Are stylists trained to tell you your hair is damaged just to get business? (VENT)

alibi

hair bored
I was in this Dominican beauty supply Saturday that also has a salon attached. I was looking for a good deep conditioner, and all the Dominican ones are in Spanish, so I asked the lady at the front which one was the best. This guy in the back comes flying up from the salon area (uninvited :mad: ) to inform me that my hair is damaged, and that I need to cut if before I even think about getting a deep conditioner. He was like "Deep conditioner no work on damaged hair. You cut first. I cut for you." Had this fool lost his mind??? :nuts: First of all, I haven't used heat on my hair in over a year, and secondly, I just chopped in December. My hair was pulled back in a nice fluffy pony puff, and there isn't a split end in sight on my head! I kindly informed him that my hair is NOT damaged, and that all I was looking to purchase was a deep conditioner. He then (much to my shock :eek: :eek: :eek: ) pinched some of the frizz around my hairline and told me "trust me, I do hair many year" and that this was damaged hair! I was like WTF??? Before I could punch him in his :censored: mouth for touching me he said "You hair that color from damage!" Now mind you, my hair is sandy blond on the sides and has been that color since birth, even moreso in the summer months. And I wasn't even there to get my hair done! And this was not one of those places where it's a salon that happens to sell there products. It's just the opposite. It's a beauty supply with a salon waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy in the back, with, apparently, no customers. And there's no way in HELL I would let him touch my head, even if I was there to get it done! I was SO MAD!!! :whip: It seems like some people will tell you ANYTHING to get you to spend more $$$. I know some Domincan salons are NOTORIOUS for telling folks their hair is damaged to get them to pay more for products. And you'd get sucked in if you don't know your hair! Does this happen in regular salons too? GEESH! :ohwell:

NO this hasn't happened tome before (maybe b/c I live in Mobile and there aren't any Dominican Salons around that I know of). But he would have gotten sleapped fooling around with me!!!

I use to go to a salon where they seemed to be trained to tell you that you needed a trim. They couldn't stand the fact that I never let them trim my hair. Well I couldn't stand them back because they were full of crap.

I used to get this too. Especially about my bangs. I have a piece that has been red since birth. I would have opened up a can on him.

Jealous, Jealous, Jealous! :nono: He was jealous. He wish that his clients could have hair as beautiful as yours!

Last Year, At a shop in New Orleans (search for Jodais) the owner told me that my hair was damaged, underprocessed, nappy and needed to be relaxed every six-eight weeks or my hair would fall out. Then she told me that the products that I were using (Miss Key 10 en 1, Salerm, Motions, etc.) were of low grade and quality-- that I needed to come to her shop every week for a treatment with Nexxus products (Which dont work on my hair at ALL :swearing: )

She was just jealous because my hair was longer, thicker, healthier and more luxurious than hers. Her hair needed a moisturizing treatment along with some much-needed protective styling. As you can see from my pictures, my hair wasn't damaged at all,... not one split end.

i was told my hair was damaged and that i need protien treatments but nobody followed up on how i should prevent damage in the future

i think its like retail you dont just sell a shirt you sell the shirt earrings a necklace and some pants, then you say look what I did for you.

dude was out of his mind and bored from the lack of customers

Re: Are stylists trained to tell you your hair is damaged just to get business? (VENT

Up until I found hair forums a few years ago I always felt guilty because most stylists I've ever had told me that the only way I could get my hair to grow and be healthy was to get it relaxed at least once a month- I'd usually go 2 to 3 months between relaxers so according to the stylists I was just killing my hair :rolleyes: Who knew that I was doing the right thing all along.

All this to say I'm not sure that most stylists have a clue about what damage is and what isn't and I definitely think most decide ALL hair is damaged whether it is or not. Even if your hair is damaged most don't seem to know how to help it they just want to throw more chemicals at you (and charge more money).

This has never happened to me but to my caucasian supv. Her hair is the worst that I see on a white lady. It is so thin and sparse. She went to this new stylist who told her that her hair was damaged and he could be right. She washes, blow dry and hot curl every morning. He charged $100 for cut and highlights even though she does not have that much hair. It is neck length. He charged her another $100 for must have products and told her to do a protein treatment 3 times a week. :shocked: :shocked: I did tell her that was too much protein even though she is jealous of my hair. My tail was grazing brastrap when I got my last touch up in Dec and now I have 2 inches of new growth. Once I get my touchup in a couple of weeks she really will be jealous. I would not mine helping her if she was not such a hater.

I believe they are just out to make money and you have to watch out for them. I had one stylist try to start cutting my hair without asking, or telling me she was going to cut it she had the scissors in her hands and said you need a cut. Now I just had my hair trimmed even u shape 2 weeks before and I rarely blow dry or flat iron. I told her I just got my hair cut and she looks and goes oh the ends do look ok. I've never, ever went back to that salon again even though they do a good flat iron. To quote Lauren Hill girlz you know you better watch out....

Ok this thread def brings up some bad memories. Once my hair was slightly past brastrap and very healthy. I had worn braids off and on for like two and a half years. I went to a new hairstylist, she told me i needed a trim. Ok no prob no since on holding on to damaged hair right? So i got the trim and still had length to spare. I go back to her maybe 2-3 weeks later to get my hair wrapped and flat ironed.And she says I need another trim! Keep in mind i had hardly put any heat on my hair and was still gettin mad compliments on it. To make a long story longer lol :lachen: I went back to her thinking she was helping me to have healthy hair. I got a trim every 4-6 weeks. One day I came home an looked in the mirror. My hair was just barely touching my shoulders! I was sooo ticked off! :crying3: This all happened over the course of prob three months!! Did I mention she hardly had any hair?? So now i go to a guy when i need my hair trimmed, I figured men are less likely to have hair envy.

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Ok this thread def brings up some bad memories. Once my hair was slightly past brastrap and very healthy. I had worn braids off and on for like two and a half years. I went to a new hairstylist, she told me i needed a trim. Ok no prob no since on holding on to damaged hair right? So i got the trim and still had length to spare. I go back to her maybe 2-3 weeks later to get my hair wrapped and flat ironed.And she says I need another trim! Keep in mind i had hardly put any heat on my hair and was still gettin mad compliments on it. To make a long story longer lol :lachen: I went back to her thinking she was helping me to have healthy hair. I got a trim every 4-6 weeks. One day I came home an looked in the mirror. My hair was just barely touching my shoulders! I was sooo ticked off! :crying3: This all happened over the course of prob three months!! Did I mention she hardly had any hair?? So now i go to a guy when i need my hair trimmed, I figured men are less likely to have hair envy.
maybe I'm not sure about the flamboyant qweens though. I feel your pain :crying3:

Last edited:
Honestly I don't recall if this has happened to me. The stylist I am going to now is pretty attentive to what I want and doesn't do anything unless I give her the greenlight.

It's happened to me before and i honestly think they say it as easily as they breathe. It's like habit for them. -- jainygirl

It has happened to me before too. Now that I am more educated about my hair, I just brush them off and keep it moving.

BrwnSugaBabee said:

LOL BrwnSugaBabee! :lol:

I don't know about men stylist either though! :naughty: Your post reminded me of my worst salon nightmare:

The summer just before law school I went to a well known salon in the San Francisco Bay Area that had been written up in Essence. My cousin had been there and had nothing but good things to say about it. My hair was very long, almost BS, and very healthy, but in long layers. I wanted my hair cut in a bob, so it could be all one length, the length of my shortest layer. (I was going for a studious approach since everyone told me how hard my first year of law school would be! :lol: ) I also needed a relaxer, so I planned on dropping some serious cash so I could look fly when I boarded the plane for DC the next day. The owner of the salon seemed nice but very busy. His assistant relaxed and wrapped me and put me under the dryer. Once I was dry, she unwrapped me, and I waited patiently for "the Diva" to arrive. I had even picked out the style I wanted in 3 hair magazines, so I could show him exactly how I wanted my hair. Once he got to me, he looked at my hair, mumbled something under his breath, verified that I was the one that wanted the bob, and picked up a comb and started combing the back middle section of my hair. I though, no harm, he's going to comb it a little and talk to me about what I want. AT LEAST I THOUGHT HE WAS COMBING!!! Do you know that this fool was CUTTING MY HAIR WITH A RAZOR COMB??? I had never seen one, and didn't know to stop him b/c I thought it was a comb!!!!! Before I knew it, THE ENTIRE MIDDLE SECTION OF MY HAIR LOOKED LIKE A BABOON'S A$$!!! :eek: I jumped out of the chair, shocked, and all he could say was that he thought I wanted a bob! I wanted a bob that sat below my shoulders, not to my ears and shaved in the back!!! To this day, I still cringe when I see my law school id card! So many girls had long swinging hair, and I had an ear length bob that I HATED!!!! I spent the next 3 years growing my hair back to where it was!!! My hair had never been that short in my life, and hasn't been since!

Uh, so the moral of my story is, watch out for the male stylists too. :look:

ayanapooh said:

I don't know about men stylist either though! :naughty: Your post reminded me of my worst salon nightmare:

The summer just before law school I went to a well known salon in the San Francisco Bay Area that had been written up in Essence. My cousin had been there and had nothing but good things to say about it. My hair was very long, almost BS, and very healthy, but in long layers. I wanted my hair cut in a bob, so it could be all one length, the length of my shortest layer. (I was going for a studious approach since everyone told me how hard my first year of law school would be! :lol: ) I also needed a relaxer, so I planned on dropping some serious cash so I could look fly when I boarded the plane for DC the next day. The owner of the salon seemed nice but very busy. His assistant relaxed and wrapped me and put me under the dryer. Once I was dry, she unwrapped me, and I waited patiently for "the Diva" to arrive. I had even picked out the style I wanted in 3 hair magazines, so I could show him exactly how I wanted my hair. Once he got to me, he looked at my hair, mumbled something under his breath, verified that I was the one that wanted the bob, and picked up a comb and started combing the back middle section of my hair. I though, no harm, he's going to comb it a little and talk to me about what I want. AT LEAST I THOUGHT HE WAS COMBING!!! Do you know that this fool was CUTTING MY HAIR WITH A RAZOR COMB??? I had never seen one, and didn't know to stop him b/c I thought it was a comb!!!!! Before I knew it, THE ENTIRE MIDDLE SECTION OF MY HAIR LOOKED LIKE A BABOON'S A$$!!! :eek: I jumped out of the chair, shocked, and all he could say was that he thought I wanted a bob! I wanted a bob that sat below my shoulders, not to my ears and shaved in the back!!! To this day, I still cringe when I see my law school id card! So many girls had long swinging hair, and I had an ear length bob that I HATED!!!! I spent the next 3 years growing my hair back to where it was!!! My hair had never been that short in my life, and hasn't been since!

Oh my goodness! :eek: I couldn't even imagine!

Stylist are not trained to tell people that..nor are the trained to complement people if they have good healthy hair. If your life/job depended on doing peoples hair in a shop like that you would be probibly do the same thing. what if he complemented you and suggested some products would have you listened?. He did handle it the wrong way you catch more bees with honey than lemons.. Send him this in a letter.

ayanapooh said:

DON'T BASH MALE HAIRSTYLIST. I am sorry you had a bad exsperiance,

In the salon that I used to go to--anytime they picked up a pair of scissors--no matter what--that automatically added $10 to your price. So trim xtra $10...onto the relaxer price---cut xtra $15 to $20 onto the relaxer or style price. Now that I have learned the hard way---all my hair trimmed away over the course of a year--- I know that they are trying to make money, and will tell you anything. Everytime I would get a relaxer my stylist would say your ends are too through--Bam!!!! Another $10 xtra for a so called trim that would end up being a cut. She had no hair--never had hair--she didn't want me to have past neck length hair.

Re: Are stylists trained to tell you your hair is damaged just to get business? (VENT

It wasn't bashing anyways, was it? I mean, she just told what happened to her.

And warned others to watch out so that something similar wouldn't happen to us.

I just read this entire thread. As other ladies have mentioned, there is no bashing going on here -- just personal experiences and honest, well-intentioned warnings regarding all hairdressers, regardless of sex.

Last edited:
Lucia said:
maybe I'm not sure about the flamboyant qweens though. I feel your pain :crying3:

I was a little unsure myself about having a man do my hair, but he does a great job, keeps me up on the latest gossip :eek: and is helping my hair to grow back. Def a keeper! :grin:

ayanapooh said:

Thanks for the advice, I am sorry that happened to you :( but that is just one guy, who was a major (insert expletive here:) The guy I am going to now is one of the most professional stylist i have ever been to. And i gotta say his hair is always tight, unlike some of the female stylist i have gone to that make you wonder why they dont keep up with their own hair. Not saying all female stylist are like that, but the guy i go to is great, and i am seeing a big improvement in my hair. :grin:

She was just saying that you should not feel that any old hairdresser will do a good job because they happen to be a man. You should watch a man just as you would a woman. She wasn't saying that all male hairdressers are like that. At least that was my interpretation.

Back