Anyone use duckbill clips at the end of their newgrowth when touching up relaxers?

chicacanella

I was thinking about how I could self relax and not have my hair over lap and I came up with the idea of using duck bill clips. What I wanted to do is go and make one inch sections throughout my hair and put some heavy grease on the previously relaxed ends. On top of that I would have some Porosity control and over my whole head a week before I would have done some type of heavy duty protein treatment.

So, I said I will use a duck bill clip at the end of my new growth so that when I am applying my relaxer it won't go any further but if I make a mistake with the applicator brush, it will get on the duck bill clips instead of my relaxed hair. I was thinking of making one-two inch square or rectangle sections. I know my hair will be full of these clips but hey, it is worth it if it stops me from overlapping.

Also, I would have all my hair combed out before hand since my newgrowth is so soft after C-G, it is so manageable now.

Leslie_C

Re: Anyone use duckbill clips at the end of their newgrowth when touching up relaxers

I was thinking about how I could self relax and not have my hair over lap and I came up with the idea of using duck bill clips. What I wanted to do is go and make one inch sections throughout my hair and put some heavy grease on the previously relaxed ends. On top of that I would have some Porosity control and over my whole head a week before I would have done some type of heavy duty protein treatment.

So, I said I will use a duck bill clip at the end of my new growth so that when I am applying my relaxer it won't go any further but if I make a mistake with the applicator brush, it will get on the duck bill clips instead of my relaxed hair. I was thinking of making one-two inch square or rectangle sections. I know my hair will be full of these clips but hey, it is worth it if it stops me from overlapping.

Also, I would have all my hair combed out before hand since my newgrowth is so soft after C-G, it is so manageable now.

that sounds like a really good idea! Let us know how it works for you...I think I will try it next time as well. I really dont want to have to set foot in a salon ever again for a chemical service or trim aka cut. But my self relaxing skills need help.

btw, what is C-G?

chicacanella

Re: Anyone use duckbill clips at the end of their newgrowth when touching up relaxers

that sounds like a really good idea! Let us know how it works for you...I think I will try it next time as well. I really dont want to have to set foot in a salon ever again for a chemical service or trim aka cut. But my self relaxing skills need help.

btw, what is C-G?

Oh, I just use abbreviations but it stands for the Crown and Glory Method. I only had my braids in a little over a month but I was sponge moisturizing every three-four days.:grin:

chicacanella

Oh, it also would make the process go by quicker since everything is already section off.:yep:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL

It might be a winning technique as long as you use plastic duckbill clips.

(There's always warnings against using metal instruments with relaxers.)

myco

It might be a winning technique as long as you use plastic duckbill clips.

(There's always warnings against using metal instruments with relaxers.)

I agree. The reaction between the metal and the chemicals in the relaxer might be unexpected.

chicacanella

Oooh, thanks so much for the tips you guys cause I didn't know that. This is why I love LHCF!:grin:

RubyWoo

I tried to use plastic duck bill clips on the demarcation(sp?) line when I was practicing doing my touch-up but I found they got in the way too much and hindered me from moving quickly. It was hard for the hair to stay out of the way when I moved to the next section. I believe it was because of the weight of the clip. What I ended up doing was putting vaseline right below the demarcation(sp?) line in addition to conditioner.

Next time I touch-up, I plan to use ponytail holders right on the demarcation(sp?) line. I read about some ladies doing that on here so I plan to try that method.

tyte curlz

Yeah i agree use PLASTIC only if nut duck tails then clamps or clips

chicacanella

I tried to use plastic duck bill clips on the demarcation(sp?) line when I was practicing doing my touch-up but I found they got in the way too much and hindered me from moving quickly. It was hard for the hair to stay out of the way when I moved to the next section. I believe it was because of the weight of the clip. What I ended up doing was putting vaseline right below the demarcation(sp?) line in addition to conditioner.

Next time I touch-up, I plan to use ponytail holders right on the demarcation(sp?) line. I read about some ladies doing that on here so I plan to try that method.

Oooh, you know what? Pony tail holders might even be better. I think I will buy some small scrunchies. Thanks for the tip!:grin: