vatika Coconut Oil, Dabur Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Shikakai Oil

Ayurvedic wash mixture: I mix henna powder, indigo powder, amla powder, shikakai powder, neem powder and ritha powder in a bowl, maybe 2 tablespoons of each. Add 3 cups of water and let this sit overnight. The next day, strain it very well and add 2 cups of the Ayurvedic oil mixture. Pour this mixture in a bottle and use it as needed. This last me 6-8 washes. The only time I get in the shower is to rinse out the conditioner, I hate jumping in and out of the shower.

I will be adding more oils and powders as I buy more things :grin: I just get the benefit from everything by mixing them all together, no need to do separate treatments. I hope this helps you guys out.

Remember, K.I.S.S.!!!!!

Kiesha,
How do you store this mixture? I made it this morning and I would like to know if I need to keep it in the fridge or not.

I used it and my hair is air drying now. I think my hair is darker. I didn't add the indigo because I like the red tint that I get from henna. My hair is soft and it was not tangled like it usually is. I am trying to find bhringraj, but I haven't had any luck with that yet. Ayurveda seems to be a keeper thus far.

Kiesha,
How do you store this mixture? I made it this morning and I would like to know if I need to keep it in the fridge or not.

I used it and my hair is air drying now. I think my hair is darker. I didn't add the indigo because I like the red tint that I get from henna. My hair is soft and it was not tangled like it usually is. I am trying to find bhringraj, but I haven't had any luck with that yet. Ayurveda seems to be a keeper thus far.

Sent you a pm :drunk:

Yup! :yep: I keep it in the fridge tightly closed and the day I plan on washing my hair I take it out so it's warmer when I get home to use it.

It's still a little cold, so sometimes I pour some out and warm it up in my "designated Ayurveda pot" or just use it as-is...BRRRR. I've gotten used to it...it's not that bad :spinning:

I'm so happy to hear that Ayurveda worked for you!! You will be happy when you find bhringraj. According, to CandyC, it's pretty moisturizing.

I picked up Cantharidine Golden Oil from my local Indian store and my hair loves it.
This oil leaves my hair soft and is very light,has a perfume smell not bad at all.
I read it good for hair loss ,work best combined with coconut and alma oil.

[/LIST] Did this last night and I love it. With the exception of rinsing with cold water
36_1_25.gif
This is how Ill do it from now on Thanks Keisha, Whimsy and everybody. I am so loving this Ayurveda thingy!!!!

Are you guys serious? Rinsing with COLD WATER? I sure hope noone ends up with ARTHRITIS in the head down the road? Gives me cold chills just thinking about it!!!lol. I am assuming you are living in a very hot country where the water does not get cold like it does in America and Canada, right?

Are the color changes from these products permanent or does the color revert if you stop using? and about how many washes does that take if they are not permanent?

Are the color changes from these products permanent or does the color revert if you stop using? and about how many washes does that take if they are not permanent?

That's what I want to know.

And what is going to happen in the summertime?

For those of you who bought boxes of Amla/Shikakai/whatever powder, how do you store the rest of the powder once the box is opened?...do you just leave it in the plastic and keep it in the box or are you putting in something else?....TIA

For those of you who bought boxes of Amla/Shikakai/whatever powder, how do you store the rest of the powder once the box is opened?...do you just leave it in the plastic and keep it in the box or are you putting in something else?....TIA

Usually the powder comes in a bag in the box. So I usually put that bag in a ziploc bag and put both back in the box. This prevents the powders from making a mess every time I open the box, or if the box falls over or something.

Hoping somebody in this thread can help (posted this as a new thread, but with no responses, thought I'd put it here). I've been keeping up with the Ayurveda threads, and after going to fromnaturewithlove to buy powders, I am trying to figure out which brahmi everyone is using. FNWL says says this about brahmi:Should not be confused with Centella asiatica, also referred to as brahmi in ayurvedic medicine. The Centella is listed on their website as Gotu Kola. :spinning: Can somebody please help? TIA.
progress.gif

Hoping somebody in this thread can help (posted this as a new thread, but with no responses, thought I'd put it here). I've been keeping up with the Ayurveda threads, and after going to fromnaturewithlove to buy powders, I am trying to figure out which brahmi everyone is using. FNWL says says this about brahmi:Should not be confused with Centella asiatica, also referred to as brahmi in ayurvedic medicine. The Centella is listed on their website as Gotu Kola. :spinning: Can somebody please help? TIA.

I haven't actually started using the Brahmi yet - I have an oil that I got from the indian store - but it has like 22 different herbs in it, as well. Try checking to see what sort Hesh has under their brand name - that would be the 'right' one, I'm thinking.
You could also PM Candy_C....

I haven't actually started using the Brahmi yet - I have an oil that I got from the indian store - but it has like 22 different herbs in it, as well. Try checking to see what sort Hesh has under their brand name - that would be the 'right' one, I'm thinking.
You could also PM Candy_C....
I tried that (PM'ing Candy_C):yep:, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet...she's probably busy. But I did find this oil online called Neelibhringadi, and it has the kind of brahmi that hesh sells and the stuff called Gotu Kola in it...and loads of other stuff. I am not going to order it :nono:, but I am definitely considering making my own version of this:yep:.

I'm subscribing to this thread as I am starting on my ayurveda hair journey this year.

Your welcome, Cleve!

I know there were a couple of mistakes I was making when I first started, so I hope the tips can help others who did the same thing.

I really like to keep it simple cuz it's more convenient and I'm getting more and more lazy :grin:

I gotta get me a Shikakai bar though....

If anyone knows where I can buy Amla, Shikakai, Hibiscus, Brahmi Powder, Bhringraj Powder, and Spikenard Powder all in one place in bulk, lemme know!!!!

Keisha, what do you use the spikenard powder for or better yet how do you use it?

I am trying to subscribe to the thread as well.

Also, it has been some months now, who here has gotten real growth using the powders?

I’m absolutely fresh at the whole healthy hair care lifestyle :spinning:(if I can call it that)… I just started my hair care journey exactly a week ago after I bumped into this forum while looking for reviews on Dr Miracle products – and what a Godsend.

I’m soooooo glad I decided to poke around the forum till I found this thread - cos I would never have learnt all these juicy secrets about Ayurvedic hair care.

I moved from the United States to Ghana (West Africa) a couple of years ago where I have absolutely no sources for my Ayurveda supplies (there are no Indian Stores I know of). So I guess it was just "serious fate" that my BF was coming to back Ghana in a week. I got to work online (mostly Amazon.com) and I ordered “everything”. Powders, Oils, Books… - yeah I’m pretty thorough. I ended up spending over $150(I stopped counting then). But hey, at least I have supplies that will last for months – until the next time I make a trip to Maryland or even India if I’m lucky.

So far I have several boxes of these, Shikakai, Amla, Bhrami, Jamila henna powders – oh and some lemon peel powder for my face. Oils: Amla oil, Vatika oil, Parachute coconut, Castor oil. I also got me some Gro Aut and brhingaraj oils, some Swastik Shikakai bar soaps, some Silicon Mix and Salem leave-in.

I’ve been using them for a week now and boy!!! I just can’t pull myself from the mirror from admiring my new, thick, strong and shiny tresses.:yay:

I'm still tweak around to find a regimen I can easily stick with.

Any pointers?

Last edited:

I purchased tea bags, put the proper ratio in each bag, sealed the bag and stored the bags in a bowl. After premixing, there was nothing left in the boxes and I threw those away. The tea bags are so handy, because when it's time to use one, I don't have to worry about mixing. Plus they help strain the powder.

I purchased tea bags, put the proper ratio in each bag, sealed the bag and stored the bags in a bowl. After premixing, there was nothing left in the boxes and I threw those away. The tea bags are so handy, because when it's time to use one, I don't have to worry about mixing. Plus they help strain the powder.

Mistifying, what types of tea bags are you talking about here, what are they used for nad where do you purchase them from? I haven't heard of using teabags for hair care before. Help a sista understand this.

I purchased empty tea bags that you seal with an iron, like these. You can put whatever you want in the bags, then seal the bag and put away for future use. I put the powders in the bags, so when I get ready to use them, I don't have to measure, or strain. When I get ready to use, I put the bag in a squeeze bottle, and add hot water. I use a squeeze bottle because it's easier to get to my scalp & I can better control where the mix goes. I hope that was clearer. Let me know if I'm still not making sense. :look:

I’m absolutely fresh at the whole healthy hair care lifestyle :spinning:(if I can call it that)… I just started my hair care journey exactly a week ago after I bumped into this forum while looking for reviews on Dr Miracle products – and what a Godsend.

I’m soooooo glad I decided to poke around the forum till I found this thread - cos I would never have learnt all these juicy secrets about Ayurvedic hair care.

I moved from the United States to Ghana (West Africa) a couple of years ago where I have absolutely no sources for my Ayurveda supplies (there are no Indian Stores I know of). So I guess it was just "serious fate" that my BF was coming to back Ghana in a week. I got to work online (mostly Amazon.com) and I ordered “everything”. Powders, Oils, Books… - yeah I’m pretty thorough. I ended up spending over $150(I stopped counting then). But hey, at least I have supplies that will last for months – until the next time I make a trip to Maryland or even India if I’m lucky.

So far I have several boxes of these, Shikakai, Amla, Bhrami, Jamila henna powders – oh and some lemon peel powder for my face. Oils: Amla oil, Vatika oil, Parachute coconut, Castor oil. I also got me some Gro Aut and brhingaraj oils, some Swastik Shikakai bar soaps, some Silicon Mix and Salem leave-in.

I’ve been using them for a week now and boy!!! I just can’t pull myself from the mirror from admiring my new, thick, strong and shiny tresses.:yay:

I'm still tweak around to find a regimen I can easily stick with.

Any pointers?

Welcome :yep:

I purchased empty tea bags that you seal with an iron, like these. You can put whatever you want in the bags, then seal the bag and put away for future use. I put the powders in the bags, so when I get ready to use them, I don't have to measure, or strain. When I get ready to use, I put the bag in a squeeze bottle, and add hot water. I use a squeeze bottle because it's easier to get to my scalp & I can better control where the mix goes. I hope that was clearer. Let me know if I'm still not making sense. :look:

Thanks a million. I saw these but had no idea that I could use them this way. I really appreciate it. I will be ordering them later. I just put them in my personalized shopping list for later.

cool that is a good idea.

How much "shampoo" are yall making in one mix?....if you are mixing enough for more than one wash, how long do you keep it and where are you storing it?

Back