Anyone up for a "Use up your stash in 2010" challenge?

Wow thanks ladies for all the updates - I can see we are getting into this which is great as this will help us reach our final goal of using up our stash instead of buying more.

Anyway JUST thought I would add the following as we are all here to try and help each other:

1. As per my mini-setback on Sunday (with the Affirm 5 in 1 treatment), I suggest that we have a look through our products and decide what is in date/ out of date and get rid of it as we do not want to suffer any setback or harm ourselves etc. Unfortunately this is one of the results of PJism.
2. I also suggest you think about which products you need to use first and if there are family members and or friends who can help you use them because of sell by dates. The other alternative is to "decant" a small amount with the more natural products and maybe refrigerate or refreeze the rest until you are ready to use them (not sure if that's possible so someone please chime in).
3. I have set up a motivation plan to get through my stash usage which is to put the money I would ordinarily spend into a special fund to use buying a luxury purchase by the end of June i.e. a steamer/ some nice hair etc.

***Also un-fortuntaely I have to invoke a "pass" to sort out this ish with my hair. I think I am going to try washing my hair again with some of my Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing and Chelating shampoo (diluted in applicator bottle method). As such I will also consider buying a closure as I do not want to damage my natural leave out hair after this weekends shenanigans with the Affirm 5 in 1 treatment as I now have to wash and straighten again.

Shampoo
Crème Of Nature Professional Detangling- Conditioning (Green-2 bottles)
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair
ION Color Defense Shampoo

Conditioner
Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment (12/22/09)
Nexxus Humectress (1/5/10)
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship
Organic Root Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm (Matrix Biolage)
ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
Crème Of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
ION Reconstructor Treatment
ION Color Defense Intense Moisture Daily Hydrating Conditioner
Aussie Moist Conditioner
Aussie Deeeeep 3 Minute Miracle Moisture Treatment (2 bottles)
LeKair Cholesterol Plus
Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol
Salon Care Honey and Almond Conditioner

Leave-In/Moisturizer
Generic Value Products The Conditioner- Leave Conditioner (Paul Mitchell)
Mane ‘n Tail Detangler
ApHogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner
ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer
HairVeda Whipped Cream
Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14 in 1
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In Split End Protector
Silk Elements Silken Child Moisturizing Crème
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In Cream (12/24/09)
Infusium 23
ION Color Defense Leave-In Protector

Oil
African Royale Hot Six Oil
Castro & EVOO Mix (1/1/10)
Safflower Oil
EVOO
Coconut Oil

Herbal & Ayurvedic Products
Amla Powder
Shikakai Powder (12/30/09)
Henna (1/1/10)

Brahmi
Indigo

Other
CHI Silk Infusion
CHI 44 Iron Guard
Motions Foam Wrap Lotion
KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion
KeraCare Oil Sheen
French Stabilizer Plus
Ecostyler Clear Gel
Ampro Pro Styl Gel

**Nexxus Humectress was used in today DC**

Last edited:
I totally missed this thread and the joining deadline but I am going to play along on the sidelines anyway.:look: I have toooo much stuff and am thinking about a BC this year as well.

I totally missed this thread and the joining deadline but I am going to play along on the sidelines anyway.:look: I have toooo much stuff and am thinking about a BC this year as well.

For the ladies who missed this session, please feel free to join the next one.

So sorry you missed it but we had to have a cut off date so that we could monitor progress and accountability.

See you soon ! x :grin:

Okay, I finally have pictures so here you go.

What are your motivations for joining this challenge?
To try and possibly get rid of all my products. Perhaps I may find another staple or two, but if not, at least I can say I tried

A list of the products you hope to be using up in your stash? Categorize by:

- Shampoos *Quite a few of these are sample sizes*
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Suave Daily Clarifying
Suave Almond and Shea Butter
Redken Real Control
Frederic Fekkai Technician Color shampoo
L'Oreal Ever Pure sulfate free shampoo
Optimum Care Dandruff Solutions shampoo

- Conditioners
Queen Helene Cholesterol x3
Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Cholesterol
Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol
ORSOORP
Pantene Relaxed and Natural deep conditioning mask
Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat
Roux Porosity Control
Dark and Lovely Moisture Seal Instant conditioner
Nexxus Humecrtress
Nexxus KerapHix
Suave Color Care conditioner
Back to Basics Jasmine Curl Defining conditioner
Optimum Care Stay Strong conditioner
Redken Real Control conditioner
L'Oreal Ever Pure conditioner
Optimum Care Ultimate Recovery conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Technician Color Care conditioner
Frederic Fekkai Technician Color Care mask
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Stay Strong conditioner
Soft Sheen Carson Roots of Nature Shea Butter Green Tea Reconstructing Treatment
Profectiv MegaGrowth Reconstructor conditioner
CHI Infra Treatment
ApHogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor
Nexxus Emergencee
Suave Natural Cucumber Melon x2
White Rain Extra Body
V05 Strawberries and Champagne
Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry
Suave Naturals Toasted Vanilla Sugar
White Rain for Women of Color
V05 Strawberries and Cream
Salon Care Wild Strawberry

- Leave Ins, Mosturizers, and Styling products
Softee Clear Gel
Clear Ice Gel
ORS Carrot Oil
ORS Olive Oil
Herbal Essences Styling Gel
NTM Serum
John Freida Brilliant Brunette Glossing Polish
Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream

- Oils & Essential Oils & Butters
- Herbal & Ayurvedic Products
Don't use anything from these categories

How many sessions you are joining the challenge for (go slow ladies and be realistic)?
Both sessions

3. Post a Pic of your "Stash". (Be honest now...)

Drugstore Samples
2010012.jpg

Salon Samples
2010011.jpg

Deep Conditioners
2010010.jpg

2010008.jpg

2010006.jpg

Co Wash Conditioner
2010009.jpg

2010001.jpg

Leave Ins/Moisturizers and Styling Products (I admit that a few things may be missing but I can't remember if I actually used them up or my family members threw them away)
2010007.jpg

Last edited:
I need to use up all that I have. The only product I would have to repurchase this year is my Qhemet's Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and *maybe* an oil or so if I run out before the year is over. Other than that, I have enough of everything else to last me.

Does it count against us if we get stuff free or it's given to us? I just received a free full sized bottle of Suave Almond and Shea Butter shampoo in the mail. I vaguely remember sending off for it in October. I will add it to my list though.

I failed this challenge already not even a month! There is always new products/ideas that keep you buying:wallbash:

I joined this challenge in my head ages ago but I'm not sure if I shared that with anyone else :lachen:

So just in case I didn't say it before.....I'm in!!!

It's only a week into 2010 and I've done really well

I gave away tons of clothes and hair products to family and friends over the Christmas holiday and then I sold off a bunch of my unused, good as new products to other PJs on the board :look:

At this point my hair stash is now down to my Qhemet products, a dozen shampoos and conditioners, and maybe like a half a dozen (non Qhemet) leave in hair products and 2 (8oz) bottles of jbco.

I can now actually fill most of my stuff on the top shelf of my walk in closet. Where as before I used to trip over products all over my house.

The only things I purchased so far are a small 1oz container of Porosity Control conditioner (if my hair likes it I'll be a full sized bottle next month) and a 4pack of croc hair pins since I broke my T-rex ones weeks ago.

I'm beginning to think I may almost be cured of PJism. :yep:

I'd much prefer to have a few really amazing items that my hair loves than to have a closet that looks like the hair care aisle at CVS. (which is exactly what it used to look like)

Hey B_Phlyy,

Where did you get those huge jugs of V05 condish?

The jug used to be something else (cooking oil I think). I just cleaned it out and put the 7 bottles of V05 Strawberries and Cream in. Much easier to carry around.

I failed this challenge already not even a month! There is always new products/ideas that keep you buying:wallbash:

Hey girls, What's gonna be ltown's punishment for cheating on the challenge one week in?...Should she send all of us one item from her stash??? :yep: Just kidding...SG76 said that we can make one purchase per month and replace essential supplies and there are a couple of emergency passes. What ever you bought was an essential or an emergency right ltown?

Hey girls, What's gonna be ltown's punishment for cheating on the challenge one week in?...Should she send all of us one item from her stash??? :yep: Just kidding...SG76 said that we can make one purchase per month and replace essential supplies and there are a couple of emergency passes. What ever you bought was an essential or an emergency right ltown?

:lachen:LOL that would be a good idea but them she will keep buying stuff and wont tell us so she wont have to give up the goodness:lick:

:badgirl: :spank:.... tell us what you bought then....:rolleyes:....

We are all here to help each other :nudge: ;)

Kinda linking the idea of this....:scratchch *looks up ltown's stash for goodies*
btw I have decided ladies that my forfeit (should I not keep to the challenge) is to donate the same amount I spent on a product or products to my chosen charity.

:look: Yes I am. Dont we get a monthly pass? It should be like once a month anything hair related under $10 LOL

Yep its one item per month and I have set my limit at 20 GBP. :grin:

Last edited:
:badgirl: :spank:.... tell us what you bought then....:rolleyes:....

We are all here to help each other :nudge: ;)

Kinda linking the idea of this....:scratchch *looks up ltown's stash for goodies*
btw I have decided ladies that my forfeit (should I not keep to the challenge) is to donate the same amount I spent on a product or products to my chosen charity.

Yep its one item per month and I have set my limit at 20 GBP. :grin:

Ok ladies I brought some castro oil, it has several purpose body/hair so I really did not use a pass:ohwell:

I'm giving my sister 4 products and will be posting a sell for some!

Last edited:
Girl...you know I just had to ask. Just to make sure. :look:

yeah I'm sure..... :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ok ladies I brought some castro oil, it has several purpose body/hair so I really did not use a pass:ohwell:

I'm giving my sister 4 products and will be posting a sell for some!

Okay re the former I agree with you there and good idea re the latter. I;m gonna do a big eBay sale myself and give away the rest to my mum as I know I just won't use some of this ish....

I wanna buy something but I dont even know what I want.....What a shame!:nono:

See there it is right >>><<< .... that's exactly how I get sometimes :yep:. Its like I read about something new and I'm just craving and itching to buy it. Its happened to me a few times already and boy has it been hard to walk outta that shop. I am avoiding BSS's like the palgue at the moment....

I know huh, its only been a week into 2010 and we craving for stuff.:lick:

I know how you feel...:rolleyes:

I'm guess when we buy a new product we put it on the list?
Like say your replacing something thats already on ur list
Vo5 Moisture Milks Finished
Vo5 (1/8/10)

I guess it would be a good idea to put the date u finished it so after sometime you know how often you have to replace it, so you know if its really worth buying

Checking in!
I've definitely been inspired by IDareT'sHair to go through products one at a time, until they are all gone. Using my stash that way will help me figure out exactly what products work well for my hair and what products don't, and I can observe the long term effects of certain products on my hair. It will also be easier to work through my stash if I use items in a more methodical fashion, as opposed to using whatever I feel like from week to week.
So this month, I'm planning on working my way through:
Motions CPR (for protein)
Organix Vanilla Silk Shampoo
Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner (for CWC-ing)
Nexxus Humectress Conditioner (for DCing)
Vatika Oil (for sealing and DCing)
Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (for moisturizing)
All of that stuff is already open and partially used, so I want to get them out of the way before opening anything new, but I doubt that they will all be done by the end of January. Especially because I only have one wash day a week and like no hair. :rofl:
I bet it's so much easier to use up product when you have long hair. *kicks rocks*
I'm also going to try to shrink my stash by leaving some of products at home for my family to use. I'm going to leave one bottle of HE LTR Leave-In, one bottle of Vatika Oil, one large bottle of Motions CPR, and one jar of HB Olive Cholesterol. I really like those products (except for the Motions CPR, because Aphogee is 100x better for my hair), but I have too many of them and should share. I hope everyone has been successful with the challenge so far!

I have to move up in this thread to make update:
I'm in, can't seem to stop buying thing either! Here is a start of my stash at least 3-5 of each
Conditioners
Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango
Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor (mild protein
Jason Natural Biotin Conditioner
Mills Creek Keratin Conditioner (protein)
Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Conditioner (mild protein)
Neutragena Triple Moisture Mask
Nexxus Emergencee (mild to moderate protein
Silicon Mix Conditioner(gone)
Joico K Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (protein
Giovanni smooth as silk
Elasta DRP
Giovanni Reconstructor
Biosilk smoothing
Aphogee reconstructor
Aphogee 2 min
Sunsilk hyrda
Mill Creek biotin
Healthy sexy hair
aussie conditioner
Aussie 3min
Yes to carrot mask
Yes to carrot conditioner
Herbal essense
Hair one

Leave ins
Giovanni Direct leave in
Cantu shea leave in (5 left)
Infusion (gone)
healthy Sexy (gone
Neutrgena leave in
Rusk calm

Shampoo
VO 5 strawsberry and cream (gone)
VO 5 tea therapy (2 left)
VO 5 clarify
VO 5 Herbal escape
Nature Made
Healthy sexy hair Pumpkin

Ayurveda
Amla
Hibiscus
Brahmi
Fenugreek
Maka
Shikaki(gone)

Moisturizer Oil
Afroveda Skikaki elixir
Afroveda Hibiscus
Afroveda Sunsilk
Afroved Priti
Vatika oil
Hairveda vatika gone
carrot creme
Cantu strenthening
Hawaiian silky 14-1
Elasta Recovery

Custard
Afroveda totally twisted
Afroveda Curly custard
Cocolatte mask
Qhemet burdock root(gone)
Qhemet Amla heavy

Gel
Fantancia IC serum
Fantancia IC gel
Twist and lock

enhancer:
wheat protein
silk protein

Last edited:
Checking in!
I've definitely been inspired by IDareT'sHair to go through products one at a time, until they are all gone. Using my stash that way will help me figure out exactly what products work well for my hair and what products don't, and I can observe the long term effects of certain products on my hair. It will also be easier to work through my stash if I use items in a more methodical fashion, as opposed to using whatever I feel like from week to week.
So this month, I'm planning on working my way through:
Motions CPR (for protein)
Organix Vanilla Silk Shampoo
Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner (for CWC-ing)
Nexxus Humectress Conditioner (for DCing)
Vatika Oil (for sealing and DCing)
Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (for moisturizing)
All of that stuff is already open and partially used, so I want to get them out of the way before opening anything new, but I doubt that they will all be done by the end of January. Especially because I only have one wash day a week and like no hair. :rofl:
I bet it's so much easier to use up product when you have long hair. *kicks rocks*
I'm also going to try to shrink my stash by leaving some of products at home for my family to use. I'm going to leave one bottle of HE LTR Leave-In, one bottle of Vatika Oil, one large bottle of Motions CPR, and one jar of HB Olive Cholesterol. I really like those products (except for the Motions CPR, because Aphogee is 100x better for my hair), but I have too many of them and should share. I hope everyone has been successful with the challenge so far!

I have started doing this and its a good thing to do. Its helps me from jumping around from stuff to stuff and never getting back to it.

Back