Anyone having Chlorella side effects?!!

I suspect chlorella is breaking me out but I keep taking it. I've thought about stopping several times but I keeping trying to wait it out because I think it's helping me with my weight. I started breaking out not long after taking that Source Naturals Powder (low dose). My skin was great before that, no problems. I should probably stop taking it.

I suspect chlorella is breaking me out but I keep taking it. I've thought about stopping several times but I keeping trying to wait it out because I think it's helping me with my weight. I started breaking out not long after taking that Source Naturals Powder (low dose). My skin was great before that, no problems. I should probably stop taking it.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A small number of new users may experience a 'healing crisis' as their bodies adjust to chlorella and begin to shed toxins. Some misinterpret this as an allergic reaction, which although possible, is extremely rare, even among sufferers of multiple chemical sensitivity. Examples of these rare detoxification reactions are mild headaches, stomach cramps or nausea, skin blemishes or bowel irregularity.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]These effects usually diminish and disappear within a week to ten days as the body adjusts and begins to work towards biochemical balance, or 'homeostasis'. The suggested daily 'health maintenance' usage is three grams, or nine capsules per day. This may sound a lot, but one must remember that chlorella is a natural whole food and not a chemically-synthesized multivitamin product.[/SIZE][/FONT]

The one I was taking was in powdered form and it's by Lifestream and it's manufactured in New Zealand. I took it mixed with fruit juice.

Gosh, I didn't realize so many other people experienced the same thing! :blush: It really sucks coz it was working really well with no problems for about a month/ month and a half. Then BAM! :wallbash:

OK. Could be you are not taking the best type of Chlorella. This quote is from the Chlorella thread - I don't know about Chlorella from New Zealand, but I suspect it is not as good as the Japanese Yaeyama.

They have also been researched, and therefore, are the highest in CGF, best cost factor, best processing and digestibility, and are all Japanese Yaeyama Chlorella. You DO NOT want to use Chinese Chlorella.

Well I'm sorry you are going through. I take 12g daily and never had a problem and it's been 3 months already. If you want to try again, get the Japanese Yaeyama Chlorella and start out with the lowest serving (2-3g).

OK. Could be you are not taking the best type of Chlorella. This quote is from the Chlorella thread - I don't know about Chlorella from New Zealand, but I suspect it is not as good as the Japanese Yaeyama.

Well I'm sorry you are going through. I take 12g daily and never had a problem and it's been 3 months already. If you want to try again, get the Japanese Yaeyama Chlorella and start out with the lowest serving (2-3g).

This is so true. MSA also stated we should start documenting the problem brands and work from there. Japanese Yaeyama is what you want no matter who makes it, otherwise digestion is going to be a huge problem.

I have also been successful @ 12g since at least Feb. 09 with the Earthrise Chlorella and Spirulina. Started taking Chlorella/Spirulina back in January-no complaints. When I switched brands briefly, I had detox symptoms, but they quickly passed.

I stopped taking it because it had me just so tired! I mean fatigued- it reminded me of the first phase of pregnancy,i could never get enough sleep. Even when i coupled it with spirulina. After about 4 weeks & no improvement, the lack of energy was too much for me. I empty the capsules now & use them for face masks. It's does wonders for my skin!!

A friend of mine started taking it with me at the same time & it would always make her sick. When she finally correlated her vomiting,nausea with the chlorella- she stopped taking it & no more sickness.

Mmmmm. :scratchch
Did you take your Chlorella with food that same day or on an empty stomach?

How do you take it? Do you take powder and make a drink or do you take the pills?

I took the Chlorella (tablet form) after breakfast with orange juice along with my multi vitamin. When I waited a week to retake it, I thought maybe it was the vitamins so I took the Chlorella alone that time after lunch and again I was sick. I did notice my skin looked allot brighter and the dark spots from acne was clearing and I also had more energy. So I did like the benefits I just couldn’t figure out why I started vomiting after taking it for 2 months.

I kinda wish I could have stayed with it reading about all the benefits, but unfortunately for me, after 3 1/2 weeks, I did the violent vomitting thing too. Waited 1 1/2 week to start again at a lower dose, and started getting nauseous from drinking it, so, now I just leave the jar for DH. He said it helped him loose a little weight (which he don't need to loose IMO, but that's another topic. LOL). The brand I had was Source Natural Yaeyama (sp?).

I am so greatful that I am here(alive) today. I have been on chlorella for almost ONE month. I started at a very very low dose and I gradually increased every other day until I was "green". Everything was peachy and I was a happy camper. THEN, last Wednesday, with an unchanged diet and my regular routine I had my beautiful glass of green goodness...but this time something didnt feel kosher after about a half hour. I cried out for my SO for help and told him to call an ambulance(I was buggin' the f-out) I started to throw up VI-O-LEN-TLY from about 7 pm and I didn't stop until about 12 am(I am a God fearing person and this is no lie). My SO didn't call ER cause he was too busy calming me down and cleaning me up, he kept on saying "it's just throw up, it'll cool down." As I was vomiting in a bucket in my balcony(I desperately needed fresh air), I remember looking up to the stars and talking to HIM and said 'my hair is growing just fine and this is not worth my health'.

Of course the next day I did not go to work(I usually never miss work) and today my abdominal area does not hurt as much. I just couldn't wait to get back to my old self. I wish nothing that horrible on anyone. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!I WAS AFRAID! Sorry for the rambling but I somehow knew I couln't be the only one with these episodes. Thank you Jesus, it's in the past. NEVER AGAIN

Last edited:
I'm so happy you guys are talking about your negative experiences (even though it's scaring me). That way, I know what to look out for if I start to feel funny.

You should read the read, it took me awhile to get through it. But, I only started researching it for the health benefits because I was looking for an alternative to synthetic multivitamins. It balances your body because of its vitamin content but it's best when part of a healthy overall diet (drinking water, eating healthy, exercising, etc).

Some people are doing it for hair growth but I think most people stay with it because of the other great outcomes they've seen (increased energy, better skin, fewer cravings for sweets, etc. etc.).

I believe I can safely say most of the women have gone GREEN for the benefits and have accepted hair growth as one of those side benefits, expressing if it helps the hair, fine, if not, the other positives received outweigh all else.

Reading the thread would be beneficial, and there is a quick start guide at the start so reading the entire thread is not really needed.

Check post 1 and 2 of the chlorella thread. Anyone with this kinda problem may have gone to far too fast, or you are allergic. Please read those posts for details. Also examine the way you're eating before taking and mix it up, explained in post #1 and 2

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I'm going to stop being lazy & read through it and do some research. Even if I don't try it, it's good to be informed :yep:. I saw "chlorella" in GNC after I saw people using it here and I asked a guy who worked there about it, but he wasn't much help.

I have a whole bottle of Chlorella in my cabinet because I can't take it. I took it for a while with no problems and then I started to feel really bad on night about midnight. I was feeling dizzy and nauseous. Then all of a sudden around 2 am I was hugging the toilet. It was not a pretty sight. My vomit was green so I knew exactly what the problem was. I haven't taken it since then. I think I am going to use it as a face mask like someone else mentioned.

OK ladies day 2 of taking zantac prior to chlorella, no problems noted last night. I took it with just the zantac not my other vitamins...so far so good. I hope there's not a memorial posted for me on this site next week...just kidding! If I have the same symptoms, I know its not for me. By the way...me being a cardiac NP, I'm a fanatic about my cholesterol, dropped by bad (LDL) cholesterol 10pts by taking flax seed oil, omega 3 and garlic...yippie!!! I may die of chlorella poisoning but it definitely won't be heart disease.!!!

I wonder what the cause of the violent vomiting is. Even though this is a small sample of people, you couldn't ALL be allergic. Maybe chlorella interacts badly with other vitamins?

I never had the vomiting thank GOD just the stomach burning and an episode of explosive diarrhea

oh god i want to try chlorella but this is scaring me to death
I have NEVER had acne even as a teen...
is there anything you can take to counter the acne
like i think i remember reading here that with biotin you should take vitamin b plus to counter the acne

I wonder what the cause of the violent vomiting is. Even though this is a small sample of people, you couldn't ALL be allergic. Maybe chlorella interacts badly with other vitamins?

You maybe on to something....or maybe taking it on an empty stomach as opposed to taking it with a meal and vice versa

I take between 1 to 3 grams a day but I also take Maxi Hair, Flaxseed, Borage and Omega Oil Capsules, Gingko Biloba (studying for an exam)...Luckily I have not had any bad side effects (keeping fingers crossed) I have been taking the Chlorella since March and it has been okay so far....I think my main side effect in the beginning was sleeplessness

If I start throwing up I too will be "chunkin' tha deuce" to Chlorella!!!

I had toast and eggs for breakfast that morning then went to the movies. I didn't eat anything there so I don't know. I generally eat healthy so I doubt it was from what I ate. I would like to take it again but I am just too nervous.

I'm laying here in my bed. I had to leave work early today because I throw up there like three times! Everytime I walk I feel like I'm going to puke. I've been taking my Source Naturals tablets (550gm) for about a month -- and Thursday was the first time I felt a little sick.

I ate a couple hard boiled eggs and popped like 5 of the tablets. Drank some water and kept on working. Hour later...I felt sick. But I did not throw up.

All weekend though, I kept feeling sick. Stomach burning, heart beating fast. I figured it would pass. I took no Chlorella from Thursday night to Monday afternoon (today).

So I ate a salad for lunch today - with boiled eggs on it. Popped like 5 pills. Got so sick like 2 hours later. Puked three times.

At first I was like "How the heck am I allergic to boiled eggs!!" :spinning: Who knows, maybe eggs and chlorella don't mix. It's weird to detox at this stage, but it is what it is! I'm gonna reduce to like two pills...and go from there.

No more hard boiled eggs for me.

I'm laying here in my bed. I had to leave work early today because I throw up there like three times! Everytime I walk I feel like I'm going to puke. I've been taking my Source Naturals tablets (550gm) for about a month -- and Thursday was the first time I felt a little sick.

I ate a couple hard boiled eggs and popped like 5 of the tablets. Drank some water and kept on working. Hour later...I felt sick. But I did not throw up.

All weekend though, I kept feeling sick. Stomach burning, heart beating fast. I figured it would pass. I took no Chlorella from Thursday night to Monday afternoon (today).

So I ate a salad for lunch today - with boiled eggs on it. Popped like 5 pills. Got so sick like 2 hours later. Puked three times.

At first I was like "How the heck am I allergic to boiled eggs!!" :spinning: Who knows, maybe eggs and chlorella don't mix. It's weird to detox at this stage, but it is what it is! I'm gonna reduce to like two pills...and go from there.

No more hard boiled eggs for me.

You may be right! Now that you said that I remember when I tried to take the Chlorella again I had a chicken salad which had a hard boiled egg in it. I was so sick that night. Did this happen to anyone else after eating eggs?

^^^ Nope. I hadn't had eggs when i got sick.

I did take it on an empty stomach tho' i.e. just before bed or in the morning before uni (i don't normally eat breakfast).

I think someone mentioned an interaction with vitamins - I personally wasn't taking any other supplements at the time.

I never had the vomiting thank GOD just the stomach burning and an episode of explosive diarrhea
This ones an easy one to answer. Too bad I haven't gotten your pm or dropped a line in the thread. Diarrhea AND constipation (depending on your body) are both detox signs. Both mean you're detoxing too fast and need to cut back on your intake and up your water. You will have to up your intake slowly as it seems that you have a lot of detoxing to do.:yep:

You maybe on to something....or maybe taking it on an empty stomach as opposed to taking it with a meal and vice versa

I take between 1 to 3 grams a day but I also take Maxi Hair, Flaxseed, Borage and Omega Oil Capsules, Gingko Biloba (studying for an exam)...Luckily I have not had any bad side effects (keeping fingers crossed) I have been taking the Chlorella since March and it has been okay so far....I think my main side effect in the beginning was sleeplessness

No worries not everyone is allergic. :grin:The throwing up is in post #1 and #2 along with what to do to stop it if it happens, or to determine IF you are allergic. Just like anything else, there will be some people with allergies. If you have them you just need to move on of course because nothing is worth risking your life. However, if you combined them with a food that makes you sensitive, cut it out. If you...well just refer to the posts for that.

Spirulina is an excellent compliment to Chlorella. It balances it out. However, SPR is not for everyone. Adding Spr to your diet may help with the side effects. Also, I take mine CHL/SPR first thing every AM on an empty stomach. Then 30 minutes prior to meals. This may help some of you.

Yep, I experienced the violent vomiting and acne. The nausea continued for over a month. I have an appointment with my physician tomorrow to see about the gastro issues.

Nope, Chlorella aint for me. I was really hoping it would work. Oh well. * shrugs.

I came into this thread specifically to see if anyone was experiencing sleep issues. I have been getting up at ~4:00 EVERY night...I was not really keeping track to see if it started when I started taking chlorella. Once I get up I AM UP...and I hate that cause I like to get ALL my sleep. Has anyone else experienced sleep issues...I fall asleep just fine but then I don't stay asleep. I am willing to stick with it if it will pass though.

I have Source Naturals Yaeyama Chlorella and 10 pills are 2 grams. I took 1 pill today, to try to ease my way back in and I still vomited. It wasn't as bad, but I couldn't seem to keep it down.

Maybe I should take it on an empty stomach or right before bed or something.

I came into this thread specifically to see if anyone was experiencing sleep issues. I have been getting up at ~4:00 EVERY night...I was not really keeping track to see if it started when I started taking chlorella. Once I get up I AM UP...and I hate that cause I like to get ALL my sleep. Has anyone else experienced sleep issues...I fall asleep just fine but then I don't stay asleep. I am willing to stick with it if it will pass though.

YES maybe that is why I am not sleeping good. I take 6 grams all at once around 8pm. At the same time I have one inch of growth since I texlaxed on June 2 (if I measured right, and I'm pretty sure I did cuz I measured quite a few times right after the texlax and quite a few times now). Go figure. I have to say its the Chlorella giving the growth and probably the Boundless Tresses. I was/am considering stopping the Chlorella but now I dont know... I NEEDS my sleep.

Is it really worth taking such a large dose? A small dose of chlorella should suffice. Maybe the body is getting too much?:ohwell: If I try it, I will only use one dose a day.

Chlorella has made my face into a pizza, I am soo self conscious now, i have been taking it for 6 months...It helped in every area except my FACE so I dont want to stop taking it. IF anyone has any suggestions to cure this acne beside stopping PLEASE PM ME ...If not I may have to stop which I really really don't want to

Back