Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

I couldn't take it out. Which I'll probably pay for later but I showed my cousin my edges and she said it wasn't as bad as it seems. She wears weaves religiously so I'm hoping she is right. Nevertheless I am babying my edges and using ORS temple balm twice a day to make sure. How are your edges feeling lately?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My edges are definitely a lot better, there is some noticeable thinning (there is more breakage than anything else), but not as bad as I thought it was initially. I'm just glad I have the knowledge that I do to get them back into shape. I'm just glad I didn't wait any longer than I did.

Bumping for advice.

I got a weave installed two weeks ago so i wouldn't be bothered by my hair for a while after having my baby. The problems I have are following, I would really appreciate advice on what to do:

1) I think the hair was installed a bit too tight, or maybe I'm just not used to sew ins any more, but in places around my hair line I feel crusts on my scalp.

2) unfortunately, I didn't strip the base on the hair before getting it installed, so I'm scared to wash my hair right now, although I really want to wash my hair - any tips? Should I just take the sew in out in order to wash my hair, strip it and get it re installed.

3) because I am scared of the base, I have not been using water based moisturizers and my hair is screaming for water. I am even scared to steam while in the sew-in. I wish I could spray my scalp to relieve the dryness!

I guess the only smart thing I did with this install is making sure she left my edges out!
Any advice will be appreciated.

Bumping for advice.

I got a weave installed two weeks ago so i wouldn't be bothered by my hair for a while after having my baby. The problems I have are following, I would really appreciate advice on what to do:

1) I think the hair was installed a bit too tight, or maybe I'm just not used to sew ins any more, but in places around my hair line I feel crusts on my scalp.

2) unfortunately, I didn't strip the base on the hair before getting it installed, so I'm scared to wash my hair right now, although I really want to wash my hair - any tips? Should I just take the sew in out in order to wash my hair, strip it and get it re installed.

3) because I am scared of the base, I have not been using water based moisturizers and my hair is screaming for water. I am even scared to steam while in the sew-in. I wish I could spray my scalp to relieve the dryness!

I guess the only smart thing I did with this install is making sure she left my edges out!
Any advice will be appreciated.
what does stripping the base do?

Ediese - I know this thread is a little old, but what are you favorite brands now?

I'm looking for curly hair and considering the following:

Halley's Curls Gentle Wave (full head weave)

Full Weave with horseshoe leave out:
ONYC - Full Cuticle Mongolian Kinky Curl Textures Machine Weft
All About My Hair - Remy Kinky Curly Wefted Hair

Do you still highly recommend these brands? I'm looking for minimal shedding and tangling.

TIA

I've been itching to put a weave in for some time now. I want to give my hair a 6mth rest from the relaxer and maybe even 1 year if I really love the look.

Thanks so much for the tips, came at the right time!

I've been wearing weaves for nearly 2 years. But I'm struggling to find quality non-shedding hair to buy.

Any suggestions?
I don't mind spending the money if I'm going to reap the benefits.

I've been wearing weaves for nearly 2 years. But I'm struggling to find quality non-shedding hair to buy.

Any suggestions?

go to BHM and see what Chinese Vendors they're buying from. Apparently BSS hair sucks. I realized this when I got mine.

HELP my scalp is itchy. I shampooed yesterday so could it be dry scalp? How do i stop the itching??? I sprayed a mixture of MT/hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and tea tree oil in some area earlier today but it's still itching :(

shockolate said:
HELP my scalp is itchy. I shampooed yesterday so could it be dry scalp? How do i stop the itching??? I sprayed a mixture of MT/hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and tea tree oil in some area earlier today but it's still itching :(

It could've been the base of your hair not being stripped before you installed it try to wash with asv

Monaleezza said:

Any suggestions?

Senghori Shells is good. BHM has a ton of reviews on non bss hair.

I'm kind of new to sew ins, had one about two years ago. Got one last week, she used a net, and my scalp is so itchy. It's driving me crazy. My metal rat tail comb stays by my side. PLEASE HELP!!

blackbarbie986 said:
I'm kind of new to sew ins, had one about two years ago. Got one last week, she used a net, and my scalp is so itchy. It's driving me crazy. My metal rat tail comb stays by my side. PLEASE HELP!!

When my scalp gets itch I try to get some scurl or conditioner and water to my scalp as good as possible.... That way it moisturizing and get that itchy scalp outta the way

I'm getting a full weave next week and it will be my first time ever. My question is, is the cap/net thing necessary and if so, how do you moisturize and seal your hair with it on?

Back