I'm in. :cool2:

~Current
SL

~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd
Transitioning

~APL goal month
December 2012

~Current Reggie and styling choices
CW 1-3x a week, No Heat, DC weekly. Braid my hair up in 2 french braids using butters or creams, seal w/avocado oil and put on my wig. In January, I think I'm getting braids. So for 2012, wigs, braids, wash-n-gos and maybe a sew-in for protective styling.

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
Incorporating bi-weekly hot oil treatments with avocado oil and tea tree oil for the winter months.

~Post a beginning picture

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
NikkiQ I was looking at some youtube vids from SimplyYounique and Sareca....I would love to do those twist out styles. I can keep them in for a week at a time, but I'd still have to manipulate my strands once a week. I'm a lil unsure of how much handling my strands can tolerate without adverse effect.

NaturallySweet73

Im a longtime lurker, but i want to get in on this! :yep:

~Current hair length
Past Full shoulder length but not quite APL
Natural
~APL goal month
May 2012
Co-washing weekly, sealing with castor oil instead of the current olive, Protien Treatment once per month, DC when ever I need it. Styling choices: 2 strand twists, twist outs, protective styling
sealing my ends and Trimming every 2 to 3 months as needed.
December 2011 will mark 2 years natural for me and I will be checking my length. I would like to post then :)

Imani

~Current hair length- SL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd- Natural
~APL goal month- April 2012
~Current Reggie and styling choices- Half wigs/twists/twistouts; low manipulation, heat about 5 times/year.
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?- Adding more protein to try to control splitting ends. Possibly trimming/dusting more.
~Post a beginning picture- Getting my hair done in a couple of weeks, will add pics then

eta: pic as of Nov 21, 2011

Attachments

• Nov2011.jpg
    Nov2011.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

NikkiQ

@NikkiQ I was looking at some youtube vids from SimplyYounique and Sareca....I would love to do those twist out styles. I can keep them in for a week at a time, but I'd still have to manipulate my strands once a week. I'm a lil unsure of how much handling my strands can tolerate without adverse effect.

bajandoc86 I look at SimplyYounique too and :love: the styles that she does. I don't think manipulating your hair once a week is bad at all. Lots of people go through the motions on wash day anyway, so why not just throw in some extra time to put in some twists for the week?

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
NikkiQ that's very true. I know at some point in this journey I have to find the balance between PS/wearing my hair out/avoiding breakage and lack of retention. Plus...I just want to learn to do new stuff. My friends I haven't seen since university were AMAZED that I even wash my own hair now...far less that I can cornrow. :lachen:

I think for the new year...I will have a period of 4-6 weeks between braid installs so I can have enough time to try new styles.

2010 - was the year of weight loss
2011 - year of healthier hair
2012 will be the year of healthy, longer hair that I will learn to do cute styles with AND getting my makeup game ON. (been checking out the makeup forum...them ladies got skills!)

NikkiQ

^^^I'm planning on TRYING to learn how to style my own hair so I can wear it out more. As it gets longer, I think I'll want to try out a few of the styles I've seen on YT ladies that had full SL/APL hair that just doesn't look how on shorter hair :lol:

I think once a week manipulation to do twists or braids for outs won't affect you hair at all as long as it's not overkill, ya know?

skraprchik

I ended up doing a flexi-rod set this morning. It's my first attempt and I learned a lot, namely that I forgot how long I have to sit under the dryer! 2 hrs is a long time. Maybe if I can really get into the rollers and flexi-rods I'll get myself a Pibbs and cut down on drying time.

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I'm IN!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Current hair length- SL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd- relaxed
~APL goal month- Dec 2012 (I'm a slow grower )
~Current Reggie and styling choices- Hiding my hair for winter with weaves/braids
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?- Adding more protein, no trimming til March, more exercise/healthy eating
~Post a beginning picture- hmmmmm soon as I figure out how

faithVA

Yep. I agree.@faithVA where you at? Hope your sunday is going well.

oooh no you didn't call me out bajandoc86.

Girl I was getting my party on. Went to Bmore this weekend to hang out with my DC and Bmore Stepping family and had a BLAST. And my twist out was off the chain.

Naw I ain't go no pictures :sad:

There's another in two weeks so will try to get a pic then.

I'm back in VA. So stalling but need to get to my wash day hair regimen. Probably going to play in my hair a bit to see if its long enough to bun. :yep:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Wow! Sounds awesome. @faithVA Girl you need a :spank:.......talmbout you ain't gots no pitchas. What products did you use for your twistout? Yes, a fass mi a fass inna yuh bizness (as the J'cans would say).

faithVA

Wow! Sounds awesome. @faithVA Girl you need a :spank:.......talmbout you ain't gots no pitchas. What products did you use for your twistout? Yes, a fass mi a fass inna yuh bizness (as the J'cans would say).

I told y'all friday I wasn't going to have any pitchas. :yep: You can check the record.

I haven't repeated these steps so I will have to try it again to make sure this works a second time. And I wear my twist for a week so its not an overnight twist out.

Washed (mud wash)
Conditioned (AOHSR + Zuresh Conditioner + flax seed oil) - 2 hours
Zuresh Leave-in
Sprayed with SM Mist
Twisted with KCCC
Wore a week and moistured with SM Mist and sealed with sunflower oil + shea butter mix
Sprayed hair with water starting 2 days prior to twistout to make my twist curl up.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
That last step....I've never thought of doing that. *tucks away tip for future reference* I hope it works out again for you!

gennatay

I'm in, I need inspiration!

Current hair length- NL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd- Natural

APL goal month- Dec 2012 -Longest my hair has ever been.

Current Reggie and styling choices-
Current Products

Cleanse: CD Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Deep Condition: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle or CD Hair Elixir
Co-Wash: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
Leave in: KK Knot Today
Wash N Go: KK Curling Custard
Twist: CD Hair Milk
Seal: Coconut Oil or CD Hair Balm
Ayuverdic Treatments

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?- More protective styles

Post a beginning picture- coming soon

Last edited:

Guyaneek

Thanks for this! I was waiting to get to a computer (rather than my cellphone) to enter this.

~Current hair length - Just below shoulder length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - completely natural
~APL goal month - April 2012
~Current Reggie and styling choices co wash 2xs per week, shampoo monthly, (considering adding that mud wash), henna every 1-2 weeks, dc every wash, MTG, bunning and twist outs. I will post a pic of my hair in January when I take out braids. No length checks before then. Consistent vitamin regi
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I don't plan to change much. Just being more consistent and tracking my progress more faithfully. I can't wait to return to APL and beyond, this time fully natural!
ETA photos ~
these were taken last weekend. I straightened myself and I don't do well with heat. It isn't the best straightening job honestly:
I'm sorry...I have no clue how to turn these things!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

NikkiQ

I'll be sure to update the list in the morn when I get to a comp.

Blew out my hair today (too comical) and after 4hrs...my twists are done! Thank you jeebus. I hope they last me at least 2 weeks. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

growingbrown

I want to join this challenge!

~Current hair length - collar bone
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd - Natural
~APL goal month - maybe March
~Current Reggie and styling choices - wash once or twice a week with steam treatments. mini twists and twistouts
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? No changes.
~Post a beginning picture - will post later

Evolving78

i am going to do my best to stretch my relaxer until the middle or end of Jan. so i am going to start setting my hair on larger rollers too. i dc'ed my hair this past weekend and i am dc'ing again today. i won't do it again until Friday. also, i am using more protein, but not hardcore. i am using Ovation and Aphogee 2 min, and i'm using Keracare Humecto for moisture.

LadyRaider

I guess I'll give this a try. :perplexed

~Current hair length: Full Shoulder Length
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
~APL goal month: May (trim in early February)
~Current Reggie and styling choices:
Wash/Deep Condition and Braid on Sunday Evening.
Banana clip braid out puffs, donut buns, French braids. Spray moisture and rebraid (gently) each night.
CoWash on Thursday Evening - French Braid(s) that will I will not manipulate until Sunday evening (unless special event comes up.)

~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Less manipulation (Thursday-Sunday)
I know I probably needed more trimmed already. Will trim in early Feb!

NewHairWOWeave

~Current hair length Full SL
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd RELAXED
~APL goal month APRIL
~Current Reggie and styling choices Salon 2x a month for a wash set.
Salon every 8-12 weeks for touch up. Mega-Tek scalp mix 1-2 a week. Moisturize when needed(Argon Oil, ORS Olive Oil).
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Start an maintain my exercise and hair regimine, Drink more water,Taking Vitamins,.
Picture will be posted Saturday November 12,2011

Charla

Did my first set of twists!!! :woot: :wiggle: :weird: :yahoo:

Very pretty! I think I want to try this. Any good YT tutorials you recommend? So you do a blow out first? What products are you using, and how long should this set of twists last? --- of to YT (although I'm supposed to cleaning my house!:grin:)

NikkiQ

indarican

~Current hair length
I am currently CBL on the sides and barely touching my back in the back of my head, I am just below my eyebrow in the front.... Not sure what my currently length really is...
for the first time sine i was 7... !!!! 100% natural!!
~APL goal month
I would like to make it by august, but ill take december!!!
Well my current reggie is cowashing at least 5 days a week, moisturizing and sealing with cantu shea butter leave in and all natural shea butter, DC at least once every 2 weeks with a light protien. Finger detangle daily, Combing very rarely and only with gobs and gobs of conditioner. NO HEAT! sporatic MTG use, when I remember which has not been too often :-/
The only style i can do is a puff! but i like it, lets me break out the fancy earings and makeup.
I will be getting my first professional blow out/flat iron and MAYBE trim at APL
January first i will post a starting pic! in the no length check till DEC 31 challenge.

NikkiQ

Thoughs look nice @NikkiQ, nice and plump! How long are you going to keep them in?
Thanks! Firstborn2. I'm gonna try to keep them in for 2-3 weeks, but we'll see. I might get tired of them and want to do them again in a while or I'll want to see what my hair will look like in a twist out lol

Very pretty! I think I want to try this. Any good YT tutorials you recommend? So you do a blow out first? What products are you using, and how long should this set of twists last? --- of to YT (although I'm supposed to cleaning my house!:grin:)

@NikkiQ

I did a blow out first, but most ladies just stretch their hair prior to twisting. I lurked in the Twist challenge that faithVA started and got lots of good tips. I used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Hairveda Whipped Gelly for hold. Hopefully these will last me 2-3 weeks. If I don't cowash, they should be fine.

AmyRose92

~Current hair length: Full SL/CL
~Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd
~APL goal month: December
~Current Reggie and styling choices: Two-strand twists under wigs, moisturize every other day, wash and overnight DC 1 x week, 10000mcg biotin per day
Less manipulation, dusting more frequently, sealing my ends daily, more exercise, consistent daily water intake, healthy diet
[Will post in a month!]

Last edited:

AmyRose92

Question for the ladies: will APL be the longest your hair has ever been or is this a milestone you are revisiting??

YES! All my life, I've never been past SL (this--CBL--is the longest my hair has ever been!). I don't know how long my hair was as a child but I had a relaxer at the age of 5 and my hair never really bounced back after that until my BC. I can't wait to get there so that I can show my hair off! :lol: